Honored Contributor

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic

@willdob3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

It is going to get much worse before it gets better. If the country had simply shut down for 6-8 weeks, like other countries did, we would have been able to open businesses back up with success and this would never have happened. Shame on this country for allowing this to happen.

@willdob3 It isn't possible to close down the country for a month.  Police, fire, health care, pharmacy, grocery stores, banks, car repair, gas stations, and hundreds of other businesses cannot close.  Houses get sold, court cases have to be tried, public utilities.

So all these people have homes to go to, can't quarantine, so the virus will spread and be in the population.  AND when things reopen as they must or people will starve from being jobless and the economy crashing forever, the virus will spread more rapidly.

It is inevitable that that will happen.  And at that point, it is what it is.  You can't legislate it away or shut down and eliminate it.  At some point, people are out and about and the virus will do whatever it is going to do.

I'm not viewing this from any stand but it seems to me that it is simply what will happen.  We can be careful, but at some point it's going to run through the population.  It's like a pachinko machine.  And one ball is going to drop sometime. 

@Sooner 

Other countries managed to shut down 95% and they are in a much better place with fewer infections, deaths and better economies. Because we view the economy to be more important than health, we are paying the price. And we will continue to. The walls are crumbling around us. If we don’t decide to make hard changes regarding health and safety, even harder changes will be made by the virus regardless of what we want. Regardless of how many businesses will be lost. 

People think it's bad now. They have no idea how bad it is likely to get. This is our brief reprieve we're in. Stock up. Make plans. If you need to go to the doc or get something done, do it now. Support each other.

What are you (meaning all of us) going to do when most of these businesses shut down permanently and there is nowhere for people in your community to work? That is coming and nothing is being done about it. These decisions are out of our hands and those making them do not care if any of us live or die. They are making purely financial decisions. You and I are numbers to them and have been for a long time.

Don't think it can't happen here. It can happen anywhere and already has.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't know how anyone can not have empathy for businesses on the edge. Having said that, though, there has to be good guidance based on science in order to get this beast under control. Certainly the measures affect every single one of us in varying degrees.

Of course the virus is a dominating force, but I am with those who think that we have not done the best that we could have done.

@suzyQ3 

There is good guidance. This country is largely choosing to ignore it.

Respected Contributor

We will live like this until as a nation we decide not to.  I suppose the restaurant workers can be trained for other jobs.  I hate to say it but it makes sense there will be high attrition from essential jobs due to illness and deaths.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

It is going to get much worse before it gets better. If the country had simply shut down for 6-8 weeks, like other countries did, we would have been able to open businesses back up with success and this would never have happened. Shame on this country for allowing this to happen.

@willdob3 It isn't possible to close down the country for a month.  Police, fire, health care, pharmacy, grocery stores, banks, car repair, gas stations, and hundreds of other businesses cannot close.  Houses get sold, court cases have to be tried, public utilities.

So all these people have homes to go to, can't quarantine, so the virus will spread and be in the population.  AND when things reopen as they must or people will starve from being jobless and the economy crashing forever, the virus will spread more rapidly.

It is inevitable that that will happen.  And at that point, it is what it is.  You can't legislate it away or shut down and eliminate it.  At some point, people are out and about and the virus will do whatever it is going to do.

I'm not viewing this from any stand but it seems to me that it is simply what will happen.  We can be careful, but at some point it's going to run through the population.  It's like a pachinko machine.  And one ball is going to drop sometime. 

@Sooner 

Other countries managed to shut down 95% and they are in a much better place with fewer infections, deaths and better economies. Because we view the economy to be more important than health, we are paying the price. And we will continue to. The walls are crumbling around us. If we don’t decide to make hard changes regarding health and safety, even harder changes will be made by the virus regardless of what we want. Regardless of how many businesses will be lost. 

People think it's bad now. They have no idea how bad it is likely to get. This is our brief reprieve we're in. Stock up. Make plans. If you need to go to the doc or get something done, do it now. Support each other.

What are you (meaning all of us) going to do when most of these businesses shut down permanently and there is nowhere for people in your community to work? That is coming and nothing is being done about it. These decisions are out of our hands and those making them do not care if any of us live or die. They are making purely financial decisions. You and I are numbers to them and have been for a long time.

Oh good grief! I guess you can see the future. I choose to see things in a more positive  way. Talk about fear mongering. And no one no one period could have stopped this disgusting virus! 

Honored Contributor

@Maureen1234 wrote:

What about the employees who may lose jobs?  Not a good thing.

@Maureen1234 

That is a horrible thing and we all are concerned about that (or should be) but I’m honestly even more concerned about employees (and others) who may lose their lives. That is an even worse thing. 

There is no easy way out of this situation. Everyone loses no matter what we do. My vote is in favor of whatever we need to do to have less loss of life. We can’t fix the economy in the middle of an out of control pandemic. We ALL need to start making responsible choices regarding safety so we can improve the situation and rebuild the economy.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@willdob3 

ITA ....  and the idiots running around complaining that wearing a mask infringes on their "rights" really frosts me.    A little more common sense would go a long way.

@Tinkrbl44 

Exactly! A friend and I were talking about masks and how so many won’t wear them. What? They think everyone else is wearing masks because they enjoy it??? No one wants to be wearing a mask. They are not more special than the rest of us. 

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

Until we truly heed the advice of doctors and scientists, NOT politicians, we will remain #1 in deaths due to COVID among western nations. In the college town where I live, we are losing restaurants and retail stores at an alarming rate. We must make sacrifices now in order to prevent catastrophes down the road.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Sooner wrPeople think it's bad now. They have no idea how bad it is likely to get. This is our brief reprieve we're in. Stock up. Make plans. If you need to go to the doc or get something done, do it now. Support each other.

Oh good grief! I guess you can see the future. I choose to see things in a more positive  way. Talk about fear mongering. And no one no one period could have stopped this disgusting virus! 

A few months ago, didn't you promise everyone this would be gone by now? That it was all made up and we had nothing to worry about?

I'm very glad it has not affected you in any negative ways, truly. And I hope you continue to be immune from all negative effects from Covid. Unfortunately the rest of the world is not as fortunate. A lot of devastation is occurring for others. Please continue to stay safe.

Edited to add so there isn't a long back and forth: I am very glad for you that you take precautions even though your repeatedly expresssed views seem to indicate that there is no reason for anyone to do so. Again, please continue to stay safe.

Since so much of what I say seems to upset you, I would recommend that if you do not wish to hear from me when you disagree with my views, that you do not respond to me directly anymore. It's simple to refute what I say while not quoting me. That's what others do and it is a lot less confrontational.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

The quality at those establishements is sub par, full of additives and some stuff plain awful.  Don't think it is the end of the world.

It is like watching JC Penny's go bankrupt for the 4 time. Somebody's getting ripped off.