Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic


@willdob3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't know how anyone can not have empathy for businesses on the edge. Having said that, though, there has to be good guidance based on science in order to get this beast under control. Certainly the measures affect every single one of us in varying degrees.

 

Of course the virus is a dominating force, but I am with those who think that we have not done the best that we could have done.


@suzyQ3 

 

There is good guidance. This country is largely choosing to ignore it.


@willdob3, I wasn't talking about guidance. That and a dollar (or maybe five dollars now) will get you a cup of coffee


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,114
Registered: ‎08-21-2014

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic


@noodleann wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

It really does amaze me how you just pull things out of the air that I have said. I'm utterly shocked 😂 I said none of these things and I have told you repeatedly I stay home and am careful. You choose to make assumptions about me for who knows what reason. Just take a comment for the comment try to not make things up about people based on the one comment you don't like. 


"My grown children came to visit last week and we hugged and did not wear masks. I do pickups and get deliveries. I do not wash my hands obsessively when getting deliveries. I wash my hands once and do not wipe everything down. If I forget to wash my hands after handling deliveries I don't panic and frak that I'll get the virus. I'm being careful but not overly crazy about it. Protect yourself. If you're so afraid don't go out and get haircuts and other things. We cannot expect everyone else to act like we would when out in the world. I walk outdoors and do not wear a mask. I also talk to people who are friendly and will talk. I stand a distance away but I am not going to change who I am because of this virus."

 

@Lali1 , you wrote this on the thread about the salon. I remembered it because it was describing your behavior, which I  would not characterize as "careful." Hugging people you do not live with, without masks, is not "careful." The fact that you are related to them is meaningless.

 

I know this is very hard for people who want to see their relatives and get smooshy with them. But it doesn't help to read non-careful behavior characterized as careful. It's not.

 

I recently posted somewhere about the discovery that 6' is inadequate distance indoors, and just finished reading about another study that suggests that gaiters could actually be splitting larger droplets into smaller ones and be worse than wearing nothing. I was happy to read that the standard blue paper disposable mask is second only to N95s, but I'll be steering very clear of people in gaiters and bandanas now.


Hugging my children? Are you serious? You Do Not get to tell me what I have been doing and that I have not been careful! I have not seen my children since this all started. And I know what they have been doing and haven't. The judgement and lecturing of people is truly and honestly horrible. People need to worry about themselves and stop picking apart everyone else's lives. I literally have been nowhere but to pickup groceries for months but to you I have not been careful. Wow is all I can say! 


The fact that you have not gone out is meaningless when you open your door to non-householders and embrace them, without masks, AND MAKE A POINT OF TELLING US.  Take your faux indignation and tell it to the Marines. LOL!

 


And your opinion, lectures and rude judgement is meaningless to me! 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,544
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic

I’m still waiting for the virus to disappear. Would make me happy. No more Covid patients or living in fear that I’ll infect someone I love.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,187
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic

@CelticCrafter if you had read my post, you would see that my compassion and love go to the small restaurant owner. I know how hard it is. I have little to no compassion for big businesses and corporations Who have no concern for the lives and futures of their employees, they only care about their own bottom line.

 

 

 


'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,350
Registered: ‎06-09-2010

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic

Tom Colichio said on WWHL about a month ago that 85% of the restaurants would close and 6 million people would be without work. He said they were trying to get 120 billion dollars from the Government. I feel sorry for all who got the short end in this pandemic. 

 

Aalthough I don't eat out often or go to restaurants, I do have empathy for those who are struggling.  I read that 40 million people could become homeless due to loosing their unemployment benefits. Very sad outcome.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,595
Registered: ‎11-01-2010

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic


@Sooner wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

It is going to get much worse before it gets better. If the country had simply shut down for 6-8 weeks, like other countries did, we would have been able to open businesses back up with success and this would never have happened. Shame on this country for allowing this to happen.


@willdob3 It isn't possible to close down the country for a month.  Police, fire, health care, pharmacy, grocery stores, banks, car repair, gas stations, and hundreds of other businesses cannot close.  Houses get sold, court cases have to be tried, public utilities.

 

So all these people have homes to go to, can't quarantine, so the virus will spread and be in the population.  AND when things reopen as they must or people will starve from being jobless and the economy crashing forever, the virus will spread more rapidly.

 

It is inevitable that that will happen.  And at that point, it is what it is.  You can't legislate it away or shut down and eliminate it.  At some point, people are out and about and the virus will do whatever it is going to do.

 

I'm not viewing this from any stand but it seems to me that it is simply what will happen.  We can be careful, but at some point it's going to run through the population.  It's like a pachinko machine.  And one ball is going to drop sometime. 


@Sooner 

 

Other countries managed to shut down 95% and they are in a much better place with fewer infections, deaths and better economies. Because we view the economy to be more important than health, we are paying the price. And we will continue to. The walls are crumbling around us. If we don’t decide to make hard changes regarding health and safety, even harder changes will be made by the virus regardless of what we want. Regardless of how many businesses will be lost. 


@willdob3 But the economy is as important as the health issues.  Without it there will be few jobs, much hunger, no tax money, no money to run welfare, social security, health programs, food programs, charities will go broke.  The impact of that is staggering.

 

The US is bigger than most countries and has a broad based internationally connected economy.  People can't go without electricity and grow a garden and keep a cow like before WWII.  What would happen to our urban populations without a robust economy?  Many would starve. 


@Sooner 

 

I disagree. If everyone is sick or dead from the virus there is no economy. You can’t have a healthy economy with an out of control pandemic. Just look around you. Health trumps everything. Is it staggering to think of what it would take? Definitely. Is what we are currently facing staggering? Definitely. 

 

I do agree that that people will starve - people are going hungry now. Everything horrible we can think of and then some is likely to occur. That is why we need a national approach and effort with aid that will help real people. 

 

We are not currently getting what we need to help the national health or economic problems. It is killing both our people and our economy. We are currently on a worst case scenario path. Just ask any top health or economic expert. The effort and sacrifice it will take to turn things around will be staggering and hard like none of us have experienced before. But, if we don’t make that supreme effort and rally together for the good of all, we will continue to decline.

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,595
Registered: ‎11-01-2010

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic


@bikerbabe wrote:
I’m still waiting for the virus to disappear. Would make me happy. No more Covid patients or living in fear that I’ll infect someone I love.

@bikerbabe 

 

It disappeared with the sunrise on Easter morning. Remember?

 

Sadly, all the science says it will not disappear or “go away.” Life as it was a year ago is gone for good and we need to accept it. Kicking, screaming, and tossing our masks in the trash will not change that. And, the fact that none of us are happy about it doesn’t change that.

QVC Customer Care
Posts: 1,418
Registered: ‎10-12-2015

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic

This thread is closed for further comments as it is turning too political.