Honored Contributor

Re: Retirement and health insurance costs

I just started Medicare this month.  Before I was paying $940.00 a month and now I'm down to $135.00 (for basic Medicare.....I think it's part A&B....I'm still learning) another $145.00 for my supplemental, and another $20.00 for prescriptions....so it's $300.00 for me (a bargain compared to before!) not counting dental or vision.  From what I understand from my insurance agent (who is my neighbor) I have good coverage.

My DH pays a few dollars less because he opted for a cheaper supplemental plan.  Even with his plan, he's had a few surgeries and only had to pay a small amount co pay.

I think you can do better.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

I would get the advice of a Medicare advisor.  They don't charge anything.  They look at all the options open to you and you decide which is best.  That amount seems very high.  Since your husband worked for the government there may be other plans.

My advisor told me about my current insurance with BC/BS, no monthly premiums and so far I'm very happy with it.

Just FYI.  I have an Advantage Plan along with my Medicare.

You either have a Medicare Advantage plan or  Medicare. You can't have both. If you sign up for an advantage program you cannot go to straight Medicare. If you are on straight Medicare you can switch to an Advantage plan or purchace supplemental plans.Supplemental plans can be switched at any time. Advantage plans can only be changed from one to another during Medicare enrollment period from Oct-Dec. Part D (drug plans) can only be switched during this time also.

This is what my insurance agent told me regarding Medicare & the Advantage programs.  You just can't switch from an Advantage plan to a regular Medicare supplemental plan but you can do it the other way around. 

He also mentioned that the Advantage programs were mostly like HMOs where you need to get a lot of referrals...something that I don't like.  

Valued Contributor

@Blingqueen023 - did you stay with the FEPBlue standard option or drop to the Basic option when you went on Medicare?  My husband will start Medicare later this year (he is FERS).  I know it will be his primary and most retired Feds we know have changed to the lower Blue Cross option for their secondary.  We too love the FEPBlue plan.  I am CSRS and so do not have to take Medicare but have a few years before I have to decide.  

@I am still oxox - good luck figuring this all out.  So many options and so many things to consider!  It gets confusing.  At least you have a good lead time to make decisions.

Respected Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

@Blingqueen023 - did you stay with the FEPBlue standard option or drop to the Basic option when you went on Medicare?  My husband will start Medicare later this year (he is FERS).  I know it will be his primary and most retired Feds we know have changed to the lower Blue Cross option for their secondary.  We too love the FEPBlue plan.  I am CSRS and so do not have to take Medicare but have a few years before I have to decide.  

@I am still oxox - good luck figuring this all out.  So many options and so many things to consider!  It gets confusing.  At least you have a good lead time to make decisions.

@ceekay   I stayed with group 105 standard option.   I won’t change at all because I needed 6 chemo treatments to get rid of a lymphoma 2 years ago.   I didn’t have Medicare at that time only the federal blue shield.   Treatments were 33,000 dollars a pop.   I paid Zero patient responsibility.   I wouldn’t trade this plan for anything.  

Respected Contributor

My DH also retired and has FedBC/BS and went on medicare.  We're keeping the FedBC/BS, I wouldn't drop it and get a cheaper supplement for anything because if you drop it I don't think you can get it back.  The FedBC/BS's subscription plan is already included and you don't have to pick up part D.  I know I'm paying more but that's OK.  

Honored Contributor

For anyone researching supplement plans, look into Plan N.

It does not cover the $183 deductible and there is a $20 co-pay for office visits however it's approximately $800 a year less than Plan G.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox   I would shop around,just to compare, but not yet.  Medicare Part B costs $135.50 a person.  It will probably go up a dollar or two next year.  

Some of the Medicare supplements are being phased out...Plan C and Plan F.  Plan H has been gone for a while. All of the phased out Supplements covered the Medicare Part B deductible of $185. Our government thinks if people have to pay thedeductible out of their own pocket, they will not abuse their coverage.  So dumb and hurts those who are struggling.

Medicare Supplements are the same everywhere, but the price is different depending on where you live and who you purchase it from.  Supplements will pay some of what Medicare does not like the inpatient deductible and 20% coinsurance.

There are also Advantage Plans to consider.  With these plans, you trade your Original Medicare for an all inclusive medical plan.  They normally cover medical costs, RX, dental, vision, hearing aids, etc.  Most of the time, they are less costly than Original Medicare and a Supplement.

You should wait before you start to shop around.  Prices and benefits change in January. Medicare Open enrollment is October 15 to December 7.  During that time, insurance companies advertise and publish their policies and premiums.  There will be a ton of info available to you then.

You do not have to purchase Medicare Part B if you have Federal Government Retiree Insurance. You will get Part A. The retiree plan is not a supplement, but Medicare will be primary and the retiree program will pick up deductible and coinsurance and pay for RX if you have Medicare Part B, Id you do not pick up Part B, the Fed Retiree program will be primary.

You will need all the information about the retiree program and take it with you when the time comes to shop for coverage.  The person helping you will have to compare that program with what is available to to purchase on your own.  I know the Federal Progarm is excellent, but it won't hurt to see what else is out there.

You will get through it okay.  

Respected Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

I will need to make this same decision next year and I'm a federal CSRS retiree.  My father was the same and when he hit 65, he never signed up for Medicare Part B - just kept using his Federal Employee Health Benefits plan. 

It paid as before so no need for Parts B or C.  He still had copays/deductibles and, if in any year he ventured into the catastrophic amount (which he eventually did with kidney problems) his out of pocket cost per year was a maximum of $5000 just as before.  I was recently googling this and many federal retirees still do the same.   My only fear is what happens if they make a lot of changes to healthcare type situations - would we be grandfathered?

Valued Contributor

@haddon9   Totally agree with you about Advantage plans.  In addition to not wanting to be limited to certain doctors -- several of our doctors do not accept the Advantage plans.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 wrote:

@Winkk wrote:

I would get the advice of a Medicare advisor.  They don't charge anything.  They look at all the options open to you and you decide which is best.  That amount seems very high.  Since your husband worked for the government there may be other plans.

My advisor told me about my current insurance with BC/BS, no monthly premiums and so far I'm very happy with it.

Just FYI.  I have an Advantage Plan along with my Medicare.

You either have a Medicare Advantage plan or  Medicare. You can't have both. If you sign up for an advantage program you cannot go to straight Medicare. If you are on straight Medicare you can switch to an Advantage plan or purchace supplemental plans.Supplemental plans can be switched at any time. Advantage plans can only be changed from one to another during Medicare enrollment period from Oct-Dec. Part D (drug plans) can only be switched during this time also.

Whoa....some of what you have written is not correct.