Honored Contributor

Re: Right now, there are ZERO

[ Edited ]

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

I read the patient died 3 days ago.  Let's celebrate, if we can, that we may be seeing a dramatic decrease in Ebola transmission.

Unfortunately these WHO announcements are hurting the residents. They celebrate being "ebola free" only to be let down again and again. Personally my feelings are if WHO announced the sky was blue I would go outside and double check their statement. 

I agree, they need to just stop with the Ebola "Free" declarations at this point. There really is no such thing anyway and I think it gives people a false sense of security.You can certainly say it is minimized or perhaps even currently under control but " Ebola free"? Yeah not so much.   As a Doctor stated in the article I posted, "The reality is that this outbreak's not over...it has just changed."

And then the fact that many people that have survived Ebola are later dying and many they believe is due to "flare ups" of the virus. They are finding the virus hiding in places like the eyeballs, bodily fluids (if you get my drift), etc. so the virus is still in their bodies even though blood tests had not detected the virus. That is a scary, scary thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

I read the patient died 3 days ago.  Let's celebrate, if we can, that we may be seeing a dramatic decrease in Ebola transmission.

3 whole days, something to celebrate?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

A new case was confirmed 14 hours ago. See BBC News...

We must always be vigilant, ALWAYS.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Now they are worried because the lady who died came into contact with dozens of people.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The U.S. response to Ebola shows me what a powerful difference we can make when we look at something, call it what it is and choose to fight against it.  We led a global response to fight against what we recognized as a danger to us all.  At home we were willing to quarantine those exposed and stop the spread of the virus.  We were questioned when traveling, visiting the doctor, etc. about where we had been to determine if we ourselves posed a risk to others.  We sent military, health care workers, and civilian responders to the source, West Africa to protect all from danger. 

When we choose to recognize a danger and fight against it we make a difference.

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

And now there's that Zika virus to contend with !
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@persiflage wrote:

The U.S. response to Ebola shows me what a powerful difference we can make when we look at something, call it what it is and choose to fight against it.  We lead a global response to fight against what we recognized as a danger to us all.  At home we were willing to quarantine those exposed and stop the spread of the virus.  We were questioned when traveling, visiting the doctor, etc. about where we had been to determine if we ourselves posed a risk to others.  We sent military, health care workers, and civilian responders to the source, West Africa to protect all from danger. 

When we choose to recognize a danger and fight against it we make a difference.

@persiflage

I agree with you and wish we could bring these abilities to focus on some other issues we face right here at home.  Too many times it seems we  shoot potential solutions down w/o trying them.

(All I can get away with saying w/o a hoopla.)

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

I did say "right now".  The disease is not erradicated, nor is it an imminent danger to our shores, as was jinned up just a year ago.

I don't think anyone's being a "debbie downer" to bring up the facts.  But it is nice to know that at this moment, no one is dying from the disease.

@Maudelynn ... this disease is still a threat to the entire world .... a woman died of it just 3 days ago & I believe someone else was diagnosed with it less than 24 hours ago!!!! .... I don't know where you get your information from but, you are incorrect.... they have found that the people that they claimed to be cured have had relapses from the virus ... the virus remains hidden in their bodies in places that a blood test cannot pick up and then it pops up again at which time lots of healthy people could have been affected .... Ebola is still alive & well regardless of what the WHO wants us to believe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

Unfortunately these WHO announcements are hurting the residents. They celebrate being "ebola free" only to be let down again and again. Personally my feelings are if WHO announced the sky was blue I would go outside and double check their statement. 

I agree, they need to just stop with the Ebola "Free" declarations at this point. There really is no such thing anyway and I think it gives people a false sense of security.You can certainly say it is minimized or perhaps even currently under control but " Ebola free"? Yeah not so much.   As a Doctor stated in the article I posted, "The reality is that this outbreak's not over...it has just changed."

And then the fact that many people that have survived Ebola are later dying and many they believe is due to "flare ups" of the virus. They are finding the virus hiding in places like the eyeballs, bodily fluids (if you get my drift), etc. so the virus is still in their bodies even though blood tests had not detected the virus. That is a scary, scary thing.

As with the 'no load HIV' - good news, but still not 'all is well' as the HIV virus is still present, and can lie dormant for up to 10 years.  

Both still a concern, still require vigilence.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

I did say "right now".  The disease is not erradicated, nor is it an imminent danger to our shores, as was jinned up just a year ago.

I don't think anyone's being a "debbie downer" to bring up the facts.  But it is nice to know that at this moment, no one is dying from the disease.

@Maudelynn ... this disease is still a threat to the entire world .... a woman died of it just 3 days ago & I believe someone else was diagnosed with it less than 24 hours ago!!!! .... I don't know where you get your information from but, you are incorrect.... they have found that the people that they claimed to be cured have had relapses from the virus ... the virus remains hidden in their bodies in places that a blood test cannot pick up and then it pops up again at which time lots of healthy people could have been affected .... Ebola is still alive & well regardless of what the WHO wants us to believe.

I got my info from the World Health Organization, but since you you "believe someone else was diagnosed with it less than 24 hours ago" I guess you are the expert.

Thanks for your scientific summarization as to why Ebola is a threat to the world.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.