Trusted Contributor

Re: Return of social groups?

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Deree wrote:

Well it comes down to one's priorities I guess.  Some people  will prioritize a social gathering over their health.

What's even more perplexing are people engaging in these activities given the dire straits this country is in right now.

And a buffet no less.  lordy. The common sense is baffling.

It does not necessarily have to be one or the other, there are ways to have both safely.

If I want to reduce my risk of getting sick I would decline.  If I want to increase my risk of getting sick I would go. It's kind of like simple math.  Like I said it's all about priorities.

There are many things that you can do to reduce your risks and still enjoy social gatherings.   Life is a balance.  Hiding in your house is not living.

And everyone can choose whatever level of risk they like.  I don't think anyone can dispute the Fact that there ARE different levels of risk which is the only point I'm trying to make here.  You choose your level of risk and I'll choose mine. Smiley Happy

ETA:  If people had erred on the side of caution during this pandemic then we wouldn't now have 41 states in very grim circumstances. 

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Return of social groups?

@kitty60 wrote:

We belong to a couple of different groups that meet monthly.  Gatherings have stopped during this pandemic.  One group has decided to return to a monthly meeting, gathering at a restaurant offering a buffet.  No way I will go.  I am sure no one will distance and that food being out just bothers me.  The other has decided to meet having an outdoor BBQ and practicing distancing.  I was thinking this would be ok but now all I can think is everyone bringing a side dish and it sitting out among all the people.  I don't know if I am over reacting or not. I know I have to return to normal sometime but over 65 and in a state where numbers are climbing, not sure I want to take the chance.

I don't think you're over-reacting at all.  I also think people can start getting together again as long as it's done intelligently.

There's no way I would do anything with a buffet.  Absolutely not, and probably not for a very long time.  It's not worth the risk.  

I also wouldn't do anything indoors.  Outdoors, yes, but not with shared food.  Everyone bringing their own and getting together for a picnic in the park (with appropriate social-distancing) sounds fine to me.  

What I think it comes down to is knowing the people who will be there and how much we can trust them to act responsibly.  And of course it comes down to personal choice.   If the idea is to relax with friends, I want to be able to do that.  If I thought I might be uncomfortable, for sure I would stay home.