Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,532
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Unruly children in public is the parents fault and their doing( or not doing). 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,332
Registered: ‎10-21-2010

From the time my niece and nephew were little acting out in public was never permitted. They would be given a warning and if they didn’t listen out to the car. It amazes me at how bad kids are in public.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,250
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

My oldest granddaughter was horrible in restaurants, as were her siblings.  My other daughters had angels at restaurants.  They loved to eat.  So they were happy. My one daughter was just lax in the disapline department at times.  She did take them outside the minute they misbehave though if I was there when one of my grands had a fit, I distracted them, drew with them or quietly talked to them until we were fonished.  .  I hate kids banging my booth, and yelling.  I pay for my meal too.  Why are customers rights violated for the sake of a couple kids?  

 

the problem is many of the kids who are allowed to misbehave, have parents who are easily offended.  If a guest or server  nicely asks them to keep the kids at the table, or scream lower, they act worse than the kids.  I have seen parents blow up, get offended get in the servers face. It is a hard subject to tackle, and one a server shouldn't have to address.  I have seen kids throw glasses, get up run all over the restaurant,.  When confronted by a server to please keep the children at table, the parents became vile.  Wow! Hard to believe. No womder the kids act up.  They know they can get away with it.

 

sometimes I see a parent is trying to so hard to control their child, but the child is having one of those days.  Sometimes the child stops, and sometimes  the parent takes the child out.  I can put up with a few minutes of bad behavior, but other than that i squeal on the child to server, or leave

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,955
Registered: ‎08-13-2010

You got to control this I understand kids have a limited span. I am the parent not your friend. Why are parents so afraid to tell their kids to behave? My daughter turned 18yrs told me Mom I am legal so now we are friends What??? I don't care about your age I am your Mom no matter what age. Now she 29yrs laughs about grounding without cell phones & she laughs said Mom you did a good job. Parents are afraid to punish their kids when they act up. Not me. OH guess what?? My husband said he heard now they call this new generation snowflakes, got to handle with care & keep them from melting. really?? what is going on??? snowflakes? Have no time for that. Parents are afraid to parent,get control.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,220
Registered: ‎03-26-2010

@Rockycoast56 wrote:

Similar thing happened to my daughter this past Tuesday. She had gone into a cafe for lunch. It was early still, lots of tables available. My daughter was eating her lunch and playing a game on her phone. A family of 4 come in and took the table right next to my daughter. Mom and dad in their 30's, a 2 and 4 year old my daughter thought. As soon as the mom sat down she said to my daughter, " Could you put your phone away. My daughter(the 2 year old ) will want to play with it".  My daughter looked at her and said "Then you should teach your daughter not to touch other people's property", and went back to eating her lunch and her phone.  When she told me what happened, I told her, well done!  It is the mom's and dad's responsibility to teach her kids what is right and wrong and to not touch other's property.  I agree, parents need to step up their game and start parenting their kids! Not expect others to do it for them.


Omg...that’s unbelievable!  Good for your daughter; it seems the kids are running the show these days-that leads to adults who think their entitled...sad state of affairs

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,938
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

@blingqueen023 wrote:

The only thing I’m going to say is this because no matter where we go to eat we run into screaming kids and the parents sit there and do nothing.  Throw rocks at me, but most parents today Stink, with a capital S.


ITA

 

We didn't go out much growing up as we had 9 in a middle-class household.  That being said, if we did act up, I'm sure we'd be smacked on the butt.  

 

We were disciplined and on occasion when we acted up, yes we got a spanking.  My parents were never abusive, but we knew not to act up.  "talking things out" with a 2 year old rarely works.  They can't reason.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,584
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@TenderMercies wrote:

Once a week, I eat lunch by myself at a Vietnamese restaurant.  It gives me a chance to get away from my office and enjoy a nice meal in peace and quiet.  

 

I usually go around 2PM, so the lunch rush is over, and I won't feel bad taking up a table by myself.  Today I arrived at 2PM, and there were only 3 tables occupied out of the 30 or so in the restaurant which is one large room.  As usual, you can seat yourself, so I took a booth in the rear, right corner of the room and ordered my food. 

 

Everything was delicious, and during the meal, one table left, and another couple came in and sat down.  All 4 of the occupied tables were spread out in the room.  About 3/4 of the way through my meal, in walks a family of 5 consisting of 2 parents in their 30's an infant, and what looked like a 2 year old boy and 4 year old girl.  They walk right over and sit down in the booth which is back to back with mine.  Luckily I was sitting on the side of the table that was not the side that was back to back with them.  I was facing them with the empty seat at my table being back to back with theirs.  

 

Before they all even sat down, the little girl started crying and hitting her father on the arm.  Instead of disciplining her or holding her hands down, the father holds his hands up in front of him to protect himself, as if he were getting charged by a bear.  She then started taking the sauce ramekins on the table, turning them upside down, and banging them on the table.  I immediately smelled something which alerted me that the infant needed to be changed, then the little boy started screaming as well.  By this point, I had already put my credit card on the table and had waved down the server to bring the check.  I paid and left as quickly as possible, appetite lost, without finishing the meal.

 

Am I the only one who feels that parents shouldn't take children to restaurants until they are sure that the children can behave appropriately in restaurants?  I think restaurants should have a ratings system like the movies.  I think that would ensure that everyone eating there would have an enjoyable experience.  

 

 


 

 

It was a kid.  Sometimes kids cry or act out.  You could have moved if it really bothered you.  Otherwise, have a little compassion for the parents who really do care if their kid is bothering others.  

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,858
Registered: ‎06-03-2017

@CalmInTheHeart wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

Once a week, I eat lunch by myself at a Vietnamese restaurant.  It gives me a chance to get away from my office and enjoy a nice meal in peace and quiet.  

 

I usually go around 2PM, so the lunch rush is over, and I won't feel bad taking up a table by myself.  Today I arrived at 2PM, and there were only 3 tables occupied out of the 30 or so in the restaurant which is one large room.  As usual, you can seat yourself, so I took a booth in the rear, right corner of the room and ordered my food. 

 

Everything was delicious, and during the meal, one table left, and another couple came in and sat down.  All 4 of the occupied tables were spread out in the room.  About 3/4 of the way through my meal, in walks a family of 5 consisting of 2 parents in their 30's an infant, and what looked like a 2 year old boy and 4 year old girl.  They walk right over and sit down in the booth which is back to back with mine.  Luckily I was sitting on the side of the table that was not the side that was back to back with them.  I was facing them with the empty seat at my table being back to back with theirs.  

 

Before they all even sat down, the little girl started crying and hitting her father on the arm.  Instead of disciplining her or holding her hands down, the father holds his hands up in front of him to protect himself, as if he were getting charged by a bear.  She then started taking the sauce ramekins on the table, turning them upside down, and banging them on the table.  I immediately smelled something which alerted me that the infant needed to be changed, then the little boy started screaming as well.  By this point, I had already put my credit card on the table and had waved down the server to bring the check.  I paid and left as quickly as possible, appetite lost, without finishing the meal.

 

Am I the only one who feels that parents shouldn't take children to restaurants until they are sure that the children can behave appropriately in restaurants?  I think restaurants should have a ratings system like the movies.  I think that would ensure that everyone eating there would have an enjoyable experience.  

 

 


 

 

It was a kid.  Sometimes kids cry or act out.  You could have moved if it really bothered you.  Otherwise, have a little compassion for the parents who really do care if their kid is bothering others.  


@CalmInTheHeart I did move.  I left quietly without saying a word.  My actions were indicative of the most compassion that anyone could have displayed under the circumstance.  Perhaps you should focus on comprehension rather than blind judgement the next time you choose to respond to someone on these forums.  

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,584
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Restaurant Rant

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CalmInTheHeart wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

Once a week, I eat lunch by myself at a Vietnamese restaurant.  It gives me a chance to get away from my office and enjoy a nice meal in peace and quiet.  

 

I usually go around 2PM, so the lunch rush is over, and I won't feel bad taking up a table by myself.  Today I arrived at 2PM, and there were only 3 tables occupied out of the 30 or so in the restaurant which is one large room.  As usual, you can seat yourself, so I took a booth in the rear, right corner of the room and ordered my food. 

 

Everything was delicious, and during the meal, one table left, and another couple came in and sat down.  All 4 of the occupied tables were spread out in the room.  About 3/4 of the way through my meal, in walks a family of 5 consisting of 2 parents in their 30's an infant, and what looked like a 2 year old boy and 4 year old girl.  They walk right over and sit down in the booth which is back to back with mine.  Luckily I was sitting on the side of the table that was not the side that was back to back with them.  I was facing them with the empty seat at my table being back to back with theirs.  

