Honored Contributor

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic

It's hard to figure out a way to say this without sounding like a food snob. But those restaurants were already having problems before Covid. They are out of vogue because they are relatively non-cheap sit down restaurants that serve fast casual food made not from scratch and mostly from frozen.

Nowadays people want a casual atmosphere with scratch-made fresh food. The exact opposite of what the Rainforest Cafe Cheesecake Factory style places offer. They were already on their way out.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Rockycoast wrote:

So true @willdob3 .  If this country had followed what many other countries were doing at the start of this virus we would be coming out in a much better health and financial way imo.  But, we didn't and Americans have suffered and died needlessly. Even if people have had the virus and lived, they may suffer with poor health the rest of their lives because of it.   There was nothing that could have stopped the virus from coming, but this country could have done a much better job at stopping the spread of it and they didn't .

@Rockycoast 

Werent some "in charge" dancing with folks in China Town in NYC and criticizing restrictions on travel to/from China and Europe that had virus cases already spiking!

Do you mean a China travel ban that wasn't put in place until January 31 and did not even ban all travelers that had recently been to China and were allowed back in the US to spread the virus? Is that the one you mean?

Contributor

What about the employees who may lose jobs?  Not a good thing.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

It's hard to figure out a way to say this without sounding like a food snob. But those restaurants were already having problems before Covid. They are out of vogue because they are relatively non-cheap sit down restaurants that serve fast casual food made not from scratch and mostly from frozen.

Nowadays people want a casual atmosphere with scratch-made fresh food. The exact opposite of what the Rainforest Cafe Cheesecake Factory style places offer. They were already on their way out.

I don't really agree with you.... my favorite items to order are at 3 different large chain restaurants...food is great every time I eat there. and we have been eating out consistently since we were 'allowed' back inside.

Honored Contributor

@Maureen1234 wrote:

What about the employees who may lose jobs?  Not a good thing.

Employees rely on their employers to make good decisions. If the employers make mistakes all the employees have to suffer. That is how it has always worked. Businesses are not charities and do not employ people just to pay people or uphold the economy.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

To my mind, those who refuse to follow the advised guidelines for transmitting this novel coronavirus have a part to play in the demise of our economy and the closing of establishments favored by quite a few of us.

The more this virus rages, the more destruction.  Why wouldn't each and every one of us commit to doing our best to stifle this killer of life and our once robust economy?

I shake my head in disbelief of those who see no connections between their actions and the results we have sorrowfully reaped.  Even the smallest effort, one that potentially prevents a small percentage of transmission, is worth much in this challenging world we now inhabit.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I don't really agree with you.... my favorite items to order are at 3 different large chain restaurants...food is great every time I eat there. and we have been eating out consistently since we were 'allowed' back inside.

Hey I like Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. No one is saying none of the food is tasty. I'm talking about the times we are living in. Giant chain sit down restaurants are struggling for reasons besides Covid in addition to Covid. Fast food is doing quite well. Starbucks is getting a lot of my business right now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain  the Cheesecake Factory near me was always packed and the waits were horrendous.  Maybe it differs depending on location.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

It is going to get much worse before it gets better. If the country had simply shut down for 6-8 weeks, like other countries did, we would have been able to open businesses back up with success and this would never have happened. Shame on this country for allowing this to happen.

@willdob3 

ITA ....  and the idiots running around complaining that wearing a mask infringes on their "rights" really frosts me.    A little more common sense would go a long way.

Contributor

Although it is sad, as many people will be out of work as a result of restaurants closing, many people cannot afford to get carry out, as they are out of work or their hours have been cut.

I have been fortunate to be able to afford to order from restaurants occasionally, although most meals I make at home.