Valued Contributor

Re: Retirement, is it what you envisioned?

@sissel Even though my husband and I are financially ok, we still can't take the huge vacations that a lot of retirees do.  Also his stenosis and other issues would prevent any long airport delays and airplane rides.  But you did point out something that a lot of soon to be retired people don't think about.  Your income needs to be the same if not more as when your were working.  While my job provided us with excellent medical coverage benefits, we have no dental or vision insurance.  In the last 4 years I've probably spent close to $10, 000 on getting my teeth capped.

A have a brilliant 61 year old niece .  Her husband is several years older than she is and they both spend money like crazy people.  They just built a $300, 000 home and owed half that amount on the house they sold.  She has a very good income but they spend every dime of it plus she has a 2 hour round trip daily for her job.  She admits that she'll have to work well into her 70's health permitting.  He has numerous health issues, has been retired for over 10 years,  but they don't plan beyond what restaurant they're eating at tonight.  She's brilliant at work but otherwise not so much.  My point is  even when you're prepared for retirement, you don't know what's in store healthwise.  So many sad posts here.  No guarantee for a happy, healthy retirement.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I don't know what I expected when I retired ~ but after 11 years I am totally happy. I reached full retirement at my job at age 63, so I figured I would get out while I still had my health. I saw relatives and friends that retired later in life and died within a year or two. Didn't want that to be me. My dh retires in about eight days, so life will change for me at that time. I'm afraid he will get bored. I haven't had a boring day yet. Love the freedom. Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

My husband and I enjoy retirement, we are grateful we don't have to worry about money, IMO there's nothing worse than that, in old age. We don't care to travel, but do enjoy our home and where we are lucky enough to live.

Respected Contributor

I wish I could have retired at 55 instead of 65 waited until Medicare. Now just a year into it. I love the freedom of doing what I want when I want instead of time around a job for errands and appointments. I read more, travel, walk an hour an a half and can do a Yoga class in the day time. Run to the store when I feel like it instead of wait until after work or a weekend. Same with appointments..