Honored Contributor

Re: Retesting Elderly Drivers...Opinions

I think everyone should be retested every 5 years. You don't pass, you don't drive.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You followed her, blasting your horn constantly ?  I understand you must have been shook up, but the whole tone of your post seems angry and anti-elderly.    Please don't throw all older people in one stereotypical lump.   If the driver was young and had, say, blond hair, would you say all young blondes are bad drivers and should be re-tested ?

Honored Contributor

There are so many bad drivers on the road today..drugs ,alcohol,texting,no insurance..my DH has been hit twice and both times driver had no insurance.Theses people were young.I don't know who the most dangerous drivers are but I don't think it is the elderly.

Honored Contributor

I don't know why so many are so against this.  If they have no issues then they will pass!  I would be retested every year for the privilege (not right) to drive!  If I could not pass the test then it's a good thing I am being taken off the road as I could do some damage or hurt, maime or kill someone.  AAA has a course but the instructor has no say whatsoever in recommending someone be retested or have their license revoked even though they know they should not be driving.  My SO went to one and couldn't believe how many should not be driving.  They used similators and so many flubbed nearly everything using the excuse that it was not like their car.

Respected Contributor

Statistically, teens are involved in more accidents than seniors.

Honored Contributor

I am a driver in my 60's and would be fine with retesting at my current age and in the future.  If I am not physically or mentally fit enough to safely operate a moving vehicle, I am a danger to myself and others.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

When they test older drivers, they test their eyes!

They don't check for the amount of oxy- or hydro-codone

they take a day!!!  My neighbor can hardly walk to the car, but he can drive!  His reflex time is terrible and he has had several small fender benders in the Wal-Mart parking lot.  They don't have to be reported on private property if no one is injured.

However, we have a 95 year old who is as alert as anyone and drives very we

I would think it would be a good idea to drug test ALL drivers of ALL ages periodically for drugs - + test - license lost, period!

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Statistically, teens are involved in more accidents than seniors.

If you just go by statistics on age probably that is correct.  Statistics can be found to support any side of an argument.  If you go by miles traveled ratios then statistically seniors are involved in more even though they don't drive as much overall.  Teens are inexperienced so they get their experience by driving.  Seniors have years of experience and should be able to easily pass a test.  I am 64 and am so confident in my driving abilities that retesting would not bother me and if it would then I would think maybe I should not be on the road. 

Respected Contributor

I think seniors drive less than teens, @Pook

Teens don't have as much experience as a senior, but a senior's judgment can be impaired because of age and/or medications. 

Both seniors and teens can be dangerous...

Frequent Contributor

Yes, elderly drivers should be tested after a certain age. Today is my 81st birthday and I do very little driving. In less than 2 years I have put on 7,000 miles on my car. I do not drive out of town and have adjusted my driving to certain areas that I am familiar with. I have a leased car which is up to date and safe. In my state elderly drivers are not tested. I have taken 2 drivers ed. courses offered by AARP and that has helped me in keeping up with the new laws. There are crazy drivers at all ages and in my town rear ending is a common occurence. The whole world is in such a d---n hurry to get somewhere.