 

Before they all even sat down, the little girl started crying and hitting her father on the arm.  Instead of disciplining her or holding her hands down, the father holds his hands up in front of him to protect himself, as if he were getting charged by a bear.  She then started taking the sauce ramekins on the table, turning them upside down, and banging them on the table.  I immediately smelled something which alerted me that the infant needed to be changed, then the little boy started screaming as well.  By this point, I had already put my credit card on the table and had waved down the server to bring the check.  I paid and left as quickly as possible, appetite lost, without finishing the meal.

 

Am I the only one who feels that parents shouldn't take children to restaurants until they are sure that the children can behave appropriately in restaurants?  I think restaurants should have a ratings system like the movies.  I think that would ensure that everyone eating there would have an enjoyable experience.  

 

 


 

 

It was a kid.  Sometimes kids cry or act out.  You could have moved if it really bothered you.  Otherwise, have a little compassion for the parents who really do care if their kid is bothering others.  


@CalmInTheHeart I did move.  I left quietly without saying a word.  My actions were indicative of the most compassion that anyone could have displayed under the circumstance.  Perhaps you should focus on comprehension rather than blind judgement the next time you choose to respond to someone on these forums.  


 

I didn't judge you.  I just stated a fact...kids are kids and sometimes act up.  Great, you moved.  You also ranted here about how horrible your experience was.  If that's your biggest problem, you have a good life.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,858
Registered: ‎06-03-2017

@CalmInTheHeart wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

@CalmInTheHeart wrote:

@TenderMercies wrote:

Once a week, I eat lunch by myself at a Vietnamese restaurant.  It gives me a chance to get away from my office and enjoy a nice meal in peace and quiet.  

 

I usually go around 2PM, so the lunch rush is over, and I won't feel bad taking up a table by myself.  Today I arrived at 2PM, and there were only 3 tables occupied out of the 30 or so in the restaurant which is one large room.  As usual, you can seat yourself, so I took a booth in the rear, right corner of the room and ordered my food. 

 

Everything was delicious, and during the meal, one table left, and another couple came in and sat down.  All 4 of the occupied tables were spread out in the room.  About 3/4 of the way through my meal, in walks a family of 5 consisting of 2 parents in their 30's an infant, and what looked like a 2 year old boy and 4 year old girl.  They walk right over and sit down in the booth which is back to back with mine.  Luckily I was sitting on the side of the table that was not the side that was back to back with them.  I was facing them with the empty seat at my table being back to back with theirs.  

 

Before they all even sat down, the little girl started crying and hitting her father on the arm.  Instead of disciplining her or holding her hands down, the father holds his hands up in front of him to protect himself, as if he were getting charged by a bear.  She then started taking the sauce ramekins on the table, turning them upside down, and banging them on the table.  I immediately smelled something which alerted me that the infant needed to be changed, then the little boy started screaming as well.  By this point, I had already put my credit card on the table and had waved down the server to bring the check.  I paid and left as quickly as possible, appetite lost, without finishing the meal.

 

Am I the only one who feels that parents shouldn't take children to restaurants until they are sure that the children can behave appropriately in restaurants?  I think restaurants should have a ratings system like the movies.  I think that would ensure that everyone eating there would have an enjoyable experience.  

 

 


 

 

It was a kid.  Sometimes kids cry or act out.  You could have moved if it really bothered you.  Otherwise, have a little compassion for the parents who really do care if their kid is bothering others.  


@CalmInTheHeart I did move.  I left quietly without saying a word.  My actions were indicative of the most compassion that anyone could have displayed under the circumstance.  Perhaps you should focus on comprehension rather than blind judgement the next time you choose to respond to someone on these forums.  


 

I didn't judge you.  I just stated a fact...kids are kids and sometimes act up.  Great, you moved.  You also ranted here about how horrible your experience was.  If that's your biggest problem, you have a good life.


@CalmInTheHeart Nice try, but everyone here can read.  You did judge me, and now you're walking it back, because you realize that your response was rude.  But you're right, I shouldn't complain.  There's nothing wrong with having a soiled diaper inches away from one's face while enjoying a bowl of warm soup.  How foolish of me to complain.