Respected Contributor

I'm about 25 miles south of Pittsburgh and have an extermination service 3 times a year.

I was in Florida for the first time in the late 70s - Clearwater area - stayed in a friend's condo - they had an exterminator every two weeks.  That was in June or July.  The other thing I remember was we had to not close the oven door completely - had to put a dish towel over it so a little air would get in - something about the humidity - not sure.

My husband and I have been going to Florida every March for years.  We used to go to the Anna Maria Island/Longboat Key area until we went to a wedding in St. Pete Beach aboout a half dozen years ago.  St. Pete Beach is our favorite place.  And it's easy to get around to other areas like Bradenton (spring training baseball)  and Tampa.

The funny thing about the humidity is that I don't mind it in Florida - near the Gulf or the ocean.  It's breezy and just more comfortable than the humidity here in SW PA.

We've been to Miami many times too - just prefer the Gulf Coast.

Love Ft Myers too but it's very far south - hotter than the rest of FLA.

We're talked about buying a place in FLA for years but most recently have decided on just renting - eventually for the winter months.  I don't think I 'd want to be there full time.

Good luck in your search and your retirement!

Honored Contributor

My exterminator comes 4x a year in Fl. and so far that has completely controlled the insects.

We close our oven doors as does everyone else I know.

If you want to rent during the season - jan thru march - in Florida you have to find a place early, as mostly folks who are already there will reserve for the next season.Even spaces in campgrounds are filled.

Respected Contributor

I have to chime in here on the bugs, alligators and snakes. I have only seen 1 poisonous snake in 36 years and that was as I was driving on a rural road. The rattle snake was on the road warming itself.  I do not live near fresh water and would not because of the alligators and snakes. If you have fresh water, you have alligators and snakes. The alligators are afraid of humans unless fed but humans. That should never happen because the alligator loses its fear of humans when fed. I have only seen alligators near fresh water, they are not running all around everywhere. They will attack a dog so those with pets have to be very careful. I would not walk my dog around a pond, no way, no how. As far as the bugs go, I don't think they are bad a all. We have very good mosquito control but you have to be prudent about looking for standing water around your property. Even a teaspoon of standing water will allow mosquitoes to breed anywhere in the country. So in 36 years, I have not had a problem with either alligators or snakes. I live in St. Augustine which is a lovely place to live. I agree, spend a summer in Florida and stay in different areas of the state before you decide to move. 

Honored Contributor

Clearwater was beautiful when we visited. I just hate humidity and bugs so I wouldn't last a month. Also I have had a lot of friends move back East because they were dissatisfied with the medical facilities. Our kids are here, so I would miss them terribly, so we are staying where we are..I like having 4 seasons. Our property taxes are insane but thankfully we can manage.

Respected Contributor

Actually, in St. Augustine I live 2 miles from the hospital, we have grocery stores within 2 miles, as well as Walmart and Target. I was remarking to my mother just last night about how good we have it here as compared to having to go into Worcester Massachusetts like we used to when we lived in New England. 

Contributor

We have been going to Florida for 3 years now for the winter.  We have a small condo in Celebration, we love it.  It is in central Florida close to Disney.  The town is not a 55 and older, but they do have alot of activities for 55 and over groups.  There are alot of restarants within walking distance, not over crowded and everyone is soooooo nice. They offer alot of free activities  art and wine strols, car show, fall festivals, a great Christmas month long festival, always something going on.   Please let this be one of the places you visit on your next trip, you won't be disappointed.  Hope to move there permently soon.  Hope this was helpful, Celebration has that small town appeal that we love.

Honored Contributor

Re: Retirement in Florida

[ Edited ]

Our local hospital is right next to our plan. When the employees go for a lunchtime walk they walk thru where I live. The YMCA is across the street from the hospital.Of course , most of the doctor's offices etc are right around the hospital and the PT center and radiology center.

1/4 mile from our house is a shopping area that has a great little diner , Hallmark store, Publix and Winn Divie, dollar store, and Bells. Our bank is also in that shopping center, as is the dry cleaner/laundromat, and a nice jewelry store I use a lot for repairs and watch batteries, a swim store, an office supply store, and a drug store.So pretty much anything we need is very close by. 

We laugh about how little we use our car because we go so often on the golf cart or DH rides his bike.

Trusted Contributor

I am not retired and moved to South Florida from NYC. It's a lot different down here. I guess maybe retirement is different, but if I weren't still working and a homeower, I'd leave. The weather is awful - it's gotten worse since I moved here. Hot, humid, rainy, buggy - disgusting. I miss the cold fresh air. And don't even ask about the driving - nighmare. 

Good luck to you and congratulations on being able to retire - that's a big achievement.

Honored Contributor

I've had my Florida condo for over 15 years now, but while I love my area of SE Florida and I'm fine with my community. it's definitely not for everyone.  No place is, no matter the state.  I'm not even sure I'd stay if I were living full-time in Florida.

The unhappiest people who resettle anywhere are often those who don't do an honest personal assessment first so that they know what they are actually looking for.  We might not get every thing on our list of wants and needs, but knowing what those are certainly helps. 

If I were going to be in Florida year-round, I know I'd be doing a new needs/wants assessment before I'd spend dollars to remodel or buy a different home.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Our local hospital is right next to our plan. When the employees go for a lunchtime walk they walk thru where I live. The YMCA is across the street from the hospital.Of course , most of the doctor's offices etc are right around the hospital and the PT center and radiology center.

1/4 mile from our house is a shopping area that has a great little diner , Hallmark store, Publix and Winn Divie, dollar store, and Bells. Our bank is also in that shopping center, as is the dry cleaner/laundromat, and a nice jewelry store I use a lot for repairs and watch batteries, a swim store, an office supply store, and a drug store.So pretty much anything we need is very close by. 

We laugh about how little we use our car because we go so often on the golf cart or DH rides his bike.

And you wonder how people can figure out where you live...