Honored Contributor

Re: Results of My DNA Testing Are In...Scary!

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I would like to know my ancestry, have seen the ads for $99 and am thinking of it, but I really don't want to know if I'm at risk for anything.  Who wants to sit around and worry their life away instead of living it?  To me it's the same thing if you could send in and find out when you are going to die - who wants to know that?  Now, if someone had a history of ovarian or breast cancer, that would be good info for them to know, other than that, no. 

@hoosieroriginal

Why would you think you would "sit around and worry your life away"?   Who even does that?

Now, if someone were to learn that they have a predisposition to develop some illness, then they could do something about it.    

Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

It would be a good idea to get further testing regarding your BRCA results.

Your sibs or children may not  have to if you are going to get it done.

My family has a strong history of breast cancer so my sister had the BRCA test. She was negative and the doctor told her that if one sib is negative, all sibs will be if blood related on both sides since this is a genetic mutation.  It wasn't necessary for me to have the test.

You would want to explore the paternal history for your kids.

@mystyrion 1 ... Thank you for the information. I will be making an appointment with my GYN on Tuesday. Hopefully, my insurance will cover genetic testing. I may have to consult a genetic counsellor...or maybe the doctor does that...regarding other family members.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I would like to know my ancestry, have seen the ads for $99 and am thinking of it, but I really don't want to know if I'm at risk for anything.  Who wants to sit around and worry their life away instead of living it?  To me it's the same thing if you could send in and find out when you are going to die - who wants to know that?  Now, if someone had a history of ovarian or breast cancer, that would be good info for them to know, other than that, no. 

@hoosieroriginal

Why would you think you would "sit around and worry your life away"?   Who even does that?

Now, if someone were to learn that they have a predisposition to develop some illness, then they could do something about it.    

Or choose not to.

I don't want to know what I am "predispositioned" for.

Life is a krap-shoot.

We're all gonna die at some point from something, I can guarantee that.

I'm concerned of insurance companies getting their hands on this info, then using it to deny coverage, because the person had fore-knowledge of getting some horrible disease.

When it's my time, it's my time.

So long world, it's been nice knowin' ya.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I don't understand if both your mom and sister had breast cancer ,why were you shocked to learn this from a DNA company?  You should have known that already.It is very common knowledge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's somewhat faulty thinking  Absence of the BRCA gene doesn't mean there will be no breast cancer. Presence of the gene doesn't guarantee it will either although the odds are higher than without the gene.

There are several types of breast cancer. Gene infuenced BC is only one of them.

ETA  denial of insurance benefits for a pre existing condition was stopped with ACA.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

The way that I see it is, one can have the BRCA gene, and never get cancer.

One can NOT have the BRCA gene, and still get cancer.

There ARE no guarantees in life.

Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I don't understand if both your mom and sister had breast cancer ,why were you shocked to learn this from a DNA company?  You should have known that already.It is very common knowledge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's somewhat faulty thinking  Absence of the BRCA gene doesn't mean there will be no breast cancer. Presence of the gene doesn't guarantee it will either although the odds are higher than without the gene.

There are several types of breast cancer. Gene infuenced BC is only one of them.

ETA  denial of insurance benefits for a pre existing condition was stopped with ACA.

Yes,I know all that ,but for her to be shocked about the info they gave her surprises me.

Super Contributor

These companies are basically a scam. True genetic testing is very expensive and also very accurate. I would not put too much credence in the information you received.

Honored Contributor

I already know what kind of medical history I am probably going to inherit from my parents and siblings and have no desire to learn about anymore.

Respected Contributor

How much money did you pay for that test?  I had the BRCA test done because my mother, my sister, and I all had breast cancer.  The test was done by Myriad Genetics and it cost over $3,000.  My insurance paid for it only because I had already had cancer.  If I hadn't had it, they wouldn't pay for the test.  It's a certain kind of breast cancer they are looking for.  Not the most common type.

My family, on both sides, has done geneology from generations back, along with histories.  I know exactly where I came from, countries, cities and dates.  Doesn't matter to me.  I am who I am.  I have a friend who is so involved in geneology that she doesn't seem to know the current alive people in her life.  She spends more time with the dead than learning how to have relationships with live people.