Trusted Contributor

Re: Responding to others on Forum's

@Sassycoco 

Also,  I get what you’re saying because early on in my posting to this forum career (haha). I posted a somewhat similar post just because I was so frustrated. Frustrated because I falsely thought that somehow a post on kindness could have a ripple affect and cause a little change. My thinking being if we could all just treat each other with a little kindness here maybe there was hope for the world afterall.

I viewed this as a microcosm of the whole world….fix this and begin to fix the world somehow.

Well, it didn’t work! Haha

So what I do is to just try to treat/respond to people how I would wish to be treated/responded to and call it a day. You just be your nice, kind self because that's what matters and is appreciated by many!

There are many kind, wonderful people here to pay attention to, ignore the negative.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

Some people equate kindness with never offering a different opinion.  Some people don't think that way. Some are just mean, so it is what it is.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sassycoco   I respond online in the same manner I would in person. I get what you're saying; I really do. I often wonder if the rude to insulting responses I've read here are truly how people talk to others in the real world OR are they just keyboard warriors who get off being trolls.

In the real world if they spoke to me or I heard them speak to others in that matter, they would not be someone I would choose to engage. If we had a block button here, you better believe I would use it (akin to walking away from someone/telling them their company is not welcome) but since we don't have that ability, all you can do is move on and ignore them. I do that a LOT here. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

Whenever you have a group of diverse people, no two are going to think the same way, nor express themselves the same. While some on the forum have an outwardly positive way of expression, there are others who may be kind, thoughtful and loving....but they have a different way of expression. It might not be viewed the same. It might be taken out of context too. We all had a different orientation into life, and summer better at self expression than others. But all points of view are valuable. To me anyway. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner 

@Sooner wrote:

Some people equate kindness with never offering a different opinion.  Some people don't think that way. Some are just mean, so it is what it is.

Oh man, I hope that's not the case (but probably is for some) because differing opinions are what makes these boards fun! I sure don't equate a differing opinion as rude, it's just the delivery of that opinion that can be rude, I think...

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sassycoco 

First, welcome!  Woman Happy

You didn't say if you're also new to all boards, so it might be helpful to Google "message board etiquette" for general guidelines, not specific to QVC's boards.  

I think what some don't consider is that communicating on this medium is very unlike communicating in person with someone we actually know.  Here, we don't have the benefit of knowing another's personality, facial and hand gestures, body language or voice inflections. We can't always tell when someone is being sarcastic or joking.  We aren't psychic, after all.

All we can do is take the words written here at face value.

Another mistake that's made too frequently ... if you really don't want peoples' actual opinions, please don't ask.  Some continually ask for opinions, then get offended when people disagree with them.   It's such a waste of everyone's time.  

While I think a little more kindness would be a good thing, expecting people to always "be nice" is unrealistic and counter-productive.   Be real.  Sometimes the best thing you can do for another is to tell them what you really think about a situation, even if it's not what they want to hear.

What amazes me about these boards is the vast range of opinions, feedback and life experience I see.  I also see a great deal of emotional generosity.

IMO, this forum is a very interesting study of human nature.  Take what you like and leave the rest .... and have fun!  Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Just wondering?? 

As old as these boards are and as many posters have come and gone and stayed....WHY?

Respected Contributor

@Sassycoco Yes, I get what you're saying. Some behaviors here can be disturbing. But, I don't think it's much different than any other area where lots of different people are communicating with one another, except here, it's anonymous. 

It makes me think of the crazy interactions I witnessed over half my life, working in a large hospital. Unbelievable behaviors between well educated, professional staff. I'd sometimes think -- am I working with kids? But, I think a lot of it was a response to the extreme stress levels.

When people lash out, or they're rude, or argumentative, it's usually an effort to deal with their own internal issues. The receiver needs to remember this and not fuel it. 

So, that said, the negative stuff here rolls right off my back. I know it doesn't for some though. Some leave, or they're afraid to join in because of it. That part, I do find sad. No one should be run away second to unpleasant posts. 

Being fairly new to the forums, you haven't yet created your shield, to deflect from posts that disturb. With practice, you'll become more immune.

With upsetting posts, it's best to stay off the keys. Don't respond. If you do, it's just secondary gain for the poster. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

Just wondering?? 

As old as these boards are and as many posters have come and gone and stayed....WHY?

@Zhills You know, when I read this I immediately thought of that song by Barbara Streisand  .....People Who Need

People (are the luckiest people in the world).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The golden rule says it all, "do unto others, as you would have them do unto you".😊 I respect AND appreciate "spirited" discussions here on the forums.👍 Opposing views SHOULD be welcome or threads could become rather boring!!! I ALWAYS respond with kindness, or I do not respond.😁

Responses need not all be gum drops and lollipops, nor should they intentionally be thorns and thistle because this is not WWE.com, but personal conduct is left for the individual to decide.😁

I jest, but I simply choose to not engage in forum diatribe when I see it, and instead seek positive, fun or thought provoking discussions; which thankfully IS the majority of content here.😁

I too have thick skin that can and does shield me from any barbs, but some posters do not as evidenced by their responses, and my heart bleeds for THEM.😞❤

~~~All we need is LOVE💖