Honored Contributor

Re: Return of social groups?

@kitty60 - FWIW:

A lot of people are missing things these days. As far as your outdoor barbecue, I would probably pass.

I will tell you though that DD went to an "outdoor" celebration. She took her dish in a disposable container and left it for the hostess to toss after the party. According to the experts there is no danger from food itself. They used plastic utensils to eat and to serve. They all wore masks except when they ate, and then they scattered to chairs that were set up around the big yard. Only one girl at at time went to the "buffet" table. There were probably about 10 of them. 

I know we all have to "get out there" eventually, but that time will come. I don't think you're overreacting. We are missing a lot of major events this summer, but it's our choice. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm all for people doing what they are comfortable with, and if you have to over think or stress too long on the details, it means (to me) you probably don't need to be participating. 

I don't think people, especially with underlying conditions, can be too careful. And I think there are lots of people that will be fine with very little precautions right now. I guess each of our jobs is to first and foremost know where we fall in that spectrum and make our decisions based on it.

What is right for me, might not be for you or the next guy. I'm opting to not join a lot of friends and family in many things right now. Not so much for myself, but to protect bringing anything to my elderly mom. 

The sad and hard to accept part of this is that life for many people will not be normal for a very long time (or not the same ever again), and they/we are going to miss out on a lot of things. Everyone is different in their level of comfort with risk, be it sky diving, investing and now this. 

Don't hesitate to do you, and be ok with being cautious. 

@Mominohio While I certainly respect your right to have an opinion, I don't agree with it. Why do you think we have seen alarming numbers of those infected? It is because people are not willing to mask up, social distance when necessary and even continue to shelter in place when they can.

The way in which people have responded to this virus shows a selfish, uncaring and immature society. It amazes me when a group of 40 somethings bemoan restrictions placed on them comparing it to living in prison. It seems as if they would rather a spouse or a child die than to have to wear a mask. Again, their choice, but seems like a high price to pay to me. And just to be clear I am no fan of wearing a mask, but I do.

We don't know what long-term ramifications might be to our bodies once infected. Damage to kidneys? Heart? I just heard Tom Hanks on tv say he has less antibodies which means he can be infected a second time. Will a second bout likely have a more devastating outcome? We simply don't know.

And finally, let's think about the long-term ramifications this will have on our healthcare system. We will all be paying far more for far less services. Something we ALL could have prevented.

So to suggest "you do you" really isn't you doing you at all when it can affect (or should I say infect) me.

Respected Contributor

I have never liked carry in's or buffets before this time. Even though I have gone to buffets before but stopped.  I dont like carry in's with different people making food, I just cant eat the food.

Esteemed Contributor

This virus has only one goal of staying alive by moving from host to host.

It does not care, if it's host lives or dies.

People have to be smarter than a virus.

The senior citizens I know are smarter than a virus. They attend church services on Facebook and Bible study on a conference call. 

I live in NJ. The Governor runs the show. He just told us we have to wear masks in public at all times.  The infection rate increased by a tiny percentage. 

There are many messages. The sound of this virus should direct you what path to follow. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

excellent idea!  We have a group that does "monthly dinner" which is now outside in the area under some nice trees.

Many had the same concerns as the poster, then, someone suggested everyone bring their own dinner & drinks!  Perfect solution.

Everyone had a nice picnic night and got to socialize a bit with friends.  They've been doing this all through the "stay at home" order and obviously, it's been working because no one in our community is sick or has been infected to date. (fingers crossed)

(I'm not part of the group but know many who are.)

Honored Contributor

20+ years ago I stopped going to buffets after I had food poisoning from bad soup. 

Even now (and before) the thought of everyone putting their hands on those utensils and touching the food creeps me out!

Esteemed Contributor

In NJ, no indoor dining, no buffets.  I live in a Condominium in N Jersey.  We've closed our community room but if we choose to allow gatherings, limited to 10, no buffets or shared dishes.  If you rent the room for a gathering, you must provide a Covid-19 monitor and a person to sanitize the bathrooms and assure social distancing in bathrooms.  So to sit down and eat indoors at a buffet is way down the road for us and something I'd not do at this point even if it were possible 

Valued Contributor

The way I look at it is, nothing is worth risking my health. I'd rather err on the side of caution and I don't like the inside of hospitals.  I don't need to experience covid-19.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

In NJ, no indoor dining, no buffets.  I live in a Condominium in N Jersey.  We've closed our community room but if we choose to allow gatherings, limited to 10, no buffets or shared dishes.  If you rent the room for a gathering, you must provide a Covid-19 monitor and a person to sanitize the bathrooms and assure social distancing in bathrooms.  So to sit down and eat indoors at a buffet is way down the road for us and something I'd not do at this point even if it were possible 

@Stray

I live in NJ. The association had a meeting the other day, and closed down all community activities until further notice. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Stray

I live in NJ. The association had a meeting the other day, and closed down all community activities until further notice. 

@Nuttmeg - all of our common areas were closed 3/21.  We just voted the week of 6/15 to keep our pool closed much to the dismay of residents.  We are in the process of reopening some areas but with very strict precautions but all events/private bookings are canceled