Honored Contributor

Re: Returning to Instore Shopping

I changed my shopping habits years before retirement, in an effort to adjust to a monthly income instead of 4 paychecks each month.  Covid did not affect my shopping, other than prove that the way I shop works extremely well for the 4 of us.  

The only stores I have been in for the last 8 years are my local grocery store, Kroger 2-3 trips a year, CVS, Dollar General, and about 2-3 trips to Sam's Club.   

I am not a shopper, and never go to the mall.  I view shopping as time wasted that I cannot get back.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@PreKteacher wrote:

I'm not in your situation, as I have never been fully quarantined. I just wanted to give you some encouragement, because if you've been fully vaccinated, you are 100% protected from a severe enough case of covid as to cause hospitalization or death. Yes, it's still possible to get the virus and feel sick, but you are fully protected from severe disease from the virus. You should feel comfortable going to a grocery store once in a while. 

I agree!  What is the point of getting fully vaccinated if you're still fearful of being among people and doing simple everyday things?

I'm not vaccinated and my only "at risk" is being 66.  I only really kept my distance in the early weeks last spring...as in having groceries delivered and I would also disinfect all of my mail and any groceries or packages that came into the house. 

However after reading a lot I realized that the way the virus is transmitted is by being in close contact with someone breathing near you for more than just a few seconds (as in walking past someone in a store). it is highly unlikely to transmit the virus from a surface.

Of course I take precautions by wearing a mask, and washing hands, but I also take lots of Vitamins D, K, C, B complex, Zinc & quercetin.

@haddon9, the problem occurs when too many people decide to let others bear the brunt of getting vaccinated. It not only slows down herd immunity but is also not good citizenship. Of course, I'm not talking about people who can't take the virus or who are fearful of it.

@suzyQ3 Are you saying that people should continue to not go anywhere even if they are fully vaccinated?

@haddon9, I'm baffled at how you interpreted my post. No, of course I don't think that fully vaccinated people shouldn't go anywhere (unless maybe those who are extremely high risk).

My apologizes if I somehow gave you that impression. We're now going out (safely).

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 One of the problems with the written word sometimes.  Much different than actually discussing in person...have a great afternoon. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@suzyQ3 One of the problems with the written word sometimes.  Much different than actually discussing in person...have a great afternoon. Smiley Happy

@haddon9you speak the truth. :-)

And the same wish for you.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I've stopped being jealous of people that managed to get vaccinated.  Since I don't think I'll be vaccinated the rest of this year, I'm still doing Instacart.  Not sure even if I am, going back to in store shopping.  It's convenient to me, working from home.  

@songbird  I don't know what state you're in, or how things are going there. But I know in my own state, what you describe has been a sadly typical experience. But the good news is it seems like at least here, availability is ramping up very quickly! My age group only became eligible Friday, and on Friday I had already managed to schedule two different appts on my first try with each site...the first one was for next week but the second one was for the next day...so I already got dose 1 yesterday. I hope that means more availability in your area too, for the people who want it.

Honored Contributor

I'm happy to be alive and well and could give a rip about shopping. I have discovered I don't need it really.