Honored Contributor

Re: Return of social groups?

@Nuttmeg wrote:

This virus has only one goal of staying alive by moving from host to host.

It does not care, if it's host lives or dies.

People have to be smarter than a virus.

The senior citizens I know are smarter than a virus. They attend church services on Facebook and Bible study on a conference call. 

I live in NJ. The Governor runs the show. He just told us we have to wear masks in public at all times.  The infection rate increased by a tiny percentage. 

There are many messages. The sound of this virus should direct you what path to follow

Nicely poetic and so true, @Nuttmeg. I wish everybody concentrated primarily  on our health safety. Everything else would then follow.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Well it comes down to one's priorities I guess.  Some people  will prioritize a social gathering over their health.

What's even more perplexing are people engaging in these activities given the dire straits this country is in right now.

And a buffet no less.  lordy. The common sense is baffling.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't even know how anyone could enjoy going out socially or being around many people.    I would be constantly worried about whether someone near me had the virus.

I'm not a person who really enjoys social events so I'm not particularly missing them.  I do miss going to stores and doing my own shopping.  We are mostly using either Amazon delivery or else curbside pick-up.    

I'm not usually a person who panics easily but this virus has definitely changed me. I'm so aware of how quickly you can go from healthy to violently ill.   

I have no problem giving up my shopping trips and wearing my masks if I have to be around anyone other than my husband.   It's such a small sacrifice to ask so that we both can be (hopefully) around to enjoy next summer.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Well it comes down to one's priorities I guess.  Some people  will prioritize a social gathering over their health.

What's even more perplexing are people engaging in these activities given the dire straits this country is in right now.

It does not necessarily have to be one or the other, there are ways to have both safely.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I think just about everyone here is "of a certain age."  It isn't surprising to read so much fear.  Still sad, though.

Any stats on death rate on those "of a certain age"?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I doubt any place is doing a normal buffet.  At the very least I'm guessing others will be serving the food.  

@Mominohio, ITA with your post.   

I also wish some people would realize not every city and town is in the same boat with the virus, although they quickly could be.   I'm in a suburb of Cleveland and have several friends and some family in nursing.  Cleveland is in a county that is considered a hot spot and as of this evening a mask mandate goes into effect.  One of the nurses commented on social media that she is very nervous because if Cleveland gets hit bad, my city would be taking the overflow.       

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I don't even know how anyone could enjoy going out socially or being around many people.    I would be constantly worried about whether someone near me had the virus.

I'm not a person who really enjoys social events so I'm not particularly missing them.  I do miss going to stores and doing my own shopping.  We are mostly using either Amazon delivery or else curbside pick-up.    

I'm not usually a person who panics easily but this virus has definitely changed me. I'm so aware of how quickly you can go from healthy to violently ill.   

I have no problem giving up my shopping trips and wearing my masks if I have to be around anyone other than my husband.   It's such a small sacrifice to ask so that we both can be (hopefully) around to enjoy next summer.    

@J Town Girl, nothing wrong with a little panic if it gets us to take the precautions seriously. It's a heck of a lot better than the alternative.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Not in my world.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Deree wrote:

It does not necessarily have to be one or the other, there are ways to have both safely.

If I want to reduce my risk of getting sick I would decline.  If I want to increase my risk of getting sick I would go. It's kind of like simple math.  Like I said it's all about priorities.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Deree wrote:

If I want to reduce my risk of getting sick I would decline.  If I want to increase my risk of getting sick I would go. It's kind of like simple math.  Like I said it's all about priorities.

There are many things that you can do to reduce your risks and still enjoy social gatherings.   Life is a balance.  Hiding in your house is not living.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.