Honored Contributor

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic

@avid shopper wrote:

This will not be a popular comment... in the grand scheme of things I really do not care about the closing of restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops etc.  I enjoy going out to eat or out to get a treat but I think our focus should be on the health of our population and our country.  It is up to us!

Our focus needs to be how are we going to survive economically after this. This virus hasn't proven as bad as the economic collapse the world could experience if some way of opening up (safely) can't be found. 

Have you any idea how many people make their living, keep the roof over their heads, feed the kids, pay the taxes, on the wages of coffee shops, restaurants and bakeries?  What an insensitive attitude, not to mention devoid of understanding of today's economics. 

We have become heavily reliant on the service industry for employment and tax generating revenue in this nation and to loose any of it is very serious, on so many levels.

Health is only one component of what is going on in this disaster, and the other components are every bit as important.

Honored Contributor

Our local (NYC) restaurants seem to be doing okay.   Since the beginning of the shutdow - they were almost all doing delivery / pickup orders.   This area of Manhattan is mainly residential.   

The fast food places stayed open - take-out orders only.  So easy - go online - place my order and state pickup time and pay online.  Then - take a walk down the street and pick up my order.  

In the last couple of weeks - most restaurants added outdoor dining.  The city freed up space on sidewalks and removed some street parking to allow them to put tables outside.   It's just so nice to walk through the streets and see folks sitting outside enjoying themselves.  

A new restaurant is opening down the corner - they had been redoing the former restauant - then stopped construction during the beginning of the shutdown - and recently started up again.  Originally scheduled to open in August - now it looks like they may very well open this month - or early next month.  The former restaurant had a large outdoor seating section and no doubt so will the new one.  Looking forward to its opening.

Our outdoor cafe here has recently upped its presence and really upped its menu.  

So - around here - the independent moderately priced eateries seem to be surviving.  

Honored Contributor

I am sorry to see any store close and many of my favorites have.  The other day I was in a Pier One as they are trying to sell what is left.  I love that store and have shopped there since it came to my area.  

I feel for the restaurants closing also.  I care about the workers who are losing their jobs, cooks, waiters, waitresses.  This pandemic has certainly caused so much hardship and I won't comment on that.  I just pray for positive change.

The priority is our health and well being. I understand the loss of jobs and the impact it has on people, that is important of course.  But until we get this virus under control it won't stop.  It is not a positive time for this country sad to say.

Trusted Contributor

All the empathy of I have isn't going to help anyone now or going forward (I worked as a server for many years while in high school plus college). Robotics are going to replace even more workers, permanently, going forward. Fast food places have been slowly doing this but large factories have been converting (quietly) over the past few years. One of my sons is going into the field of robotic engineering; I Robot is an example of one the goals he and his fellow students are hoping to achieve (not the mean ones). He was going to travel to Japan before COVID happened for an internship because they and Korea are leading the world in this field.

My point is COVID has (IMHO) fast-forwarded what would have probably happened but not all at one time. What WILL our society do as automation becomes the norm and not the exception? I SO feel for everyone who has lost their job in this nightmare. Please remember, DH and I did and that's why we had to move to Florida....JOBS. 

Life is NOT fair. Smiley Sad

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

It is going to get much worse before it gets better. If the country had simply shut down for 6-8 weeks, like other countries did, we would have been able to open businesses back up with success and this would never have happened. Shame on this country for allowing this to happen.

Sorry, but I don't buy this at all. Shutting down totally, enough to really say your were totally shut down, would have meant no essential workers, period. How many of you were set up to sustain living like that, without power, delivery services, grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, police and fire/paramedics etc. 

A true shut down would be everything but MAYBE hospitals and safety forces, and as long as those safety forces work, they will be exposed and carry the virus around to some extent.

Even places that shut down hard are showing cases reemerging after re opening. This idea that the state/nation/world can really sustain a true shut down (long enough to do any real good) is simply a rainbow and unicorn fantasy. The virus would reappear upon opening at some level, and the continued economic devastation unbearable from the shut down.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Our local (NYC) restaurants seem to be doing okay.   Since the beginning of the shutdow - they were almost all doing delivery / pickup orders.   This area of Manhattan is mainly residential.   

The fast food places stayed open - take-out orders only.  So easy - go online - place my order and state pickup time and pay online.  Then - take a walk down the street and pick up my order.  

In the last couple of weeks - most restaurants added outdoor dining.  The city freed up space on sidewalks and removed some street parking to allow them to put tables outside.   It's just so nice to walk through the streets and see folks sitting outside enjoying themselves.  

A new restaurant is opening down the corner - they had been redoing the former restauant - then stopped construction during the beginning of the shutdown - and recently started up again.  Originally scheduled to open in August - now it looks like they may very well open this month - or early next month.  The former restaurant had a large outdoor seating section and no doubt so will the new one.  Looking forward to its opening.

Our outdoor cafe here has recently upped its presence and really upped its menu.  

So - around here - the independent moderately priced eateries seem to be surviving.  

@ALRATIBA We are too leery of eating out or even picking up food.  So we've not eaten out since the first week of March. 

Respected Contributor

i think the last time i was in a restaurant  was June 2019 !   there are no good restaurants in this area. i get the best takeout  fried chicken and pizza from a market sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

That's too bad ... for me it's not such a big deal.  I've eaten at these places before - for years.

--------------------------------------

@Sooner wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@ALRATIBA We are too leery of eating out or even picking up food.  So we've not eaten out since the first week of March. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 @reiki604 @software Just because they are corporate owned or franchised restaurants doesn't mean they have an unlimited supply of money or that the jobs the provide aren't paying the bills for their workers.

Have a little compassion.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how anyone can not have empathy for businesses on the edge. Having said that, though, there has to be good guidance based on science in order to get this beast under control. Certainly the measures affect every single one of us in varying degrees.

Of course the virus is a dominating force, but I am with those who think that we have not done the best that we could have done.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland