Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

No, I would not be worried. I'd have been smart enough to stay home.

Easy to say if you haven't been training for years to get there.

It is a safety issue. These games should not be taking place. I'm positive there are plenty of higher ups holding their breath. It'll be something of a miracle if there are no big disasters. 

@willdob3, from what I understand the water has to be monitored for the proper Ph Balance.  Someone dropped the ball here or there is something wrong with the filtration system for the pool that turned green.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

update 4:41pm et 8/10/16

FINA (international swimming federation) said the reason for the discoloration, which was so severe that pairs divers could not see the partner next to them when they submerged, was because the pool’s water tanks “ran out some of the chemicals” necessary for the water treatment process. A water polo pool adjacent to the diving well also is green.

“As a result the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discoloration,” FINA said. “The FINA Sport Medicine Committee conducted tests on the water quality and concluded that there was no risk to the health and safety of the athletes, and no reason for the competition to be affected.”

Rio spokesman Mario Andrada insisted the “water will be blue from now on” after water experts spent Wednesday morning carrying out a series of tests.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/10/green-water-in-the-diving-pool/885...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

update 4:41pm et 8/10/16

FINA (international swimming federation) said the reason for the discoloration, which was so severe that pairs divers could not see the partner next to them when they submerged, was because the pool’s water tanks “ran out some of the chemicals” necessary for the water treatment process. A water polo pool adjacent to the diving well also is green.

“As a result the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discoloration,” FINA said. “The FINA Sport Medicine Committee conducted tests on the water quality and concluded that there was no risk to the health and safety of the athletes, and no reason for the competition to be affected.”

Rio spokesman Mario Andrada insisted the “water will be blue from now on” after water experts spent Wednesday morning carrying out a series of tests.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/10/green-water-in-the-diving-pool/885...

Good to know.  I hope no one comes down with an illness from diving in that nasty pool.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis

i hope not either.......

the problems, though, have not kept anyone out of the pool as far as i know.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein