Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  Probably none of my business, but family gatherings this year or mailing gifts? I'm already thinking ahead to the bad outcome after folks return from traveling for T'giving and wondering what will happen after Christmas if families get together again.

Respected Contributor

No family gatherings this year and no traveling either - you can't be too safe with what is going on.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ   I don't think that my mother buying herself a pair of slippers for Christmas or my sister getting herself a set of dishes means that my family needs to see a therapist.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Rethinking Xmas gifts

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ   I don't think that my mother buying herself a pair of slippers for Christmas or my sister getting herself a set of dishes means that my family needs to see a therapist.

Of course not! Did I misunderstand though that your family wraps the gifts they buy for themselves and then unwrap them in front of each other? That was the focus of my post.

Edited to add i do think its fantastic that you do charitable work and donations. I love Toys for Tots. If folks have an Ollie's in their area, they are a great source for toys at discounted prices. 

Honored Contributor

I decided after what happened last year ,with giving gifts,won't go into details, no more buying christmas gifts.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

good job, OP, on your gift plan------

I have no grand kids and my 2 kids are "old"--Woman Happy---oh they would hate hearing that---Woman Wink With  their jobs, they buy whatever they want whenever they want during the year anyway---my hubs gives them each a crisp $100 bill for Xmas and I give them gifts for their b-days; as for our extended families--we haven't given gifts for years--no one needs anything anymore---there are 3 little kids in the whole family and we buy for them as I think Xmas is all about the kids-------

Honored Contributor

All the money I would've spent on family gifts was donated to local groups feeding the hungry.   

Honored Contributor

I've cut down to almost no Christmas gifts the last few years and this year is an excuse to cut down further.  Most family and friends have agreed to no exchange for several years now.

This year is one last family gift to a young relative, but after they graduate is my gift cutoff age.  A small present to a friend and also to my mail ladies.  That's it.

I used to give small gifts to dentist, vet, etc. but this year have decided to no longer do that.  

Respected Contributor

Have decided to give hairdresser cash. He does some extras for me that the owner hasn't figured out to charge me for. So it's he and my mailman.