Honored Contributor

Re: Retirement: several questions for you

@tarsmom wrote:

@Kachina624 

funny you should mention RV FT.  My DH has brought this up a time or two.  We have done some research.  I am more of a worrier than he is (what if he passes away, what do I do now??)  

But, it definitely is something to think about.  We watch lots of Youtube videos and follow a few people on RV forums.  

It's a thought Smiley Happy 

@tarsmom    Do you drive?  There are always plenty of people around an RV park willing to help if you ever get in a jam.

My parents RVed all the warm months using Albuquerque as their base.  Once, on a trip, dad became seriously ill in Twin Falls, Id., and needed emergency surgery.  Mom was legally blind and couldn't drive.  The folks at the RV park were wonderful, helping her and even refusing to charge them while he was hospitalized.  Eventually her brother came and drove them home after dad was released from the hospital.  Things always work out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@tarsmom 

Just as a side thought as my closest friend here moved back to MI to be with family.  They were snowbirds for 22 years - Came here through the year & then came January-June.

She had a lovely home here & during COVID shutdown she missed her family terribly.  She cried she wanted to be home "thinking she wanted to be closer to kids if something happened" her spouse (who loved it here) agreed to go back to MI.  They sold the home and contents in 4 days on market in late August.

Today, she called me upset she made a "hasty" decision spouse is upset he agreed.  Why?  Well, her kids (55-60) have decided to move to other areas (not close), they

don't have time for her she doesn't see them often, grandkids are doing their own things (older), no pool or amenities like here at condo they own, crappy weather and more.  I feel bad for her.  Her spouse who is 81 took a job as a consultant because he was bored & couldn't take sitting home everyday🙄.  

I know in better times I flew home 1x for a week.  Well, after a few days my kids & family went about their own days.  I enjoyed my GD but she was in school, sports or other activities.

Everything she thought would be "greener" has turned out to be a big mistake for them.   Of course, they bought here 22 years ago and now it is unaffordable to own two homes.  Her spouse is not a happy camper ...she's sad too.

I told her she made the decision too fast and boy, do I miss them☹️☹️☹️

Honored Contributor

@patbz   You and dh have the most idyllic, perfect lifestyle.  I'm envious.

By the way, did you ever get your Hopi maiden pendent from Alex?  I've been waiting for a picture.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

We moved from Ohio to central FL in 2007 for our business. It is hot and humid in the summer but it is really not that bad. You get used to it. I do like the fall, the cold, and the snow, so I miss that from up north. I don’t miss the endless gray skies. I found that people where I live are very nice and there is a lot to do. There are many activities and groups to join. Also, lots of really great doctors who are used to getting new older patients. Personally, I would want to live close to my son. We have three sons. They are all here now. But should a time come when they all relocate, I can see us moving to be closer to one of them. Life is too dang short and I want to be with them as much as I can. Good luck to you!
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 : Thanks for asking!  Yes I did the Maiden pendant but DH doesn't know yet that he's giving it to me for my birthday first week in December.  I' ll definitely post pictures then.  Thanks for the tip on how to contact Alex (price was half what they are selling for on EBay). I think Alex is doing very well virtually ( he was very responsive).

Honored Contributor

I've thought about moving to be near my grandkids but can't.  My son is career military and they move every 1-2 years.  His wife is a saint - twins just turned 4 and the baby is 2-1/2.  I don't know how she does it with his deployments (soon to be 5) and training absences.  The kids adore their daddy and they facetime a lot when he's gone.  

I have 1 son in town. He has a great career and I can't imagine being away from him - he takes good care of his old mom. Smiley Happy  I also have 6 siblings, their families, and my dad nearby.  I take care of my elderly dad and my disabled sister who live just blocks from me and can't imagine leaving them at this point in their lives.  I believe my calling in retirement is to care for them. 

Esteemed Contributor

You should never follow your children unless totally necessary .  You are very correct about them having to change their course in life and move. So your thought process should be would I live in that area in my children were not there.  I totally agree with posters about no drastic changes right away .  Retire for a while.  Then you can start to consider possibilities. 

Trusted Contributor

@tarsmom, We also are both retired.We moved from a different state several months agoLived  there for several decades. Reason we moved was to be closer to our only chids. Only child is career minded.Supposedly, not interested in marrying. Yes, it has been difficult. However, truly life is short. You want to be near the ones you love. Like you we cannot afford two homes. As long as we are together it will work beautifully. It takes time to adjust to new surrondings. Your childre will be there for you. Many of our friends have now passed. Just thank God that you are able to make a move. Remember, take time to adjust. You all have each other. I get homesick often. However, my family is my main consideration. I am learning to adjust. YOU CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN FOR YOUR HAPPINESS.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@@

@tarsmom 

Why not rent a place for a couple months near your son to see how you and your husband might like a permanent move (and of course to escape your Michigan winters). Become a snowbird without owning 2 homes.

You might quickly realize you don't want to continue considering a relocation or you might just love it and make so many new friends you would want to stay there even if your son relocated! 

Honored Contributor

My philosophy is "nothing is forever."   We have moved several times since DH retired 20 years ago.  We have no children and are not close to our siblings.  As others have said, I would not move to be close to my children unless I wanted to live there alone.  Good luck!