Honored Contributor

My manager arranged a lovely decorated cake and punch gathering at my workplace in my honor on my last day of work.  A week later some of my co-workers surprised me with a dinner at a local restaurant.  It was all very nice, and I appreciated the recognition. 

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on the culture of the company and the size of the company.  Generally, the big sends offs are reserved for people with many years of service, as in more than 20.

Honored Contributor

@QP Doll , I was thinking the same thing.

Super Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Someone in my office just retired.  I work in a small office.  The 2 secretaries and I put up a few decorations, got her some flowers and a cake and we each got her a card.  

The bosses did nothing. They didn't even offer to contribute to what we did.  Had we not done anything, it would have been just another day of work and she would have walked out the door.    

That's what I've observed from managers/bosses for most employee life events. I just had a milestone birthday and when one of my bosses found out his entire response was "Oh." - no "happy birthday", nothing.

Honored Contributor

I left quietly after 25 years....took my vacation....and just never returned. Gave my two week notice while on vacation.  I hate goodbyes.....

Respected Contributor

It may depend on the company one works for. 

I retired after 32 years.  When I got to work that morning, my office had been decorated overnight.  It was done mostly in black streamers and there were home made posters all over the department.  About 25 met for lunch and when we returned, there was a reception in the employee cafeteria with cake, ice cream, cookies and punch.  My husband and sons did not attend at my request.  My son and DIL hosted a family cookout that weekend.

All retirements were pretty much handled the same way.  Human Resources and department heads usually coordinated their efforts.  The company was very generous with parting gifts as well.  

Honored Contributor

At my job it is totally your choice to have a Retirement Party or a Coffee or nothing.....The Retirement party, is usually where you would invite whomever you want, and the company supplies all of the food, and drink for a certain length of time and it is done off campus, usually at a restaurant, etc....

A coffee is more informal and usually takes place on campus with coffee, cake snacks, and people just drop in to wish you well, and your boss usually makes a short speech.....

I don't want either of these, I would rather just go to lunch somewhere nice with a few of my closest co-workers!!!!!!    

Honored Contributor

I worked at a large multi-national corporation.  I had been there 17+ years and retired in 2010.  

People generally think of these large multinationals as rather cold and impersonal ... but they are far from that.

I had a really nice send-off luncheon (and generous good-bye gift)  - they even contacted former co-workers and even the guy who originally hired me.  Wonderful to see all those folks again.

The luncheon was a real surprise.  I thought it was just going to me and my boss.  When we got to the restaurant, the group was already there.

Super Contributor

I chose to have nothing. I just wanted my last paycheck and go home. After enduring an administration change and 16 out of 25 years of ultra stupidity, I made it to retirement. My boss was not happy that he could not give me a huge send off that would have made him look really good in the eyes of other dept. heads. At the end of the day I grabbed my purse, walked out the door and never looked back. Retirement is my reward for all those years.

Honored Contributor

I diidn’t want a party, but my friends at work overruled me and I’m glad.  It was lovely and I received a Sony Smart TV  as a gift. I truly  didn’t expect  anything, but after all of those years it was nice to know I was appreciated.  

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan