Honored Contributor

Re: Right in front of my eyes

My DH always takes outgoing mail to the PO.  He doesn't trust to put it in our mailbox.  We no longer have a red flag.  The mail carrier broke it's attachment off from the inside by stuffing too big, too heavy boxes into it.

And then we received a note to replace the mailbox because it was broken.

Since the PO is without enough funds to keep it fully operational, overtime has been discontinued in many areas. They have less time to do more work.  They generally work faster and have cut corners.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

Well, now I want to know what happened LOL but I’m guessing the story didn’t initially show up.  At any rate, with an important bill, I would recommend just driving to a mailbox or post office. I wouldn’t chance leaving it in an unattended mailbox where anyone could grab it.  We’ve had a locked box in a cluster for 20 years so maybe I’m just accustomed to that security. 

@tucsongal @I was standing right there in order to watch the pick up. The nearest mailbox is not close by. 

——————

That makes sense 🙂. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Roscoe the Rascal wrote:

I never thought it was something they had to do and only kind enough to to when delivering something to you.  

Plenty of mail boxes and places you are able to do it yourself.

Not sure you know what you are talking about. Maybe in your state? Where I live they are suppose to stop and pick up our outgoing mail, if we have our flags up.

Also, do you know where @Mindy D lives? How do you know there are plenty of places for her put it in a different mail box. Some folks live in rural areas, some folks also do NOT drive. 

Esteemed Contributor

@red&curly wrote:

One time I asked our post office about this. They said yes they are supposed to pic up outgoing mail even if you are not receiving mail.Part of their job he said.

Understandable if not a mail carrier.There are those that just deliver packages.

I have to mail our electric bill.They only take online for a fee.Stamp is cheaper.

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Straight from the USPS Office of the Inspector General...if you don't have incoming mail, your carrier may not be required to pick up outgoing mail.  You can click the link provided on this page to see what the policy is for your local area.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/hotline-helpful-links 

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 4.00.15 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

I never thought it was something they had to do and only kind enough to to when delivering something to you.  

@Roscoe the Rascal I agree with you it is a courtesy, not a requirement. Can you imagine how long it would take these poor mail carriers if everybody expected them to look for raised red flags to pick up their out going going mail. Unless you are handicapped, or elderly find a box, or go to the post office yourself. 

It's not an issue if they deliver mail to you, since they stop anyway, but come on people it's not that difficult to do yourself.

Honored Contributor

@red&curly wrote:

One time I asked our post office about this. They said yes they are supposed to pic up outgoing mail even if you are not receiving mail.Part of their job he said.

Understandable if not a mail carrier.There are those that just deliver packages.

I have to mail our electric bill.They only take online for a fee.Stamp is cheaper.

My water company is very small and you either mail a check, drop off payment through their drive through window or use their website, for a fee.     I have a free bill pay option with my bank.  All I had to do is set up the water bill by filling in the name & address.   Every month I insert the payment amount, hit Pay & the bank mails the check,    No extra charge.    I've been doing it this way I know for about 10 years

Valued Contributor

Some postal workers are only sent out to make deliveries.  They are not responsible for mail delivery or out going mail pick up.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I would call the postmaster if my mail wasn't being picked up.  That's part of the job.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Not sure you know what you are talking about. Maybe in your state? Where I live they are suppose to stop and pick up our outgoing mail, if we have our flags up.

Also, do you know where @Mindy D lives? How do you know there are plenty of places for her put it in a different mail box. Some folks live in rural areas, some folks also do NOT drive. 

@happycat @Our closest post office was closed for remodeling before the pandemic and it has not reopened. Nearest mailbox isn't close. Our drivers have always picked up from our mailbox and delivered to our mailbox. All residents here have a flag on their box and it's common for residents to use them.