Honored Contributor

Re: Reverse of being a Snow Bird

@Kachina624 wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@aoldgirl wrote:

I'm with you, granddi,  Im so tired of hot, hot high humidity. and with the heat comes bugs.  can't bearly walk outside with out sweating and swating bugs.  biteing flys.  I'm thinkin Maine, vermont or up michigan.  

We moved to the DFW area and the heat and humidity of July and August have pushed us to look for a cooler get away. Ideally we would like a 3 month rental but purchase could be considered. We need more than a week get away. The heat, humidity and bugs make outdoor activities miserable.

I guess Colorado is the obvious choice. We loved our visits to Vermont. It may be resolved at least short term with a long term lease? Just wondered where any of you go to to escape the heat.

Yes, I do understand that Snow Birds have 2 homes. 

@granddi   My parents and I used to spend lots of summer time in Lake City, Colorado, a charming out of the way village.  There were so many Texas license plates, it was hard to remember what state you were in.  Same with Ruidoso, NM.

Mom used to say, "if Texas is so great and wonderful, how come everybody leaves it?" 

@Kachina624 

I get your point!  I never visit the beach in my home state (NC) between June and October, way too crowded.  So many tags from Ohio, I wonder if anyone can be left there!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I can't stand the heat and humidity.  I live in the Southeast now.  We hardly get any Spring.  It's straight to summer.  I love the cooler weather months.  My husband thinks I'm nuts.

Esteemed Contributor

The older I get the less tolerable I find the heat and humidity.  I love Florida and it's weather but would only visit, not live there.  I live in New England where luckily the seasons are short so when I start to get tired of the weather, it changes.   

Super Contributor

I live In Colorado too and agree. A quick trip to the mpuntains on a hot day can usually cool you down. I do not like a lot of snow and the bare trees get depressing. But in the Spring, Summer  (most) and Fall I love it! I have mature trees and Lilac bushes and when they are in bloom and in full flowering mode I am in heaven! 

Respected Contributor

@patbz

Wow, I didn't realize the increase was that large. 

Honored Contributor

When I lived in southern Louisiana, I was fascinated to learn that heat-wilted Louisianians have a cool escape route, that they have gone to for generations, much the way New Yorkers have traditionally escaped their hot, humid summers by fleeing to the Adirondacks.

Where was it?   The New Orleanians I knew went to beautiful, remote Highlands, North Carolina and environs for relief from heat. I went there with friends from N.O. one year, and loved the peaceful mountains and forests.  Highlands is not far from historic, arty Asheville, North Carolina, so it's doubly attractive...

Respected Contributor

@spiderw 

Ditto what you said!  Like you, my energy gets zapped in the heat & humidity here in W. MA. as well.  If I would think of relocating, it most likely would be:  Maine, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming .. you know the big open spaces.  And, not nearly as crowded as FL & AZ.  I have to admit, I'd really miss the coastal areas though.  Pros/cons to everything though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

When I lived in southern Louisiana, I was fascinated to learn that heat-wilted Louisianians have a cool escape route, that they have gone to for generations, much the way New Yorkers have traditionally escaped their hot, humid summers by fleeing to the Adirondacks.

Where was it?   The New Orleanians I knew went to beautiful, remote Highlands, North Carolina and environs for relief from heat. I went there with friends from N.O. one year, and loved the peaceful mountains and forests.  Highlands is not far from historic, arty Asheville, North Carolina, so it's doubly attractive...

There are strong connections between North Carolina and Louisana, we have much in common.  

Tradition, Culture, Cuisine.

NC Generations visiting New Orleans  for the Season in February and March.

I know what it means 

To miss New Orleans

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

My husband and I spend about five months in Arizona, near Phoenix, and head back to Washington state when it's getting too hot.  I always say that this will be our last year but back we go again 😏

Honored Contributor

Sceniccoast!

The states you mentioned are nice wide open spaces but I love the ocean and would want that nearby.  To be honest I have reasons why I wouldn't move to certain states but that will remain private.  It is our choice to live where we are happy and comfortable, my heart yearns for Martha's Vineyard and Bar Harbor.  LOL!  Thanks for your response!!!!