Honored Contributor

Re: Rice krispy treats for $79.99?

@brandiwine  and these can be made by you too.

Valued Contributor

@Etoile308 EXACTLY!!
Respected Contributor

This is a bit off topic of specialty RC bars, but out local small town  bakery charged an acquaintance of mine $18 for one  loaf of European style baked bread.  It used to be $8.00. He was shocked. I haven't been in there for years since the business sold five years ago..

During Covid one had to make an appointment to go into the bakery. I wasn't going to be bothered with that idea? I could see limiting numbers inside but appointments to buy bakery goods?

I wonder if some businesses are using inflation  and shortages to price gouge or see what prices the public will bear?  

Respected Contributor

Of course a homemade version can be made. And I suspect they would look like it.

I feel people are purposely being obtuse and missing the point.  I'm certain we all realize Rice Krispy Treats are not the most expensive confection to make. 

The point is that these are not your typical everyday items. They are a specialty item for people that have the money, and want the convenience of a professionally made treat. A true professional event does not offer homemade krispy treats or any homemade items. A corporate event, or basically any work related function concerned about liability these days, does not offer homemade krispy treats or any homemade items. Upscale charity events do not offer homemade krispy treats or any homemade items. 

You find your homemade krispy treats offered at community bake sales and church fundraisers, and the like. And some people here, I dare say, would scoff at the thoughts of paying $2.50 for a square.

There is a market that is not offended by the price.

Have people never walked into a gift store, book store, grocery store and not see krispy treats in cute seasonal shapes and decorations selling for $8 - $12 and thought they were a novel stocking stuffer, gift add-on, or gift wrapping decoration? Perhaps some can walk past thinking they would never pay that price. Fine, but why judge others who may find value in the treat?

Regular Contributor

You can get a 40 bar variety pack of Kellogg's Rice Crispies Treats at Walmart for $10.90.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Of course a homemade version can be made. And I suspect they would look like it.

I feel people are purposely being obtuse and missing the point.  I'm certain we all realize Rice Krispy Treats are not the most expensive confection to make. 

The point is that these are not your typical everyday items. They are a specialty item for people that have the money, and want the convenience of a professionally made treat. A true professional event does not offer homemade krispy treats or any homemade items. A corporate event, or basically any work related function concerned about liability these days, does not offer homemade krispy treats or any homemade items. Upscale charity events do not offer homemade krispy treats or any homemade items. 

You find your homemade krispy treats offered at community bake sales and church fundraisers, and the like. And some people here, I dare say, would scoff at the thoughts of paying $2.50 for a square.

There is a market that is not offended by the price.

Have people never walked into a gift store, book store, grocery store and not see krispy treats in cute seasonal shapes and decorations selling for $8 - $12 and thought they were a novel stocking stuffer, gift add-on, or gift wrapping decoration? Perhaps some can walk past thinking they would never pay that price. Fine, but why judge others who may find value in the treat?

I agree with you @Etoile308 .  Why place judgement on what some are willing to pay for certain products?  We all place value on different products and there may be something you would pay a a lot for where others wouldn't pay two cents.  We're also in different income brackets and our disposable income is not the same.

I have no desire to make krispy treats or any other dessert and I would gladly pay someone if I needed the product.

Honored Contributor

These are a big NO for me; never been a fan, and my family doesn't like them either.