Honored Contributor

Re: 'Ring' and Amazon Sued Over Hackers

Good. I'm glad people are suing. If you sell security devices that aren't completely secure and that are too difficult  to use safely for the people you are selling them to, you deserve to be sued.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

If a hacker, much like your neighborhood burglar wants "in", they'll get in.

Adding 2 step authentication? Wonderful. Now they have your smart phone number, too.

@Snowpuppy 

Your post reminded me of something my Dad always said, "Locks only keep honest people out".

So true......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I refuse to have an Alexa or anything like that in my home.  My grown kids, they love it.  I try to tell them my concerns over such devices and they laugh at me.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Of course, we live in a  "show me the money world".  But I believe Ring when they say that no one has hacked their system.  They have seen no evidence of that.  The problem with Ring and similar home security devices that people do not read the directions carefully and they do not follow the multi level security protections.  People are lazy.  On top of that, hard though it is to believe, there are still people who use the same password for everything.  

tend to agree, as I know people who have no idea where to find their router info, such as the password for the router etc. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have any of these devices, but I understand that when you install them, you need to lock down the security so a password is needed to access them.

I remember doing this when I got my Internet so that my service was secure.

if you are going to use one of these devices, it is your responsibility to secure it.  

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I don't know why people complain about lack of privacy if they have a Smart TV or Alexa or other such device. Anytime you use internet you give out information. It goes with the territory. Why can't people understand that? 

@teganslaw 

That's right...it's a choice---- people want all the conveniences of today's technology BUT things like privacy are also sacrificed in the process!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@a cowboy fan wrote:

My husband works for a company that sells these products.  In that case in Mississippi the child gave the code info to her friend and it was the father of the friend who was speaking to the child. My husband and his coworkers were told that in each case the 

security code info was given out.

interesting 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@a cowboy fanThat info makes sense to me.

When a huge company has sold hundreds of thousands of an item and there is a tiny number of problems, I suspect user error until there's reason to think worse.

In the case of the little girl sharing the password -  do children really even need to know the passwords to devices that need to have passwords?

@millieshops 

She's 8 yrs old, and the parents probably taught her how to use the system for times she might be home alone ........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SpurtI thought of that, but even as I was asking my question, I was visualizing a report I'd seen a few years back about parents teaching their little ones never to leave a play spot with a stranger.  Every parent intereviewed insisted THEIR child would never!

Then, the reporter entered the play ground, supposedly searching for a lost puppy.  The little girl whose mother had been certain her child had learned how to be safe, was hand-in-hand with the stranger almost immediately.

So I guess my question for parents of the little ones would be -  which way is your child likely to be safer -  knowing the security code or not being able to use the device because they don't know the code?  I doubt there's an ideal answer, but I also doubt there's any way to design the device to make it safe once the code goes "public."  

Honored Contributor

No way a hacker is getting into these random children scenarios.

That, into itself, should be eyebrow raising.

I feel this was very deliberate by the owner of these devices.

My guess?
(putting on my tinfoil hat)

The owners of these passwords are sold on the Dark Web to pedophiles.

There's some John/Jane Doe in generic suburbia right now

pimping their children out for big-time cash via stragetically

placed child monitors.
And it comes to light when an innocent party finds out.

Just seems REALLY odd the hackers are only discovered 

when kids are involved. 

Sounds crazy, but I've heard of worse...much, much worse.