Honored Contributor

Re: Return Label and Return Fee

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@cheech1What's unfair about it?   The company probably gets a volume discount, but customers aren't volume mailers.   And the handling part of the cost is greater for returns than for sending.  There are probably more differences, but those two come to mind immediately.

As for products that require expensive replacement paerts you say are available for less elsewhere -  can't you buy the replacement parts wever you want to?  I know I buy replacement brushes for my Clarisonic brush that I bought from QVC in other places and no one ever told me I committed retail crime.

@millieshops  @cheech1 

IMO, the "handling" of purchases and returns is just part of the cost of doing business for any retailer.

Personally, I've reduced most of my purchases to small items that are easy to package and return .... like earrings or a small makeup item. 

Example ...   Earlier this year I printed out a Paypal First Class Mail shipping return label which cost me $1.83 with tracking ....  as opposed to the $6.95 label.  Not only did it cost less, but it arrived & was processed a lot faster.  

Esteemed Contributor

@pearlygurl wrote:

Paying the Return Fee using their prepaid label is fair but they are also deducting the S&H from our refund that WE PAID with the order when we place the order.  They are double charging.

For instance, I returned an item that they charged me $5.50 to have it shipped to me and, when I returned it, they deducted that $5.50 that I paid to them PLUS the $7.95 using their return label fee.  How is that fair???  

@pearlygurl 

There are three prices for the return labels ~

0 to 5 lbs: $6.95

5.01 to 10 lbs: $8.95

10.01 to 150 lbs: $10.95

Original shipping is not refundable but you only pay it once. If you return an item using their return label that fee will also be deducted from your refund.

Ex. (and these numbers are just examples):

You pay $60 for an item with $5.50 shipping. We'll say tax was 8% which would be $4.80. Your total charge would be $70.30.

$60.00 + $5.50 + $4.80 = $70.30

You return the item. QVC will refund $70.30 and then deduct the shipping label ($6.95) plus original shipping ($5.50) making  the total amount refunded to you $57.85

$70.30 - $6.95 - $5.50 = $57.85 

I've seen you post in other places that you think they charge the original shipping fee twice. I've been a customer for decades and I assure they do not. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44Of course the costs are part of doing business.  And different businesses figure out different ways to handle those expenses and still survive.  When they can't handle their expenses at the prices they charge, the business changes, sells out, or dies.

I doubt any of us who do buy from QVC would object if they absorbed all the shipping costs.  The real question is how will they do that?  

We're already seeing one way with the overnight live TV hours disappearing.  It's not a cost in our wallets, but it's a cost nevertheless.  In its own way, it's very much like other companies closing down their less profitable brick and mortar stores.  what happens next?  No ideas here.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Tinkrbl44Of course the costs are part of doing business.  And different businesses figure out different ways to handle those expenses and still survive.  When they can't handle their expenses at the prices they charge, the business changes, sells out, or dies.

I doubt any of us who do buy from QVC would object if they absorbed all the shipping costs.  The real question is how will they do that?  

We're already seeing one way with the overnight live TV hours disappearing.  It's not a cost in our wallets, but it's a cost nevertheless.  In its own way, it's very much like other companies closing down their less profitable brick and mortar stores.  what happens next?  No ideas here.

@millieshops 

Good points.   Any online retailer has to have customer service,  administrative, warehouse/shipping employees ... and so on.  For some reason, though, QVC thinks shipping and "handling" should be totally absorbed by the customers.  Providing a shipping label for customers "convenience", even if it's very slow processing, also provides the retailer with at least 2 additional weeks of cash "float" of that person'a money.  

Charging so much for return shipping is merely another income stream for the company.   JMO

Super Contributor

I agree...the Q earns Interest on the money as long as it’s held in the bank.

The longer it takes to get a refund to you, the more Interest they earn.

This adds up to millions over time and with volume.

OTOH: As soon as the return label is scanned at UPS, Amazon refunds back to my CC.....

.......before the package is on the truck!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@pearlygurl wrote:

Paying the Return Fee using their prepaid label is fair but they are also deducting the S&H from our refund that WE PAID with the order when we place the order.  They are double charging.

For instance, I returned an item that they charged me $5.50 to have it shipped to me and, when I returned it, they deducted that $5.50 that I paid to them PLUS the $7.95 using their return label fee.  How is that fair???  

@pearlygurl 

There are three prices for the return labels ~

0 to 5 lbs: $6.95

5.01 to 10 lbs: $8.95

10.01 to 150 lbs: $10.95

Original shipping is not refundable but you only pay it once. If you return an item using their return label that fee will also be deducted from your refund.

Ex. (and these numbers are just examples):

You pay $60 for an item with $5.50 shipping. We'll say tax was 8% which would be $4.80. Your total charge would be $70.30.

$60.00 + $5.50 + $4.80 = $70.30

You return the item. QVC will refund $70.30 and then deduct the shipping label ($6.95) plus original shipping ($5.50) making  the total amount refunded to you $57.85

$70.30 - $6.95 - $5.50 = $57.85 

I've seen you post in other places that you think they charge the original shipping fee twice. I've been a customer for decades and I assure they do not. 

Thank you

I now understand more clearly!

I also need to limit my returns because I am paying to  much to TRY on a item.  Especially as a plus size between two different sizes i often order two different sizes to see which is more flattering!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Valued Contributor

Merry Christmas!

I wanted to let people know that using their return label is optional as others have mentioned.

I remember years ago people begging for these return labels.  Did they really think it would happen without a fee?

Honored Contributor

I try to shop online at stores that have a B&M presence in my mall.  If I need to return I run over to the mall (about 20 minutes away) and return for free.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

I brought a jacket recently from LandsEnd. The company uses a sizing tool. It helped me, select a jacket of the right size. It was faster than finding body measurements.

It would be nice to see QVC give customers more help in selecting the best size. 

You may want to find other places to shop. Most online retailers have tools. 

Returns do not just cost the customer money, but a business. 

Occasional Contributor

I agree, the fees to return an item has become very expensive. I will start shopping elsewhere that has free shipping and returns and the items are the same price as QVC or cheaper. 

Hope QVC revisits their return policy.