Honored Contributor

I have to thank several of the reviewers of a certain cake that I was considering.  I was going to go for it this time, it looked so good 😊 However, several really negative reviews made me change my mind. Now I know reviews are subjective and the cake might be fine, but in truth we don't need it, and it's kind of expensive for an impulsive purchase. Are you often guided by reviews ?  I'm not always, but these saved me calories and a little cash. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 Oh yes, definitely. I ALWAYS check reviews online before making any purchases, even Ebay items. If no reviews, 99% of the time I do not purchase. In some cases, bad reviews will encourage me to purchase, if someone says a dress is too short then most likely it will be perfect on me since I am short and like my dresses about 3" above the knee. Also, many state apparel items are too thin, perfect for me living in a warm climate.  Because I rely on reviews I ask that only people that have actually purchased the item and tried it, leave a review. And please, only review the item, not the shipping, where the item was  made or issues you have with returning an item. Leave brief informative reviews to help us determine if we would like to purchase. Thank you.

Super Contributor

Yes, I love reviews! As far as purchasing something without a review, it depends on how much I need or want the item--also, if the item is selling out quickly, or if it's on sale for a day. For some items, you have to take a chance. However, if it's something that can wait, I will wait for the reviews to show up. 

Lately, I have been reading reviews where the person made a mistake and reviewed something completely different. I was looking for a food processor the other day online, and I remember reading "it doesn't have much water pressure". What? I think the person was reviewing a water hose or pressure washer or something like that. Water pressure has nothing to do with a food processor. Cat Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I see "misplaced" reviews a lot on various sites...even Q. I also have learned not to post a review for a piece of clothing until I have laundered it. I jumped the gun a few months ago and wrote a rave review for a pair of athletic pants I bought for DH. Then when I washed them, they came apart on one entire seam. No way to fix the review.   

Honored Contributor

I always look at negative reviews first for common complaints.  If I see the same thing, I will not buy.

There are some foods I ordered several times each, I'd give a 10 rating.  Others gave them a 1 - 3.  Never received anything like what they described, but anything is possible.

I always look for those who may have gotten something that was defective, broken, or inconsistent sizing.  I think there are some of those in orders QVC receives from manufacturers they didn't catch when they were spot checking.  

It's the chance we take when we order something.  We may or may not receive an order like that.  

I see some complaints about items I purchased that I thought were very good. They gave 1,2,3's.  

Reviews are just one consideration I use to determine whether I will buy something or not.  

Honored Contributor

For national brands I always check not only QVC Reviews but also Reviews from consumer sites and other retailers....Ive learned a lot doing that and its saved me considerable cash...

QVC's Dyson Rep that said you could run the cordless vcuum on one charge for an hour...she failed to say on hardwood floors and on a low setting....but the Consumer Reports Reviews told the REAL STORY---on the HIGH setting the charge only lasted from 5 to 8 minutes on the HIGH setting, hardwood floors and not dirty carpet ....quite a difference.....🙄 ....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@cjm61 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 Oh yes, definitely. I ALWAYS check reviews online before making any purchases, even Ebay items. If no reviews, 99% of the time I do not purchase. In some cases, bad reviews will encourage me to purchase, if someone says a dress is too short then most likely it will be perfect on me since I am short and like my dresses about 3" above the knee. Also, many state apparel items are too thin, perfect for me living in a warm climate.  Because I rely on reviews I ask that only people that have actually purchased the item and tried it, leave a review. And please, only review the item, not the shipping, where the item was  made or issues you have with returning an item. Leave brief informative reviews to help us determine if we would like to purchase. Thank you.

@cjm61 

That's a sore spot with me, they keep posting invalid Reviews (according to QVC's own Review Guidelines)---a lot of them are shipping delays, improper packing the item arrived broken, or the fact that QVC sold out of the color and size they wanted....so if the Reviews supposedly are checked before posting the person in charge is not reading their own Guidelines! Ive reported the improper ones and this impacts the items Review Rating...it seems more Vendors would also be complaining about this....QVC verifies purchase on some, but not the most important ---is the review even valid---The Guidelines state to contact CS on shipping issues, delays etc etc not include them in Reviews!...SMH!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

I am recently  unable to see the reviews on all items.  Does anyone else have this problem. Never before a problem.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your response.  When i click on reviews near the top page of a particular item nothing populates.  So I am unable to read them.  Even items that are not on TV that day.  I never had this problem before.  

Respected Contributor
Ratings alone can be deceiving, so I always check reviews. I don't, however, consider those from a product's site, as ratings can be manipulated by deleting negative reviews.

That's why I like reviews on the Amazon or even Walmart site. The first thing I do, is request LATEST reviews because formulas, ingredients, and product quality often change. I also disregard those one or two-star reviews where it's clear that the purchaser did NOT read the product specs ("I thought this was a 3-pack"), yet their poor reviews negatively impacted the rating.

So, yes, I find reviews to be very helpful in assessing a product's quality, as long as I weed out those which reflect shopping errors on the part of the purchaser.

What worries you masters you.