Valued Contributor

Re: Retirement, is it what you envisioned?

Better. . . So much better than I ever imagined!
Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

@2blonde I also live alone and have thought about getting some type of call device, I have fallen and can't get up type of device. Or having a friend and I even just text daily to make sure I am ok. I am 60 now and hope I can work at least until I am 70 but health mostly dictates that. I have not had any major problems but one never knows. 

If you have a good neighbor, you can signal that everything is ok by opening the drapes or some other signal in the morning.

I check my across the street neighbor's window every morning to make sure her drapes are open.  If not, I either call or go over to check on her.

I also make sure she has her drapes closed every night.  When I am on vacation, I have my next door neighbor check the windows for me.  We have been doing this for years.

Respected Contributor

Oh, it certainly is! I spend multiple hours reading, and I'm very involved with volunteering for things I care about (the library, my choral group, and teaching various literary classes). I am having the time of my life!

Respected Contributor

I had not planned on retiring 2 years ago.Cancer forced me to quit as I had 7 hospitalizations and 4 surgeries plus treatments.Thank God we had good insurance,but it sure was not smooth.Now that I am better,I still am trying to decide what I want to do.For quite awhile Dr. appts and tests were my life,plus dialysis 3 days a week.This is not what I had envisioned.Do not miss the stress of work either or having to go out in nasty weather.I was caught off guard you could say.I am grateful that my health is better now.I will get it figured out.

Esteemed Contributor

Is it what I envisioned? No, absolutely not because of hubby's health issues. I'm glad I was able to retire and not have financial issues. I love being free to plan my day and not have to be concerned about meetings, budgets, annual planning, etc. But I spend more time with hubby's doctor's appointments, etc. And much less time doing some things that I thought would be enjoyable for both of us. But, as you said, life is full of surprises and things don't always go the way we planned. I'm glad I retired at 65 and still enjoy it - just in a different way than what I imagined.

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo wrote:

I had not planned on retiring 2 years ago.Cancer forced me to quit as I had 7 hospitalizations and 4 surgeries plus treatments.Thank God we had good insurance,but it sure was not smooth.Now that I am better,I still am trying to decide what I want to do.For quite awhile Dr. appts and tests were my life,plus dialysis 3 days a week.This is not what I had envisioned.Do not miss the stress of work either or having to go out in nasty weather.I was caught off guard you could say.I am grateful that my health is better now.I will get it figured out.

@hellie jo.......it really sucks when you are forced to retire when you don't want to.  Yes, those doctor appointments, surgeries, etc. seem to be what takes up a lot of our time when being treated for cancer..  No, you do not need any more stress of work, and nasty weather.  So glad your health is better now....and maybe you will be able to enjoy your retired life.  And once the weather will become more tolerable, we can get out and about.  You know I do care about you.  You are on my nightly prayer list.  

Respected Contributor

NO!  It's so much busier, and more fun then I ever imagined.  I joined a gym and have made some wonderful friends.  Both my DH and I have our own interests and love to be together.  Being able to travel has been a wonderful blessing.  

Super Contributor

I had to take early retirement to become my mother's caregiver. I spent 4 and a half years taking care of her. Mom passed away June 2018. Those years of confinement, doctor's appointments, stress and worry, scattered sleep, and the physical demands of lifting, bending, and transporting an adult took a serious toll on my health and back. I gained 40 pounds, have high cholesterol, and deal daily with back pain. I have a herniated disc and a bulging disc. I have gone back to teaching part time by subbing 3 days a week. I am still figuring out how to manage retirement. It's certainly not what I expected but I am grateful that I had the option to retire. I coul not have continued teaching and give my very beloved mother the care that she deserved.

Respected Contributor

No! 

I envisioned DH and I doing lots of traveling, but for a few reasons that hasn't happened.  We did travel and went on wonderful trips, 3 to Italy, 1 to Ireland, but we haven't gone anywhere in the past few years.  We don't go on tours, we prefer to do it on our own which means we have to carry our own bags.   I can't because of my back problems and DH isn't able to either.  In Italy, we like to take trains;  unfortunately there are no porters so that means carrying bags up several steps into the train, then placing them in a good spot to keep our eyes on them.  

Additionally, there are the airport and airline issues.  Standing in long lines to check in at the airport is miserable.   Then there's the line where you have to take shoes off, place your belongings in the containers to be scanned, etc.

Last year we were going to Alaska on a cruise. We had a connection in Dallas.  At 2:30 am, we received a call from American Airlines telling us our flight was cancelled.  Since we had first class tickets and the connecting flight we were unable to go because the airlines couldn't give us our seats and we couldn't make the connection.  We had to cancel.  

I long for air travel the way it once was! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly, did not plan to retire (early @ 46) but after years and years of nagging, complaining & more I caved in and left a job I loved!

My spouse idea his whole work life was to retire to "paradise" gated golf community in FL.  Many years I told him no way I'm never leaving my family or friends then it happened.

It happened so fast I never thought about what we'd plan or do here☹️.  I don't do anything different than when I worked except have "lots of time" on my hands!

I make plans to go somewhere everyday.  I'd go insane if I didn't.  Spouse & I have nothing in common sadly, not only big age difference but we worked shifts so were never together too long!  He never participated in family holidays, bdays or occasions yet I just figured "hey don't want to come don't!". 

The good thing is we are in good health & have 100% medical, dental and eyecare benefits.  In addition, we both collect a nice pension as we both did 25 years in the pension system.

I travel home every 6 weeks or so and that's the best thing I look forward to.  God willing, I'll be back with family soon😊.    

Oh and yes, I've aged and not gracefully😉 from living here and have joined clubs, church, volunteered, etc. it's very different ...

WHY? It's extremely hard to make a new circle of friends when your a "outsider" -- I have acquaintances but no friends to just pick up the phone and say"hey want to do something?" not like home.