Respected Contributor

Re: Returning to Instore Shopping

@On It   Welcome to the forums and thank you for responding to my post. I look forward to seeing more of your opinions here.

Regular Contributor

Both my husband and myself have been fully vaccinated for over a month and I do not care if I ever shop instore again !  I just hope stores like Target will continue drive up, etc after pandemic is over.   It is a dream come true having groceries show up at my doorstep !  I have been pleased with Instacart and Giant Eagle grocery chain taking such good care of us !

PS   I did receive the wrong order once. Because of covid they could not exchange so told me to keep/ donate wrong order.  Must have been family with kids- our local food bank was thrilled.  My new order arrived within two hours !

Esteemed Contributor

@Suzy Q from PA couldn't agree more! If I never have to venture into a big box anything it'll be too soon!  I've taken advantage of online ordering, delivery and drive up grocery pickup as well as Target runs.

@deepwaterdotter has a great idea in that farmers markets will be opening soon. I take advantage of the markets when open. Depending on the market, you can also find farm eggs, cheeses and fresh baked goods.

Trusted Contributor

DH and I got our second vaccines on Tuesday. When the two weeks are up we will follow the new CDC guidelines of what you can do and what you still shouldn't do. I am sure that the guidelines will be revised many times as more people are vaccinated and herd immunity is finally reached. 

Honored Contributor

@turtle52 wrote:

DH and I got our second vaccines on Tuesday. When the two weeks are up we will follow the new CDC guidelines of what you can do and what you still shouldn't do. I am sure that the guidelines will be revised many times as more people are vaccinated and herd immunity is finally reached. 

ITA, @turtle52 However, the CDC doesn't weigh in as to instore shopping or eating inside restaurants.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This is such an individual decision. My husband and I, although seniors, have no underlying issues that would make us more vulnerable than just our age.

We are both immunized. We aren't going out just to go out, but I am now shopping for groceries. Like you, I've pretty much had it with delivery. Masks are still mandated in stores, and everyone seems to comply.

If you really are eager to go grocery shopping, what about going at a time when there aren't crowds? Wear one or two masks and sanitize well.

However, if you're going to become extremely worried, then it might not be worth it just yet.

We are fully vaccinated seniors. Our tolerance level for taking risks has been effected by personally knowing 2 people who have died as a result of COVID and 2 who have had serious disease (months in the hospital). Those things have given us pause as to which activities are in our comfort level.

Last week we went to Target very early and the store was very empty. We saw one shopper with out mask. We wore double masks, wiped the cart and stayed away from others. It was s simple pleasure to select apples! We were in the store for about 40 minutes and agreed that it was a good outing. 

We have eaten totally outdoors a few times.

Yesterday I masked up and went into Talbots and spent about 20 minutes. A clerk greeted a customer who said "I would like to just look around. I have not been in the store for one year"

Texas has lifted mask mandates.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This is such an individual decision. My husband and I, although seniors, have no underlying issues that would make us more vulnerable than just our age.

We are both immunized. We aren't going out just to go out, but I am now shopping for groceries. Like you, I've pretty much had it with delivery. Masks are still mandated in stores, and everyone seems to comply.

If you really are eager to go grocery shopping, what about going at a time when there aren't crowds? Wear one or two masks and sanitize well.

However, if you're going to become extremely worried, then it might not be worth it just yet.

We are fully vaccinated seniors. Our tolerance level for taking risks has been effected by personally knowing 2 people who have died as a result of COVID and 2 who have had serious disease (months in the hospital). Those things have given us pause as to which activities are in our comfort level.

Last week we went to Target very early and the store was very empty. We saw one shopper with out mask. We wore double masks, wiped the cart and stayed away from others. It was s simple pleasure to select apples! We were in the store for about 40 minutes and agreed that it was a good outing. 

We have eaten totally outdoors a few times.

Yesterday I masked up and went into Talbots and spent about 20 minutes. A clerk greeted a customer who said "I would like to just look around. I have not been in the store for one year"

Texas has lifted mask mandates.

@granddi, I have to say that I feel fortunate that we still have mask mandates here in California. And I have not encountered any unmasked people when I shop for groceries. But as I understand it, my wearing a mask primarily prevents others from possibly getting the undetected (asymptomatic) virus from me. Either way, it helps me feel safer.

We are all going through this transition based on our comfort level. I'm still finding mine. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

I'm pretty much where you are as far as going out.  I have been to the nursery, outside of course.  Also the pharmacy.  These for the first time in a year.  Oh, also Trader Joes.

Here's what I do.....double mask or N95 if you have one, go early when they open (even if its 6 am) with fewer shoppers, take a list, get in and out, don't linger.  If you take a list, you won't get home and say you forgot something.  That's what I did at Trader Joes.  If you don't go early, you'll be nervous around other shoppers.  Mask off, hand sanitize in the car.  Bagging will depend on your market's procedures.  

Trusted Contributor

I am more comfortable shopping in a big box store like a Costco or Wal-Mart as long as it's not at a busy time, such as very early or at dinnertime, and definitely not on the weekends.   I figure a warehouse store has more airspace so the concentration of covid germs I'm likely to be exposed to is greatly reduced.  I haven't been in an Aldi's, Publix, or Trader Joe's in over a year.  The most people I've been around in a year was this afternoon at CVS when I received my first vaccine shot!

Trusted Contributor

Since you're vaccinated I'd say you are safe to go to the grocery store. I've been going to the store for the entire time, probably twice a week, with no problem. People tend to be good about not hovering over others so you really just have to deal with passing people in the aisles and the odds are slim that you'd be infected that way. Go when the stores are less busy, although I'd recommend that no matter what. I like to make my shopping quick, virus or no virus.