Valued Contributor

Re: Retirement, is it what you envisioned?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 In some aspects it's been great.  Not having to get up and go out in snow and ice.  Being able to clean and cook and not having to schedule appointments around the job.  After working 30 years at my good job, I was able to retire at 54, but I did take a couple of other jobs that I enjoyed just to keep busy and to help build up my SS.  I do have to say I miss being around younger people and over the years I met some great people at work.

On the other side, husband has been retired for 22 years.  He has zero hobbies and the past few years he has had numerous health issues.  Since 2013 we have both had numerous deaths in the family compounded by all our health issues, his being much more serious than mine.  So I've been a caregiver for much of the past 2 years, and I have to admit sometimes I'm not the nicest person.  I have more stress in my life now than when I worked.

But we are fortunate that we have a decent income, great health benefits, and if not seeing doctors, can come and go pretty much as we please.  My 2 kitties keep us from traveling but I'd never kennel them.  My retirement would be a lot more of what I'd hped for if I could convince his daughter to take him to Florida for a month.  Never going to happen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My "Golden Years" have not been what I thought they would be.  It was good up until 5 years ago....hit with cancer, and dealing with treatments for 4+ years, and then radiation treatments.  Am alone and have driven myself to and from all the treatments...except for radiation treatments.  Have had over 10 full body PET scans....a friend did take me to those.  

But for now, I am not on any kind of treatment and oncologist is waiting 3 months before he will be seeing me again.  I'm not in remission, but my own immune system is working on the cancer....

I thank God daily for the wonderful care I have received.  Also have excellent health coverage with no copay.  So far, haven't had to pay anything for doctors, treatments, etc.  And my friends and neighbors have been wonderful to me.  

Have learned that when I need help, it is ok to ask for it.  

Started working when I was 17, and worked for almost 50 years.  

Trusted Contributor

I miss working a lot. I make lists everyday of things that I want/need to do.  I have to keep busy, or I feel like a slug.  I do work part time a little bit.  

My husband is still working full time, and also travels with his job. I miss the interaction of colleagues.

Honored Contributor

"Re: Retirement, is it what you envisioned?"

Nope!  It's even better than I envisioned. BananaDance.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Retirement turned out better than I thought it would.  However, my husband has begun having serious health issues so I’m his caregiver.  Thank goodness my health is good for now.  It enables me to care for him.  We had some wonderful retirement years prior to that so I’m grateful for that.  Things can change in an instant. 

Respected Contributor

I retired almost 4 years ago and aside from the health issues that would have come up anyway, I am loving my life. I was sidelined by a bad diagnosis and 2 surgeries from last June until about October when I took a short trip. Then a longer bus trip and lastly a cruise that we  came home from yesterday. I schedule my doctor appointment inbetween excursions. I will not let illnesses dictate my life, I will live it. Next trip is scheduled for mid-May, G-d willing.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

Retirement turned out better than I thought it would.  However, my husband has begun having serious health issues so I’m his caregiver.  Thank goodness my health is good for now.  It enables me to care for him.  We had some wonderful retirement years prior to that so I’m grateful for that.  Things can change in an instant. 

@cotton4me.....yes, and if and when it hits, it can knock you for a loop.  Your DH is fortunate to have you as his care giver.  I had no one here to take care of me.  Am alone, but doing ok for now.  Will be 79 in May.  

Esteemed Contributor

Well....not really for me either. I was able to retire at 60, but all my friends are still working.....so I feel resentment and I don't get called to join them much anymore.

I was able to do little projects that I always wanted to do and read more. But... I always wanted to have beautiful flower beds and I did for 3 years, The summers have been very dry and I feel like I am strapped to the hose, watering everythng at least once a day. I think That I am going to give it up this year.

Hubby and I have some mnor aches and pains, but so many of the guys he worked with are dead. I talked him into meeting up with our daughter's family at Disney this year and joining them next year for another. He didn't want to take money out of the savings, but I told him we might as well enjoy it....because ...who knows ....

Honored Contributor

I love retirement.  It's better than I thought it would be.

I didn't really even plan for a long time.  Just came home from work on a Friday and decided I had enough.  On Monday morning, I handed my boss a letter and walked out.  I had three weeks of vacation on the books, so my letter said I would be on vacation for the next three weeks and would not return.  I have never stepped a foot back into the building since.

It was the best thing I ever did. No regrets.

I am glad I retired while I am young enough to enjoy it.

Respected Contributor

@2blonde I also live alone and have thought about getting some type of call device, I have fallen and can't get up type of device. Or having a friend and I even just text daily to make sure I am ok. I am 60 now and hope I can work at least until I am 70 but health mostly dictates that. I have not had any major problems but one never knows.