Esteemed Contributor

Re: Results of My DNA Testing Are In...Scary!

All the o/p can do is pass along the info to other family members

It is then up to them to decide if they want to talk to their doctors about it.

Some people would choose not to know, and that is their right to decide that.

Respected Contributor

@tedEbear ... You could print it out if you wanted to, but the results are thousands of pages long. Smiley Surprised Fortunately, they seem to put the bad things up front and on the summary page. I'll print those parts out for my doctor.

I'm trying to relax and enjoy the weekend like you said. I hope you have a great Fourth too.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee ..Thanks, so much. I guess if I had a choice, I would have chosen to know up front so that I can deal with it preventively.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 ... The results from promethease were only $5, so they aren't really a "for profit" company. They just charge a nominal fee and want the data for medical research.

It is fun to learn where your ancestors came from. It will be even more interesting to see what kind of results my sisters get.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Adamlambert wrote:

I'm skeptical. How do you know this is even accurate? Getting thousands of pages of results in a few minutes??  It takes weeks to find out toxicology results and several days to find out if you have streptococcus, for example.   I certainly wish you the best and hope it's fine.  

The saliva sample I submitted to 23andme took a month to analyze. All lI submitted to Promethease was the "raw data" results that I received from 23andme. It was just a matter of the computer analyzing the results. You know how fast computers are. Promethease did not have to analyze it in a lab.

Thanks for your well wishes.

Respected Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@Chrystaltree2 ... The results from promethease were only $5, so they aren't really a "for profit" company. They just charge a nominal fee and want the data for medical research.

It is fun to learn where your ancestors came from. It will be even more interesting to see what kind of results my sisters get.

If a million customers pay $5, that's a hefty profit.  Like I said it's fine for fun and games but it's not trustworthy information.  

Respected Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Adamlambert wrote:

I'm skeptical. How do you know this is even accurate? Getting thousands of pages of results in a few minutes??  It takes weeks to find out toxicology results and several days to find out if you have streptococcus, for example.   I certainly wish you the best and hope it's fine.  

The testing was done a month or so ago, but the results became available to her in "minutes" when she elected to purchase the raw data file for $5.

@Mrsq2022 ... No. You misunderstood. I did not have to purchase the "raw data." That came along with the results of my DNA test from 23andme. I paid $5 for a third party (Promethease) to analyze the raw data from 23andme so that I could have more medical information.

Promethease is a research facility that builds an extensive personal report of genotype (DNA) data using the raw data from ancestry agencies like 23andme, Ancestry, etc. .

Respected Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

If a million customers pay $5, that's a hefty profit.  Like I said it's fine for fun and games but it's not trustworthy information.  

Well, I hope you're right that it's not trustworthy, but we shall see. They were pretty much spot on with the other things that I already know run in our family.

Respected Contributor

It would be a good idea to get further testing regarding your BRCA results.

Your sibs or children may not  have to if you are going to get it done.

My family has a strong history of breast cancer so my sister had the BRCA test. She was negative and the doctor told her that if one sib is negative, all sibs will be if blood related on both sides since this is a genetic mutation.  It wasn't necessary for me to have the test.

You would want to explore the paternal history for your kids.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

Interesting.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.  At least you are aware of what you potentionally may be faced with in the future.