Esteemed Contributor

Re: Retirement, is it what you envisioned?

Medical issues aside, I was looking forward to, now don't laugh, cleaning and organzing my house. By cleaning I mean heavy duty, every crack and crevice cleaning. I always did windows, curtains and such in addition to weekly stuff. You get the picture. House is still not the way I want it.

I was always on the go when I worked. DH and I would go to dinner or were out and about. My DD and went shopping and I was busy. Now I am happy to stay home.  My DD and sister say it's not healthy, but I like it. I ran my stupid backside off for years and am over it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As far as I'm concerned ... retirement is the greatest thing since sliced bread!  

• I retired in October 2010.  My SIL and I took a 3-week tour of Italy to celebrate.  

• It took me a few months to "get my retirement act" together - but it's all worked out fine.  

• Normal age-related issues - but nothing I can't cope with.  

I have absolutely no complaints ... I have a great life.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Medical issues aside, I was looking forward to, now don't laugh, cleaning and organzing my house. By cleaning I mean heavy duty, every crack and crevice cleaning. I always did windows, curtains and such in addition to weekly stuff. You get the picture. House is still not the way I want it.

I was always on the go when I worked. DH and I would go to dinner or were out and about. My DD and went shopping and I was busy. Now I am happy to stay home.  My DD and sister say it's not healthy, but I like it. I ran my stupid backside off for years and am over it.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   No, I'm not laughing at all!  That's also my dream.  I've lived in my condo for over 28 years.  I had originally moved there from a mobile home, so you can imagine how much open space I had in a 3 bedroom, 3 bath, 3 floor condo!

At this point it feels like the walls are closing in on me, and I know I'd feel a lot better if I could just get rid of a lot of stuff.  Once that is done, I'll be able to clean what's left more easily.  As you know, with working FT, and in my case spending a lot of time at the gym and outdoors when I can, those things just aren't getting done!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

too much arthritis to enjoy retirement.......

Same here.

Esteemed Contributor

I think a healthy body is  a requirement for a happy retirement...........otherwise..........instead of work... you spend half your time in doctors offices or just dealing with health issues...........................as my mother in law always used to say....."its in the genes" and she was so right.....

if you are dealt good health i think you will have a beautiful retirement golden years.....

Esteemed Contributor

You have to take into consideration what kind of spouse you have too. DH retired 4yrs. before I did, but found a part-time job. He wasn't one to sit around. that was 8 yrs. and one serious illness ago. He's 75 now and not a ball of fire either.

My sister's husband retired last summer and he is happy to sit in front of the TV all day.  He does get up to feed his face. (No,I'm not a fan of his). My sister likes to get out even though she has terrible arthritis from her hips to her feet.  She just retired March 1st.  She liked her job and her co-workers but had to retire due to her health.  She is diabetic and has developed congestive heart failure. Last Wed. less than a week after retiring she was saying sometime about her DH and his TV watching and no conversation. Huh!!!  She reads or does crafts in the LR and he watches tv in the family room. I asked  her If she thought if he was suddenly going to turn off the tube and want to chat. She said no but didn't want to be in the house all the time. She will be better once she can be outside and the sudden stop after 30 years of being out all day wears off.

Respected Contributor

Retired for 10 1/2 years. Love having the freedom of time. I don’t miss work one iota. 

What I didn’t expect were all of my health conditions.

I totally relate to your post, constant mds, tests, treatments. Had two surgeries in 3 months. If I wasn’t retired I’d have to go on disability. I’m very limited in what I can physically do, I have a very rich cerebral life.

Hope dh gets well soon.

Respected Contributor

@sann wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

too much arthritis to enjoy retirement.......

Same here.

Me too.

Respected Contributor

I'm a retired high school math teacher.  I had a 1 year medical leave, then officially retired in 2004.  I loved my career but can honestly say, I have never missed it.  Everyday is "Saturday" or the first day of summer vacation.

Over the last 15 years I've had numerous health setbacks, but thankfully I've come through all of them.  We've traveled a lot and I volunteer at a hospital gift shop.

The best news is, my husband retired 12/18.  I love having him around.  We do what we want when we want.  (Knock wood)Life is good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, retirement for me was unexpected disability so I was forced to take it at the age of 47 and I'm 63 now. It's one thing to be at an age where you can take advantage of regular retirement, as in age 65 or older and have the advantages of being in that age group for qualifying for special lower prices for certain things in life. But when I had to go on an early retirement due to disability, that came with no special advantages. I was left with a lower paycheck with facing the financial situation I had while I was working. I had to change my life completely and I did not end up where I wanted to be. In a way I feel like I've been cheated out of being able to end my career on my terms. But things happened unexpectedly and unfortunately for me so I just make the best of it now. 

If I could, I would still be working right now instead of sitting here in front of my computer.