Honored Contributor

Re: Rest In Peace Gloria Vanderbilt

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

The irony is sometimes one can live too long, a year sooner and she probably would have just gone to sleep instead of having to endure the pain of cancer.  My MIL lived to 99, began to sleep a lot then just didn't wake up one day.  

@mousiegirl 

I have to agree with you.

My dad died at age 92.

He outlived every male on his side of the family by at least 10 years.

Physically, he was healthy as a horse, but it was that damm dementia that got him in the end.

He had outlived his own brain.

I hate that awful, awful disease.

It steals the soul of its victim.

@Anonymous032819   It is a horrendous disease.  I volunteered for a lady who ran a nonprofit pet rescue, and her husband had dementia, my first and only experience with this, and it was so difficult for her to live with, so much stress.

Esteemed Contributor

@cowboy sam 

I tried 2 different pairs of her jeans - years apart - and they're not made for my body. 

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Before anyone scolds me, that does happen here-I was creating my thread at the same time as the other one. Think they were two minutes apart.

I did check first to see if there already was one, at the time there wasn't. 

@Greeneyedlady21  don't give it a second thought, we are all adults here, no one is that controlling to call you out over something like a duplicate thread.

Honored Contributor

I think Gloria Vanderbilt is proof that staying active in life and being positive keeps you fit and young.  She did have a type of arthritis, but she kept moving. What a life, what a woman.  Beautiful and  talented, plus she is just so darn interesting. I didn't even know her son was Anderson Cooper until several years ago.  Anderson avoided getting attention for being a Vanderbilt.  If he got anything he wanted to think he did it on merit..he wanted to earn his own money.  I believe I read in one of his books he does not inherit from her.  All of Gloria's  money goes to charity.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty Yes you are correct, he does not inherit any money.

I remember when Anderson had that short lived talk show. He did a show about suicide, Gloria appeared on that show and I was so impressed with her warmth and sensitivity. For anyone who doesn't know, she saw her late son jump to his death from their apartment.

I'm sure CNN will rerun the documentary, it is so good. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@kivah 

I buy her" Amanda" style jeans,walking shorts,etc.

She has so many different styles for different shapes....please try again sometime Smiley Wink

I have even found  her brand - new  or slightly worn jeans at Goodwill and other shops...Heart

By the way..i'm 78 years old and love her jeans!Heart

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Good for you!Heart

I remember back then also but didn't try any of them on...my bad!  lol!

It's only the last few years that i found them ..have only bought her brand of jeans   since...

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21   She wrote a slim book called A Mother's Story about her son's suicide.  It's heartbreaking but filled with love, joy and loss.  I cannot imagine being a witness to my child's suicide which is what happened. As a Mother to be so powerless to keep your child from harm is every parents nightmare.

She was no different than most of us, yes, she had money as a cushion but she wanted what we all want:  to be loved, to have children and a family.  No matter how much money she had, she experienced what we, all, do:  death, loss, hurt, cruelty.  She was not someone who complained.  She went forward with her art and her writing and her life.  Her life was far more elevated than mine but I admired her for her courage to achieve something in life, be it art or writing.  She was interested in everything, always curious.

She was very close to two of her sons, Stan and Anderson, her other son Chris was estranged until recently when he reconciled with his mother.  All of this was due to a psychiatrist who interfered in his life.  She, certainly, lived a full life.