Valued Contributor

cases of Ebola in the world!  Wonderful news, considering a short time ago, the outbreak was touted as nearly the end of the world!

Glad tidings for a change.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

Re: Right now, there are ZERO

[ Edited ]

Yes true but I sure hope people, especially healthcare people, stay diligent about being able to identify new cases. Because of the nature of the virus and the fact that they stil do not know exactly what animals (and potentially plants, fungus, etc) are host "resevoirs" for the virus, it will only be a matter of time before there is another outbreak. So not "if" but "when". I think the areas where the major outbreaks were learned alot about containing the virus (i.e. stopping the spread) so hopefully that knowledge will help limit the spread of it for the next outbreak.

I am not trying to be a debbie downer, just want people to be aware that the virus has not be completely irradicated from the world and it will be almost impossible for it to ever be. There is alot of research and study still neediing to be done. It isn't like the polio or measles virus where you can completely irradicate it since the ebola virus is a zoonotic disease where the other two are not.

Honored Contributor

I think what they mean is that there are no cases that they know of ......  

Respected Contributor

A new case was confirmed 14 hours ago. See BBC News...

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Valued Contributor

I did say "right now".  The disease is not erradicated, nor is it an imminent danger to our shores, as was jinned up just a year ago.

I don't think anyone's being a "debbie downer" to bring up the facts.  But it is nice to know that at this moment, no one is dying from the disease.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Valued Contributor

I read the patient died 3 days ago.  Let's celebrate, if we can, that we may be seeing a dramatic decrease in Ebola transmission.

Honored Contributor

Now, instead there is this other horrible virus causing bad birth defects like undersized heads and brains (microcephalis). And it is transmitted by a mosquito bite. AND it is already in the carribean so they are expecting to be seeing it soon in Florida.

Honored Contributor

I think people need to stop travelling to Africa and bringing these oddball viruses from there all over the world. Just saying.

Respected Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

I read the patient died 3 days ago.  Let's celebrate, if we can, that we may be seeing a dramatic decrease in Ebola transmission.

Unfortunately these WHO announcements are hurting the residents. They celebrate being "ebola free" only to be let down again and again. Personally my feelings are if WHO announced the sky was blue I would go outside and double check their statement. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____