Super Contributor

Review of 55+ active adult community in Lancaster, PA

Took a trip to Bird-in-Hand, PA earlier this week and stayed at the Amish View Inn (very nice!). The goal for DH and myself was to look at the active adult community in Mount Joy called "Traditions of America." Here's my review.

This is a smaller community which will have a total of about 244 homes. There are 60 more lots available. The average home price ranges from $245,000 to $270,000 (not including any upgrades). Basements are availalbe, as well as second floor lofts. The maintenance/clubhouse fee is $158/month. Taxes range from $2,800 to $3,800.

Overall, we liked this development a lot. The home's are well-designed and were originally started by Hovnanian, then taken over by Traditions. It's in a good location; on one end of the development, there is a a good-sized grocery store run by the Mennonites, with a great selection of items. On the other end of the development is a shopping plaza, with a supermarket, pizza parlor/restaurant, Chinese foodplace and a restaurant called "Isaac's Grilled Sandwiches" (we ate there -- very, very good!). So it's only about a 2 minute ride on each end to reach a store. The main part of town is very close, with other shopping plazas too.

The only drawback for us was how quiet it was. There was not a soul in the clubhouse. We've visiited several developments in South Jersey, and those places were hopping. There were lifestyle directors and bulletin boards with tons of activities posted. Since we live in the city (by NYC), the Mount Joy site would be such a big change. I'm ready to move on and get away from city living, the taxes, the horrendous traffic, etc., but DH is sort of reluctant. We plan to go back in the spring and visit another new community called Hometown Square in Ephrata, PA, and I'll post a review when I return.

There's a great restaurant in Mount Joy called "Bube's Brewery," an old beer factory converted to a restaurant with multiple levels of dining. You go on a short tour first before being seated. We ate down in the "catacombs," a few levels underground, with rock walls and ceilings and old, gigantic beer barrels. This place is a must for those visiting Lancaster!

All in all, it was a nice relaxing trip and great to be among all the friendly, peaceful Amish and Mennonites. Oh, and DH just loved the smell of manure in the air -- he says it brings you back to "nature"!!!

Hope this review was helpful and that everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving.

Super Contributor

Re: Review of 55+ active adult community in Lancaster, PA

Very helpful thanks!