Honored Contributor

Re: Restaurants in Danger of Closing Because of the Pandemic

@Rockycoast wrote:

So true @willdob3 .  If this country had followed what many other countries were doing at the start of this virus we would be coming out in a much better health and financial way imo.  But, we didn't and Americans have suffered and died needlessly. Even if people have had the virus and lived, they may suffer with poor health the rest of their lives because of it.   There was nothing that could have stopped the virus from coming, but this country could have done a much better job at stopping the spread of it and they didn't .

@Rockycoast 

Werent some "in charge" dancing with folks in China Town in NYC and criticizing restrictions on travel to/from China and Europe that had virus cases already spiking!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan wrote:

We've ordered to go several times and have gone to eat in 3 times. The first 2 times were in Kentucky at Boone Tavern and Malone's--both very good experiences. The last time was at Hickory Tavern and it was so bad I won't return and now have reservations about eating out again. We went to each of these to celebrate family birthdays. Hickory Tavern does not have social distancing. They require masks and have online menus that we had to access with our phones, but they seated some guy at a table less than 12 inches behind my husband. When we said something about being uncomfortable with that, the server said we could move if we wanted to but there weren't any other tables and we were there first. We decided to leave. I thought it was odd they required masks and had online menus, but had no expectations for social distancing and acted like we were the oddballs first expecting it.  I was surprised because I thought all the restaurants that have dine in were doing social distancing, but it may be like the salons where it's a suggestion but not a requirement. If it weren't for the family birthdays, I wouldn't have eaten out. We stayed home on my birthday. 😂

@wildcat fan 

That's strange about the lack of social distancing, and dont people remove their masks to drink/eat?!?!?!?!?!? It probably has to do with your local city ordinance...But I suspect this place wasn't even following local rules.... 

Even the "snack bar area" in a grocery store here blocked off tables for social distancing....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

We've ordered to go several times and have gone to eat in 3 times. The first 2 times were in Kentucky at Boone Tavern and Malone's--both very good experiences. The last time was at Hickory Tavern and it was so bad I won't return and now have reservations about eating out again. We went to each of these to celebrate family birthdays. Hickory Tavern does not have social distancing. They require masks and have online menus that we had to access with our phones, but they seated some guy at a table less than 12 inches behind my husband. When we said something about being uncomfortable with that, the server said we could move if we wanted to but there weren't any other tables and we were there first. We decided to leave. I thought it was odd they required masks and had online menus, but had no expectations for social distancing and acted like we were the oddballs first expecting it.  I was surprised because I thought all the restaurants that have dine in were doing social distancing, but it may be like the salons where it's a suggestion but not a requirement. If it weren't for the family birthdays, I wouldn't have eaten out. We stayed home on my birthday. 😂

@wildcat fan 

That's strange about the lack of social distancing, and dont people remove their masks to drink/eat?!?!?!?!?!? It probably has to do with your local city ordinance...But I suspect this place wasn't even following local rules.... 

Even the "snack bar area" in a grocery store here blocked off tables for social distancing....

They had a sign on the door saying you must have a mask to enter and keep it on while waiting for a table. Once seated, the masks come off, but IMO it doesn't do much good to have that policy if strangers are seated less than a foot away from each other.  I've read articles about restaurants blocking off tables to allow for social distancing, so this surprised me. But, I've also read articles where the local police asked people to stop calling to report salons because they have recommendations instead of requirements. 

We weren't there long enough to place an order, so not much time was spent there, but it's given me moment to pause. We'll continue to order take out, but I'm not ready for dine in if this is any indication of how things are going to be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm very saddened when I hear of businesses that are permanently closing. I will do my part to help struggling businesses as long as I can do so safely. 

Cheesecake factory near me has delivery. I forget if it's GRUBHUB or another one. One thing I didn't know is that they serve food in addition to make cakes. I found out when I was looking at their delivery menu on Grubhub or another delivery site. I'll try to order from them for our delivery dinner soon.

UPDATED to note that CHEESECAKE FACTORY is with DOORDASH for delivery and they have meals and foods other than sweets, if you want to order. DOORDASH AND GRUBHUB are the same company. 

Honored Contributor

Who even eats at franchise restaurants anyway?? I haven't in many, many years. Show support for your local entrepreneurs. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Who even eats at franchise restaurants anyway?? I haven't in many, many years. Show support for your local entrepreneurs. 

Exactly, all those restaurants mentioned are corporate owned. Those corporations have received gov't bailouts and monies that went into the shareholders and board members pockets instead of helping their workers. It's the family run, independant restaurants that get my compassion as DH is a chef who fortunately closed his restaurant before this all happened. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

The corporations running these restaurants will survive, I'm more concerned with the mom & pop restaurants.   When one of them closes, it can bankrupt the entire family.

I rarely patronize chain restaurants anymore, I know too many little "joints" locally who are working VERY hard to stay afloat.

@beach-mom wrote:

Some of these are our favorites. Smiley Sad

Dave and Buster's

Denny's

Outback

The Cheesecake Factory 

IHOP

B.J.'s

Applebee's

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Judging by the drive-thru and pickup lines at the franchises in my area many, MANY people eat at franchise restaurants EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. 

Just because you do or don't do something, doesn't mean that anyone else does or doesn't do it. Many places don't have a lot of choices, and many of the local restaurants in my area are very expensive.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@avid shopper wrote:

This will not be a popular comment... in the grand scheme of things I really do not care about the closing of restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops etc.  I enjoy going out to eat or out to get a treat but I think our focus should be on the health of our population and our country.  It is up to us!

@avid shopper You're right...it's not a popular comment to those who are now unemployed. They have almost no hope to find work due to the restaurants and many other small businesses that are now closed for good.

What to say to those people?  It doesn't affect me personally but I do care about those in dire financial situations.  I think it's very sad.

@haddon9   You are SO RIGHT in your response...DH and I are self employed...the virus/shutdown... has been very hard on our business.  Even tho we are at and past retirement age, we enjoy working.  If we have to close our business I will be very concerned about my husband...who is 80, very healthy, and still goes into our shop every day...it's a physical job so he is fit but am concerned about his mental health if we are forced to close.

There is not a BLANKET fix....the world cannot just shut down.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

It is going to get much worse before it gets better. If the country had simply shut down for 6-8 weeks, like other countries did, we would have been able to open businesses back up with success and this would never have happened. Shame on this country for allowing this to happen.

@willdob3 It isn't possible to close down the country for a month.  Police, fire, health care, pharmacy, grocery stores, banks, car repair, gas stations, and hundreds of other businesses cannot close.  Houses get sold, court cases have to be tried, public utilities.

So all these people have homes to go to, can't quarantine, so the virus will spread and be in the population.  AND when things reopen as they must or people will starve from being jobless and the economy crashing forever, the virus will spread more rapidly.

It is inevitable that that will happen.  And at that point, it is what it is.  You can't legislate it away or shut down and eliminate it.  At some point, people are out and about and the virus will do whatever it is going to do.

I'm not viewing this from any stand but it seems to me that it is simply what will happen.  We can be careful, but at some point it's going to run through the population.  It's like a pachinko machine.  And one ball is going to drop sometime.