Trusted Contributor

Relevance- are grocery bags safe?  Age risk factor.  Everyone will interpret all the information out there their own way.  I just happened to look at the age statistics and  realized that fact. Since this is really another risk-factor forum I put it in there.  I was kinda surprised it was that high.  Otherwise just another statistic.  Not trying to offend anyone or anything.  

Respected Contributor

I was using my own bags before the pandemic. Then stores started having plastic again which was great. Now they have paper or none at all. So I'm back to my own bags again. I just pack my own stuff. I don't feel any paranoia about the bags posing a health risk. I just use sanitizer after shopping and wash my hands when I get home and after unpacking goods. Even if the bags have virus particles on them, unless I shove the bag into my face and inhale it, there is no risk of it infecting me. It's a matter of minding your own behavior. People are obsessed with surface contamination when in fact it's considered a very unlikely means of getting the virus. You really need it in your respiratory system to get sick. 

Honored Contributor

We pick up our groceries and they use plastic bags. Not my favorite thing. We store them away long enough for any virus to die and then reuse them. Not going to quibble with Kroger about it right now or try to get them to use our bags. Their workers' jobs are hard enough as it is and I am just grateful for their service.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

Relevance- are grocery bags safe?  Age risk factor.  Everyone will interpret all the information out there their own way.  I just happened to look at the age statistics and  realized that fact. Since this is really another risk-factor forum I put it in there.  I was kinda surprised it was that high.  Otherwise just another statistic.  Not trying to offend anyone or anything.  

Children have died from Covid. Young adults have died from Covid. It is highly contagious and is quite often an awful sickness to endure even when you do survive. Young adults have had to get lung transplants. My step brother is just getting over it and he and his wife had a horrible time (excruciating headaches, inability to get warm, they had to spend hours taking warm baths, and many other after effects they are still disovering) and still had to care for their children while extremely ill. It's not something to blow off or play around with.

If, as you claim, it were perfectly safe to touch surfaces with the virus on them, why do we have to use hand sanitizer and wash our hands? Because it is not safe to touch surfaces with the virus on them. Covid is highly contagious.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

Re: Reusable Grocery Bags

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain as someone in the healthcare field explained awhile ago, covid19 is a respiratory disease and is looking for our lungs via our mouth, nose and thru the mucosa in our eyes.  So, if we touch a surface that someone with covid-19 sneezed or coughed on, it would only be a danger to us if we then put our fingers into our mouth, nose or our eyes after we touched those infected body fluids.  I use hand sanitizer and keep alcolohol wipes in my purse but when I get home I wash with soap and water all the way up to my elbows as a matter of fact.  It would be nice if stores had a sink station interspersed throughout stores without having to go into a bathroom and sink stations with auto on sensors.  

Honored Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@Porcelain as someone in the healthcare field explained awhile ago, covid19 is a respiratory disease and is looking for our lungs via our mouth, nose and thru the mucosa in our eyes.  So, if we touch a surface that someone with covid-19 sneezed or coughed on, it would only be a danger to us if we then put our fingers into our mouth, nose or our eyes after we touched those infected body fluids.  I use hand sanitizer and keep alcolohol wipes in my purse but when I get home I wash with soap and water all the way up to my elbows as a matter of fact.  It would be nice if stores had a sink station interspersed throughout stores without having to go into a bathroom and sink stations with auto on sensors.  

If you bring the virus into your home on an item and don't clean it off the item, you can touch the item at any point and the virus will still be on there for several days. It can get on your hands after you wash them and then get on your face quite easily that way.

In my neck of the woods, delivery people are not wearing masks, so I do consider it important to clean things off. And in stores, some shoppers do not comply with safety rules, so they are getting the virus on the items on the shelves. Those items can end up in my grocery bag. Items are not cleaned individually at the store before bagging.

I don't want to be concerned about anything in my home having virus on it and then feeling all OCD about handwashing just in case all the time. Much more sensible, in my situation, to make sure everything is clean once it crosses my threshhold. But people can do whatever they like and cope however they need to.

Honored Contributor

I have only used my reusable bags at Aldi's and Sam's Club and even then, I don't take them into the store, but I bag at the trunk of my car in the lot, straight out of the shopping cart. 

I don't take them into other stores right now as i don't want them on public surfaces, or touched by others during this time. 

Even years before Covid, I didn't use them in cold and flu season, as I didn't want them handled by other people. 

I appreciate and re use plastic shopping bags. We line bathroom trash cans with them, use them for cleaning out the litter box, transport things in them from home to other places where we don't want to loose our reusable bag, like donation centers with clothing in them. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  we use the plastic bags the same as you do, I have a trashcan under my kitchen sink that has handles on the side so those plastic grocery bags fit in fine, haven't used kitchen trash bags in a long time. If you have too many plastic grocery bags the grocery store has a huge box by the door that will recycle them. So far where I live they don't charge you for bags.

Honored Contributor

We can't use them here. Any plastic bags of any kind - including QVC bags - go into "quarantine" for 3 days.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I haven't totally figured out what's happening in my area of NY. One chain has gone back to bring your own bad. One still has the plastic bags, at least at the self checkout. The third will offer you a paper bag but I don't know if they are back to charging for it. I was just getting trained to bringing my bags when they told us to stop and I have to retrain myself to start again.