Honored Contributor

Re: Results of My DNA Testing Are In...Scary!

@Brinklii wrote:

A month ago I submitted my saliva sample to 23andme for DNA testing. I received my results already. I deliberately picked a different one than my sister used. She just did the short test on Ancestry ($49). All she got was a statement saying that she was 95% European and 5% Subsahran African. Ancestry also has a more expensive test that does a more comprehensive breakdown. We wondered where the African came from, but we had some ancestors from the South, and it was not unheard of to have intimacies with slaves.

Anyway, my test results were very comprehensive...but I was found to be 99.9% European (it broke down the countries) and less than .1% Subsaharan African. Hmmmm. My sisters are going to do further testing.

But...that isn't the scary part. Along with your results, you also get what they call "raw data." This you can turn around and upload to promethease.com for $5. They want the data for their research. (No I am not afraid of security.) In return, you get an extremely comprehensive breakdown of each gene....what each gene carries and your risks for developing medical problems due to it...compared to the norm. Actually, you can download it to a zip file but can't print it out, as it is thousands of pages long! It only takes about 10 minute to get these results after you upload your raw data.

Here comes the scary part. I have the mutated BRCA2 breast and ovarian cancer gene. It told me that I have a risk of 6 (out of a maximum magnitude of 6) of developing cancer due to it. My mother and her sister both had breast cancer. I don't think they checked for the BRCA gene back then. Both were caught early. There were a couple other things I was higher risk for also. Aren't we all?

I just had both a 3D and a 2D mammogram a few months ago. It was OK, but I will be calling for a doctor appointment on Tuesday...probably with a gynecologist at this point.

Just one more reason to have your genetic testing done, although I'm sure some people would not be comfortable knowing all these risks. Sorry this is so long.

@Yardlie  Wow that was all very interesting; thanks for sharing.   Here's my take for what it's worth.  If you've had regular doc appointments and also those recent mammograms, I don't think I'd rush to the doc for a special appointment.  I think I'd just bring those results with me to my next regularly scheduled appointment and discuss them with the doc.  Or at least call first to see if you need to have another appointment right now (I don't think so).   Being a descendant of Ashkenazy Jews  myself I am very high risk for the BRACA gene also.  I just go for my regular exams.  

Trusted Contributor

Wow, this was a really important mutation to know about!  The likelihood of ovarian cancer (less detectable) is also higher with this gene mutation.  I'm really glad that you have learned about this.  Many insurance companies will pay for a voluntary mastectomy with reconstructive surgery based on these results.  I personally know someone that had this done come the gene was found (and I'm not referring to Angelina!).  Some people opt to have their ovaries removed as well.  

Honored Contributor

@Adamlambert wrote:

I'm skeptical. How do you know this is even accurate? Getting thousands of pages of results in a few minutes??  It takes weeks to find out toxicology results and several days to find out if you have streptococcus, for example.   I certainly wish you the best and hope it's fine.

It didn't take a few minutes but a month to get the results, the O P clearly stated this.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@qualitygal ... Thank you. I've informed my sisters and my daughters to get checked also. I don't know about my son. I'll ask the doctor. I've heard that men can get breast cancer too.

Men can, but the concern is that when/if he has children he continues to pass down the gene mutation (if he has it).  So his daughters could inherite the mutation.  

Trusted Contributor

@Adamlambert wrote:

I'm skeptical. How do you know this is even accurate? Getting thousands of pages of results in a few minutes??  It takes weeks to find out toxicology results and several days to find out if you have streptococcus, for example.   I certainly wish you the best and hope it's fine.  

The testing was done a month or so ago, but the results became available to her in "minutes" when she elected to purchase the raw data file for $5.

Honored Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@qualitygal ... Thank you. I've informed my sisters and my daughters to get checked also. I don't know about my son. I'll ask the doctor. I've heard that men can get breast cancer too.

@Yardlie

Men do indeed get breast cancer, so makes sure your son talks to his Dr. too.

Knowing that you carry the BRCA gene may mean you need exams more often. This gene is why Angelina Jolie-Pitt (and others) had a voluntary double mastectomy, since several women in her family had suffered breast cancer.

It may also serve you well to ask your Dr. to do a test for the BRCA gene, just to verify that the info you were given is accurate.

I hope all of your tests come out good!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Occasional Contributor

Good for you for being proactive!  I lost my mom to ovarian cancer and she had also developed breast cancer which isn't uncommon.  My family has learned so much through this ordeal.  We have all had our BRCA testing done and so far, so good.  I wish you continued good health and happiness!

Honored Contributor

Aside from the scary part of all this.... what a wonderful time to live in where we can even get any of this testing done.  I am always in awe of such testing..... however, if it were me, I would call my doctor's office and maybe schedule an appointment if only to discuss this result with my doctor and decide when (not if) to have the specific test done to confirm it. I think it's that important to be on top of it.... then you and your doctor can go from there....

Very good luck in all this and thank God you decided to go ahead with the testing....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@wagirl ... It is nice to hear that you are a breast cancer survivor! I'm trying not to get too freaked out about the results I got from promethease. Unfortunately, I think they are a very legitimate site that is doing medical research. They were spot on with a couple other things that run in our family.

Keeping my fingers crossed until I hear the final word from the doctor.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

I would like to know my ancestry, have seen the ads for $99 and am thinking of it, but I really don't want to know if I'm at risk for anything.  Who wants to sit around and worry their life away instead of living it?  To me it's the same thing if you could send in and find out when you are going to die - who wants to know that?  Now, if someone had a history of ovarian or breast cancer, that would be good info for them to know, other than that, no.