Frequent Contributor

Re: Retirees, do you lose track of the day/date?

[ Edited ]

Absolutely true!  My daughter is a nurse and they typically ask an older patient who comes into the hospital or ER what day/date it is, to determine their level of consciousness and awareness.  I told her not to ask that, because I don't always know what date (or even day) it is right away, and certainly not if I was ill or injured. There is no need to know this when you are retired!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, and I'd like to add, it's always the week-end to me, LOL

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

Like most people my life was spent looking a calendars and clocks. Kids with Dr. appts., practices, games etc. Work and then DH's Dr., tests and treatments.

The1st stretch of time he had between his last treatment and next test was a few weeks.  I don't think I left the house for almost 2 weeks.  I was so tired of running somewhere every day, so was he.  

I know a retired woman who lives alone and every day is planned down to meatime, if you invite her to go somewhere at the spur of the moment she gets in a tizzy.  It throws her all off. I feel bad for her.  Sheets can be washed Monday afternoon, if they aren't washed at 9:00 am the sun will still set.

Valued Contributor

Yes, constantly. There is no mail or newspaper here on Sundays. So, when I don't get any mail delivery and I don't have a newspaper to me it's a Sunday even when it's a holiday Monday. That confuses the whole week for me. 

I mark on a calendar daily when i ride my bike. That starts me out on what day it is, but now and then I still have to look to see. The days and weeks all seem to run together. I look at the calendar and wonder how we got to July already. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I can remember the day but not the date. Every time I write a check I have to look at a calendar to see what the date is. 😉😳🥴

Same for me.  i have activities scheduled most days, so it is important to attend on the correct day.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, so easily.  I have always felt so sorry for people in elder care centers when they come around and ask them do you know what day it is, or what the date is today?  I think days are marked for all of us so often by regular events that happen consistently during the week.  When we work or go to school, Monday - Friday is usually marked by the progress of the work/school week.  Add in regular events like church on a certain day, garbage day is a set day that requires action, special TV programs also can be markers of certain nights, etc.  We no longer subscribe to the paper (the print kept shrinking - Ha!), but that was one way that helped set the day in my mind every morning.  Seniors in care centers have nearly everything that requires attention to detail taken care of for them, so it would be so easy to lose track of each day - yet their mental acuteness is judged on knowing.  It breaks by heart because it can happen more easily to any person whose schedule is missing regular markers.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

I always know what day of the week it is (after I think about it for a few seconds when I wake up), but usually only have a vague idea about the day of the month.

I do have a dental appointment coming up later this month, so I will start to pay attention to what the date is.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bought as a gag gift!  

Used when in doubt!

Super Contributor

I've have only been retired since May and often have to check my mobile phone to see what date it is.  I have started to check the date first thing every morning when I wake up.  I enter appointments on my Goggle calendar and set up reminders.  Works great for me!

I have been shopping for an attractive, reliable and affordable watch that shows the day/date, but very few women's watches offer that feature.  I wonder why?

Honored Contributor

I have to admit I am often unsure of the day and date.   I never lost track when I worked but retirement without schedules, time limits , getting up very early in the morning has changed me.  Of course I do remember lunch or dinner dates with friends and some doctor appointments although the latter I must write down.  

I am embarrassed to say that when my great nephew graduated I was at the house the week before the graduation date!  I was wondering why no one was ready to go and felt like a total fool when I was told the graduation was the following week.  That bothered me for awhile and  now I find it funny.  That rarely happens and in fact was the first time I made that error of time!!!