Trusted Contributor

Re: Research on masks and effectiveness in preventing virus transmission

I just want to clarify something about the Korean church outbreak.

Korea had controlled their outbreak.  They did this by really innovative contact tracing (people could access a website that showed where infected people had been) and of course wearing masks.

The church group did not believe in masks or even wearing glasses during their mass services, where everybody was on top of each other.  The church group is considered a cult and they were very secretive - people do not even admit to belonging to the church.

The outbreak in the church group happened because they refused to wear masks and refused to social distance and initially refused to assist in contact tracing. 

This whole church thing in Korea happened in mid-February.

When we were still being not to wear masks.  In hindsight it can be cited as a reason to change recommendations, but in actuality how can you see more than a billlion people wearing masks to fight a pandemic, in some cases really succeeding well at that - and not be the slightest bit curious.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you to all who are educating me about the mask issue.  Of course, I will always wear a mask out.  Please keep us up to date about the best kinds to buy and where to buy.

We will need to update our knowledge for a long time to come.

Respected Contributor

Think of all the hardships that could have been avoided if N95 masks had been available to any and all citizens who wanted to wear them.

Compared to businesses closing and jobs lost and schools closed and not forgetting lives lost, masks are pretty darn cheap. 

We should not have to be scrambling to make our own masks. 

Trusted Contributor

@stuyvesant : Masks don't protect the wearer; masks protect others from any viruses the wearer may be carrying. That's why they minimize the spread.

Esteemed Contributor

I think masks are helpful if you use them right...If you are touching your face adjusting it all the time, you are defeating the purpose.

Once you have come back from the store...they are contaminated! Wash it before you wear it again.

I have seen people hanging them from the mirror in the car to throw it on when they go into stores....they take it off without washing their hands and then put it back on at the next stop.

They interviewed one woman on the news and she touched her mask 5 times before the interview was over!

If you are doing this, you are better off not wearing one.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Masks protect all parties from each other not just one person from the other person. This is common sense. Masks are a physical barrier.  I will continue to wear a mask to protect myself from others. No the protection is nowhere near 100% but it is something and I'd much rather have some protection than none.  

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 

I have seen evidence that the transmission rate if both people are wearing masks at 5%, if goes up exponentially from there.  I have a compromised immune system I am not sick but I have to wear a mask to prevent others from infecting me

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@stuyvesant : Masks don't protect the wearer; masks protect others from any viruses the wearer may be carrying. That's why they minimize the spread.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I was at bj's yesterday,first time in months, they had disposable gloves,and masks ,2 per customer, i admit i find it hard to wear the cloth ones i have.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I was at bj's yesterday,first time in months, they had disposable gloves,and masks ,2 per customer, i admit i find it hard to wear the cloth ones i have.

I was pleased with myself after making a couple of masks from bandannas and coffee filters and hair ties.  They felt fine when I tried them on here at home.  First time out of the car and standing up and walking the hair ties popped off my ears.

The search was then on for rubber bands, which also popped off.  Finally found very, very thin elastic in the craft section at Walmart.

First time I wore it last week to a Dollar General, here in Illinois where we are under mandate.  Was instantly hot in the sunshine and did notice how hard it was to breathe with it.  Made me want to breathe through my mouth.

Got to the cashier and she wasn't wearing a mask.  Said she had just took it off because she couldn't breathe.

Esteemed Contributor

@stuyvesant

I read somewhere that masks and other PPE items have expiration dates.