Honored Contributor

Re: Retailers' false accusations

My first thought was .....  Huh?

I thought stores had cameras and security personnel to watch shoppers, and then stopped shoplifters after they walked out the front door.

If this is accurate, the laws in those states need to be revised .....  immediately.   

Where's the "innocent until PROVEN guilty" ???

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Is it possible that this story comes fron the New York Times website? 

@deepwaterdotter

?????    Why the NYT ?

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy

Where is this article from?

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@feline groovy

@Tinkrbl448/17/18- New York Times.  There's also a report Huffington Post.  In fact, there many articles about this practice by Wal-mart.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@feline groovy

@Tinkrbl448/17/18- New York Times.  There's also a report Huffington Post.  In fact, there many articles about this practice by Wal-mart.

I don't see how Walmart gets away with  doing this.  It makes me not want to shop there at all, although this woman apparently didn't shop there and was accused.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Hard to believe they would not just pick her up IN THE ACT. I am wondering if this story really makes any sense.  

I do know that with self check outs being the NEW way to buy in many stores people are going to be able to get away with it easily.  I always go  to a cashier even if I have to wait a bit.  This way the error is on the employee, not on me.  

It would be so easy these days for an honest accident to happen and not on my time line to be a victim.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

How is this even legal?  It sounds like they are choosing random people and scaring the money out of them-- it's preposterous

Valued Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I find this hard to believe, too.  The stores detain shoplifters and call the police at the time the shoplifting occurs.  They don't show up at their home later with no proof.

This may be true but makes absolutely no sense.

In our town the police will not go to Wal-mart anymore for shoplifting calls because there are just too many and the police force isn't large enough for a squad to be constantly running to Wal-mart. And local prosecutors will not press charges against shoplifters if the amount stolen is under $1,500. I've heard this is the situation in many communities. This is why Wal-mart is resorting to hiring cheap lawyers to hound suspected shoplifters. 

A relative worked at Wal-mart and employers were not allowed to confront or detain shoplifters. Too much risk to employees. They were told the security cameras would record everything. 

Respected Contributor

I work in retail, but not Walmart.  This whole scenario sounds made-up though.  Without revealing any management strategies, the story is not very plausible.  Take it with a grain of salt.

Respected Contributor

Quote by Will Rogers:

Don't read the newspaper and you're uninformed.  Read the newspaper and you're misinformed. 

If the internet were available when he said this, he probably would have included that.  Don't believe everything you read in the newspaper or online.