Honored Contributor

If you  know of a person that shows no respect to others,does that  make you not have respect for them?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I give what I get...simple as that.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I aspire to be civil to all I encounter, my respect is earned.

Respected Contributor

Knowing "of" a such a person and actually knowing them would give two different answers.  Even then, few people respect nobody at all as most people have someone in their lives that matter enough that a generally disrespectful person would behave better toward that one or more person(s).

I try to avoid developing blanket attitudes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Respect for people

[ Edited ]

Dear goldensrbest,

Your question makes me question my own behavior because I tend to freeze out people  who show disrespect for others.  But that is a form of disrespect itself, isn't it?  I can naively believe that, deep down, we can all find mutuality and common "kumbaya" feelings.  The truth is, some people do have petty or ugly natures and it is wise to protect oneself from such people.  That is life.  

So, yes, I do lose respect for those who evince disrespectful behavior.

For better or worse, I have an instinctive sense of who is a good-hearted person and who is not.  I can "smell" those whose life's purpose is to upset others or to make others uncomfortable or unhappy.  Do I respect such people?  No. 

A big "however" is that I can change my mind about someone.   An individual might initially be what I consider disrespectful. but, over time, mature into a better human being.  That does happen on occasion.  (At this time, I am living this experience.  Several decades have passed since I dealt with a certain someone who has now become a very compassionate and respectful human being.  Something changed her, and I do not know what it was.  At one time, she and I were at odds and now we are allies.) 

Honored Contributor

No. To do so would make me a hypocrite and there is nothing I despise more.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

If you  know of a person that shows no respect to others,does that  make you not have respect for them?

@goldensrbest  If they show no respect to ME, then I have no respect for THEM. I have no control how people interact with others.

Honored Contributor

I have no respect for them and I distance myself from them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Yes, it's about the only thing that leads me to give up on someone.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Absolutely!  I was raised in a family where manners and being respectful of others was paramount.