Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I didn't know this was an office retirement party. I don't think the OP said that did she?

When my DH retired I had a party for him at our house. When we moved to be retired in Florida our neighbors had a block party for us .They gave us a huge inflated flamingo.

@151949@AuntG @software

@Since the OP hasn't yet responded to @software's question, I think we're giving her examples of the types of retirement parties we've had or been to ... that's okay, isn't it?

And some of us have experience that not ALL retirement parties are at work. That's OK isn't it?

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I didn't know this was an office retirement party. I don't think the OP said that did she?

When my DH retired I had a party for him at our house. When we moved to be retired in Florida our neighbors had a block party for us .They gave us a huge inflated flamingo.

@151949@AuntG @software

@Since the OP hasn't yet responded to @software's question, I think we're giving her examples of the types of retirement parties we've had or been to ... that's okay, isn't it?

And some of us have experience that not ALL retirement parties are at work. That's OK isn't it?

Hey ... whatever you say, lady ... but since YOU asked that question ...

Honored Contributor

I've never planned a retirement party, but was the recipient of many good wishes at my own.  It was held in a small banquet room at a local bar and grill.  About 50 of my co-workers and friends enjoyed drinks and an Italian buffet from 7 p.m. until? Husband and I left at 9 p.m. and a few attendees were still going strong.  It was a fun gathering and greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

I've been to lots of retirement dinners and luncheons when I worked in SF and in NYC ... I don't know what happens elsewhere.  

It's always been at a farly nice restaurant and depending on the size of the group - maybe in a private room.   We always ordered from the menu.  

For the gift - we all chipped in and it usually was a gift certificate.  The senior exec picked up the check for the restaurant.  

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

I've never actually planned or attended a retirement party, other than a quick gathering in the coffee area at work.  What suggestions can you give to me?  Is a sit down dinner at a restaurant common, or do people generally have them at home, or maybe in a rented hall?

Is this an office retirement party?

Unless it's for the President, just  simple hor d'oeurves in a large meeting room or conference room should be enough.  No sit down.   Either during work hours -- maybe a lunch break-- or right after work.

You don't give enough information.  Who is it, what are they retiring from?

----------

Sorry, sometimes I think I get too wordy so I kept it brief.  My DH has picked a retirement date which is still pretty far in the future and I was thinking of throwing him a party.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Retirement parties

[ Edited ]

We had my dads at my sisters. Just family and a couple of people he worked with. Had hotdogs and chicken wings. Typical cook out food. And had a couple of cakes. It was a good day.   Work took him and my mom out to dinner about a week before.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949@AuntG @software

I know I will regret asking this but what else do people retire from??

Honored Contributor

Typically at my office, everyone who wanted to go took the honoree out to lunch and the group chipped in to pay for his/her lunch. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949@AuntG @software

Lol-  I guess one could retire from life.  That would be a different type "retirement" party

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949@AuntG @software

Seriously - you can't understand that family or friends may give someone a retirement celebration? SMH.