Respected Contributor

Re: Ridiculous Ordering during Pandemic

No, I'm trying to cut my spending as much as I can BUT I've spent a lot on gas & safety supplies volunteering the last 8 weeks...it's  worth it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am right there with you sister!!  I don't know why I am ordering tons of clothes!  I think its because I am at home in sweats all the time.  I feel like i have a part time job of breaking down boxes!

Respected Contributor

A few years back I realized I had such an abundance of 'stuff' I purchased that I really didn't need.   So I put on the brakes big time only buying what is needed.

However I am feeling the itch to buy something.  I'll go and look at something and then talk myself out of it.  We need to replace our windows, may be I'll buy them.

Honored Contributor

I only made one order from Scholastic for books and activities for my two grandchildren.  During the 7 weeks I could not see them I mailed them something from me each week.  Mostly little items I could pick up at Walmart ect.. and mail myself.   But once I saw the schools were done for the year I made the purchase of books for both of them.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@Sunnycorle wrote:

I am right there with you sister!!  I don't know why I am ordering tons of clothes!  I think its because I am at home in sweats all the time.  I feel like i have a part time job of breaking down boxes!

OMG this post made me laugh so hard!  I feel the same exact way!  .  

Honored Contributor

Ok, I ordered a leopard print tote ( fabric ) because apparently I'm helpless when it comes to animal print.  Then I ordered a moissanite ring from JTV, it is a delicate ring with 3 small , but sparkly stones. Neither of these purchases were expensive, but totally unnecessary. I did get a few shirts on sale, and I will wear them, but again unnecessary. I've started deleting emails from stores without reading, it's just safer. 🤷‍♀️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

Why not get a large ottoman with a flip top lid ( got mine from BB&B ) to store those shoes in?   I keep a little silicone - filled packet in each shoe.   The ottoman can serve at the foot of the bed or as a seat at a makeup/ dressing table.

if you have a lot of shoes ( toss the boxes ), get 2 wire racks to create another level and let air circulate.  Wire racks can be used from kitchen department or if you are really handy, reuse the wire shelving from unused closets.  For this you need to suspend the wire from something on the inside walls.  The two-tier approach works great when you have two different seasons of shoes to store.

When we added a small master suite to the mountain place, I needed a place for shoes.  We had bought a sink for my tiny closet that had a large, shallow drawer across the bottom.  All my weekend shoes are there and my walking / running-type shoes are in a corner wire rack under the sink.

Hope that gives you some ideas !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Grouchomarx 

Why not get a large ottoman with a flip top lid ( got mine from BB&B ) to store those shoes in?   I keep a little silicone - filled packet in each shoe.   The ottoman can serve at the foot of the bed or as a seat at a makeup/ dressing table.

if you have a lot of shoes ( toss the boxes ), get 2 wire racks to create another level and let air circulate.  Wire racks can be used from kitchen department or if you are really handy, reuse the wire shelving from unused closets.  For this you need to suspend the wire from something on the inside walls.  The two-tier approach works great when you have two different seasons of shoes to store.

When we added a small master suite to the mountain place, I needed a place for shoes.  We had bought a sink for my tiny closet that had a large, shallow drawer across the bottom.  All my weekend shoes are there and my walking / running-type shoes are in a corner wire rack under the sink.

Hope that gives you some ideas !

Thanks for your ideas!  I will have to get creative. I had been purchasing spring/summer shoes since about the end of February and with the official swap of winter/summer clothes on hold until this weekend, I didn't want to bother with permanent storage so I just kept shoving them under the dresser so my parnter can't see all of them ha ha.  But this weekend, it's time to officially get organized!  I am both looking forward to it and dreading it.  I have three over the door shoe organizers as well as a half wall of shelving in my walk in dedicated to shoes and I still have too many.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

A few years back I realized I had such an abundance of 'stuff' I purchased that I really didn't need.   So I put on the brakes big time only buying what is needed.

However I am feeling the itch to buy something.  I'll go and look at something and then talk myself out of it.  We need to replace our windows, may be I'll buy them.

I wished I had been wiser in my shopping. When I retired I spent hours going through closets, drawers and containers of "work clothes". Many still were wrapped or had tags on them. I ended up donating 3 car loads of clothing. I really should do another purge, I still have more than I need.

Just dealing with that purge, made me realize that I did not need to buy as much.

PS - Must admit, I did buy new Curtis Stone pans. I have numerous nonstick pans. So clearly did not need more. And of course, after I bought them, there was a set with an additional pan for much less. 

Honored Contributor

Yes I bought plenty of things that make no sense now other than they just make me happy...clothing & sandals...where an I wearing these new things? 

I also purchased a "Beauty with Benefits" item just so I could get the bag of goodies (came today!)  so I can be beautiful while wearing my mask out!

I did get a few other items that make sense...a new lounger for the back yard since I'll be spending a lot of time there as well as some lovely baskets of flowers to spruce up the front porch and patio around the back.