Respected Contributor

Retailers selling returned underwear

No surprise. I'm sure the Q does the same {#emotions_dlg.glare}

http://www.bustle.com/articles/54917-your-favorite-retailers-might-be-selling-you-used-underwear-but...

Your Favorite Retailers Might Be Selling You Used Underwear, But Of Course This Is Nothing New

When visiting the clearance rack at your favorite retailers, there are some things that you are willing to bargain with yourself about: a missing button can easily be replaced; a smudge of makeup on the collar can be done away with a Tide stick; a hole underneath the arm can be sewn. But used underwear is most likely not an item you are willing to bargain on, no matter how astronomical the discount might be. However, the TODAY show comes as the bearer of bad news, releasing its report that major retailers are reselling presumably used underwear and bathing suits, and the worst part is that you might be completely unaware if it has been on the bums of another lone stranger.

The rather gross news comes via a second installation of Jeff Rossen’s investigative series, Rossen Reports. In 2010, the Rossen Reports team went undercover wearing hidden cameras and visiting some of our most coveted stores for lingerie purchases, such as Victoria’s Secret, Nordstrom, Wal-Mart, Macy’s, Bloomingdales, The Gap and Marshalls–all of which were recorded putting used underwear back on their shelves. Now, four years later, the team has gone undercover again to reveal a fragment of improvement (Macy’s, Bloomingdales, The Gap and Nordstrom marked items as damaged or put them in a back room). However, other stores, perhaps those most known for specifically selling lingerie or having extremely low prices on designer lingerie, are still at fault for this dirty act.

When Rossen Reports informed retailers of its evidence in 2010, each responded stating that they would “re-educate” its employees.

However, Victoria’s Secret, Marshalls and Wal-Mart might want to develop a new curriculum that is simple and plain: do not resell used undergarments. AT ALL. Rossen’s 2014 investigation found that employees at these retailers were blatantly retagging returned underwear and placing them back on the racks and shelves before the day’s end. And suddenly, we might have just received a fragment of a clue to our down-there mysteries.

As in 2010, each retailer in the 2014 report released a statement referencing its old, dirty ways. Victoria’s Secret, Marshalls and Wal-Mart stated that they put their customers first and will basically “re-educate” once more. As for looking out for your own behind, Rossen suggests washing all underwear after purchasing and asking an employee to retrieve undergarments on display from the back to ensure its coming immediately out of its packaging onto your bum.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Re: Retailers selling returned underwear

I wash everything before I wear it. It is really no big deal.

Just think if someone tried on a pair of jeans not wearing underwear, then you try them on, just saying.

You can get more germs from toilet paper in a public bathroom.

Honored Contributor

I seem to remember that in the past..this was forbidden, so we were all encouraged to try these things on in the store?

Online sales must have changed that and now the stores have to accept exchanges, since the websites do the same.

Honored Contributor

Lol...cannot imagine trying on jeans in a department store without undies on!

Who does that? (and as soon as I ask...I'm sure I'm going to hear that someone does)

Honored Contributor

september{#emotions_dlg.lol} I wish I could say that I don't wear underwear just for a joke{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

What about women who wear thongs, there's not much material between them and that pair of jeans{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I don't think I want to know what those women do in those dressing rooms.

And you can try on a bra and if it doesn't fit, they put it back on the rack.

Honored Contributor

I've met some people that say they don't wear underwear. I thought I read a story not long ago about Victoria's Secret throwing away returned underwear. Tons of it and people felt it was a waste.

Honored Contributor

There is a difference in someone trying on underwear and wearing it.

Some stores won't take clothes back unless they have the tags on them.

Respected Contributor

when i lived in a city i shopped in a TJmaxx often and many times there be used shirts and camisoles on the racks. i think the employees would take a new clothing item and use the tagging gun to tag the old item. alos have seen used shoes and boots with price stickers on the soles. after no one buys them thy get damaged out. also bagged out pants and jeans.

Honored Contributor

And, remember, just because something's illegal doesn't mean someone isn't doing it - whether it's driving drunk or selling you someone else's thong. There wouldn't even need to be a law if people hadn't been doing us dirty!

Respected Contributor

i do think you can tell when undies have been worn, macys lets you try them though