Honored Contributor

Re: Retirement, is it what you envisioned?

[ Edited ]

I could have written the original post. Four months after I retired, I found myself with a major medical issue that came out of nowhere..two brain surgeries within three days....16 days in ICU, learning to use a walker, etc. DH retired to take care of me, for which I still feel guilty. I retired early, so you can’t predict what your retirement will look like no matter what age. My advice....always save for a rainy day...but know there is always a chance it could be a tsunami...I am doing well now...but the plans for traveling to Europe and cruising on a river can’t happen...insufficient medical resources.

it is amazing how many former colleagues I had that died within a year of retiring...all seemed healthy and vibrant...going from being involved with life to feeling you are not contributing or feeling useful must take a toll on some people. 

Esteemed Contributor

@itsmagic and @fitfuninformed  Nice to meet other legal secretaries.  Yes, it is a stressful job.  DH was diagnosed 5 weeks after I retired.  If not retired I would have had to quit anyway to get him to treatments and appts.

The year I retired  my closet friend, also a LS, told her boss at the end of May she was retiring in Aug. giving him 3 months to find a replacement.  Two weeks after she gave notice her husband died.  She kept working because her boss took his time interviewing for a new secretary.  She finally left in November and 2 months later was diagnosed with one of the blood cancers.  Thankfully, she is doing great.

I worked in a small, one stop light town,county seat with 7 law offices in 2 blocks.  I secretary got leukemia, one got breast cancer,  one retiree died after 3 short yrs, of a rare cancer,  one retiree had a major stroke & will never fully recover, My stroke was minor, thank God, and then my friend.  I can't decide if it's the job or the area that's hazardous.lol

Honored Contributor

My retirement has provided time to explore those opportunities that I never had time for while employed.  I volunteer through my church at the preparation and service of a community meal.  Also I volunteer to provide transportation to the polls at election time.  

I didn't have any preconceptions as to what my retirement would entail, have just followed where my heart and head lead me.  My husband and I have grown even closer while sharing new adventures.    

Trusted Contributor

I absolutely love being retired. Fortunately myself and my husband are in excellent health and no aches or pains. Knock on wood. I love being free to do what ever I want when I want. Especially love that I don’t have to get up early and prepare for work. I can just get up and take my time. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Life is good.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my retirement life is pretty much what I expected it to be.   I left my job to be a caregiver, due to my husbands progressive health issues and my aging mother.   My husband just had part of his foot amputated, and my mom has dementia.  

My days are guided by the appts on the calendar, and unplanned surprises.   A LOT of stuff just keeps happening here too, but I have always believed things happen the way they do for a reason.  I knew what to expect in my retirement, so my mind is set to deal with whatever needs to be dealt with, and move on.   Every day my ability to multi-task is tested, but I get in bed feeling content, very blessed, and ready to face it all again tomorrow.   

Respected Contributor

@Lucylu12 

Yes, totally agree about not being on schedule, getting up when you want, staying up late (yes!) and being spontaneious with what you do each day,  It is inexpressably wonderful!!

Honored Contributor

@author ...dh and I go back and forth on retirement....he is 79, I am in my mid 60's....he has no hobbies and we really do not run around with anyone on a regular basis, no hobbies.

I am always ready for Monday to come around, even tho we work together, it gets me out of the house and around a few other people.  I am not wild about retirement because I am concerned that it will also be a tad 'lonely'.  Yes, I have friends, but they are all still working and dh's friends have either passed away or are not able to get out and about...we are very thankful to be healthy.

Honored Contributor

Retirement freed us up to sleep in and take life easy at our own pace but life tossed circumstances our way that weren’t planned or welcomed.My mom who lives in Canada has Alzheimer’s and requires a lot of my time and has created a financial strain as well.We spend time with her that is very stressful and when we sneak home for solice the long distance worries don’t let up.The healthcare workers are being upset by her behavior and her boyfriend enables it.I am getting calls from the agency that the workers are being verbally abused and don’t want to go to her place.She takes numerous late night ambulances to the hospital and I am called anytime in the night...can’t sleep myself and this is tough on me.I know I should be understanding but I feel like this is making me sick too.Retirement for us seems to bring about a whole new way of life that could definitely use a makeover.

Honored Contributor

I retired after working for 41 years in an urban school system counseling troubled children and dysfunctional families.  I believe I experienced  every social issue which exists and more.  It was difficult to say the least but rewarding also.  

Retirement lifted all that worry and stress from my mind,  I didn't have to get up very early to commute, and of course I had freedom to do what I want, when I want which was so refreshing.  I didn't have to listen to administrators who were out of touch and only cared about their salaries.  I do miss my friends from work and all the children I cared about.  But when I retired I left with my head held high and my conscience clear because I knew I had given my all and more.

I am fortunate in having a wonderful family and friends and that certainly is important when retired.  I do go out to eat often, shop when I want to shop and basically am free!  However, I do have to add the doctor visits are more frequent and heath becomes so important  to take care of.  

Retirement is a positive situation if you have your health number one.  It is what you make it.  If you choose to be busy all the time or choose to relax more, that is fine.  I have only one regret and that is my best friend of 55 years passed away a couple of years ago and our retirement plans were not to be.  I do miss her a lot but thankfully have support with others in my life.

Honored Contributor

I am retired and since I worked at home my days are a little less tructured, he will be retiring in May 2020 and then life will chage for the better

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.