Honored Contributor

Re: Reruns of Cosby show are being cancelled

As old fashioned as it may seem, many contracts have "morals clauses" and networks have the right to pull programming whenever they want.

Examples of past recent "firestorms" are Paula Deen, Stephen Collins, Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo Boo ..... you get the idea. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 mominohio said:
On 11/21/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 11/20/2014 Shelbelle said:

Lately it had been coming on Sat and Sun on TV Land for several hours at a time. I always enjoyed it, there was always a moral to be learned in each episode. I wonder if Dr Cosby always practiced what he said in his show. I also wonder what the Cosby kids and Phylicia Rashad think of their mentor and leader now.

It was a SCRIPTED show and he was just playing a part. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

He played a Dr. on TV, yes, but is a Dr. as well in real life (doctorate in education I believe). I think that is what Shelbelle was referring to, as well as the fact that he has been very outspoken over the years concerning the African American community, particularly the youth, needing to value education and be responsible and moral, and upstanding. Kind of got the impression over the years he was telling the AA community they needed to look to themselves to solve the poverty/education/socio-economic problems of their community. A bit of a "pull yourselves up by your bootstraps" philosophy.

Kind of seems he might not have been practicing what he was preaching.

Yes! And that is what I admired about him so much. He didn't boo-hoo and coddle them. Told them to get out of bed, get a job, and if you know how to make babies, deal with it and don't expect that the world owes you.

Honored Contributor

Now Lou Ferrigno's wife comes forward with her charges. Bill also takes to task a reporter for asking about the multiple charges.:

LINK FOX 411

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

How can his wife stand by him? Years and years of this sort of thing going on and she plays Mrs. Happy for him.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 Love Roses said:

How can his wife stand by him? Years and years of this sort of thing going on and she plays Mrs. Happy for him.

How can his "fans" stand by him? At least his wife has children, years, money to bind them together.

He makes tough love speeches re: minority youth, so people will overlook the fact he is most likely a predator?????

Valued Contributor

I was thinking the same thing after seeing the uncomfortable portion of the AP interview with Bill Cosby and his wife at the Smithsonian.

I found this very good editorial at TIME, written by , addressing this "good wife" syndrome in regard to Camille Cosby:

What the couple's response to allegations of sexual assault reveal about the scandal

Camille Cosby smiles, uncomfortably shifting in her chair. Staring off camera, switching positions, silent. In the latest contribution to the Bill Cosby saga, we see husband and wife side by side as he addresses the very act of questioning about his numerous rape allegations in an AP interview (above). Mrs. Cosby continues to smile and looks away from the reporter several times, both she and her husband presuming that the cameras have stopped rolling. I will not read into her silence. I will not pull meaning about this woman and her thoughts and decisions other than to say that in the watching, the silence is palpable, wince-inducing and profoundly painful.

That exchange highlights the most meaningful currency in this 30+ year long drama that is just now seeing its climax unfold on the public stage: silence. At every turn, it is the silence that serves as a proxy for power in the story of Bill Cosby, his alleged sexual deviance and the current downward spiral of public opinion. Silence here, as in most cases, represents the power wielded and power taken by those who are seen as, well, powerful.

In Cosby’s story we find accusations of women being silenced for decades by threats, lawyers, fear and a generally defensive public, who until now were uninterested in being awakened from sweet dreams of their TV father.

The NPR audio interview released last week showcases Cosby’s clearly pre-determined response to the softest, almost nervous questions about the rape allegations: deafening silence.

This should not be viewed as the mature response of a well respected, integrity filled man (and in the case of his wife, a beloved, regal woman) attempting to maintain dignity and stay above the fray. It should be seen as what it is: A power move by a someone so arrogant that he thinks he shouldn’t even be asked about the fact that 15 women are accusing him of a horrific crime.

The silence of those publicly associated with Mr. Cosby is also noticeable, as comedians who revere him and actors and actresses whose careers were made by him avoid addressing the not-new bombshell like the plague.

And even in the most recent AP video, as Mrs. Cosby sits idly by, the central tension between Mr. Cosby and the reporter revolves around him pressuring the journalist into, what? Silence. He calmly yet persistently requests the editing out of his own “no comment” response to the reporter’s request for a statement. Be clear: In the actual interview, Mr. Cosby refused to discuss it, saying “I don’t talk about that.” It is that exchange that he wants scrubbed from the record. He even wants his silence silenced.

History teaches us that silence is often the most effective tool of power. It forces others into submission. It attempts to control a narrative. It hides things. And it is often a strategic attempt on the part of the powerful to shame other voices – the victims, the oppressed, the challengers, the inquisitors – into a similar silence.

But right now as Missouri police use military tactics and tear gas to force silence upon outraged but peaceful Ferguson protestors and rich executives threaten female reporters who won’t stop talking with personal attacks pulled from private investigators, silence is not ok.

And that is why, despite our national love of Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable, silence is not an option. Not for me. Not for his countless fans. Not for a media finally ready to deal with the dirt and thankfully, not for the women who are sharing their painful, private stories. It is time to counter his silence with other forms of power. The power of our common sense to see behind a made-for-TV character. The power of these women to, at the very least, have their voices heard. And the power for all of us to seek truth and justice, however unsettling it may be.

Edited to highlight most powerful portion of editorial.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Trusted Contributor

On 11/21/2014 terrier3 said:

How can his "fans" stand by him? At least his wife has children, years, money to bind them together.

He makes tough love speeches re: minority youth, so people will overlook the fact he is most likely a predator?????

I agree.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 SuiGeneris said:

I was thinking the same thing after seeing the uncomfortable portion of the AP interview with Bill Cosby and his wife at the Smithsonian.

I found this very good editorial at TIME, written by , addressing this "good wife" syndrome in regard to Camille Cosby:

What the couple's response to allegations of sexual assault reveal about the scandal

Camille Cosby smiles, uncomfortably shifting in her chair. Staring off camera, switching positions, silent. In the latest contribution to the Bill Cosby saga, we see husband and wife side by side as he addresses the very act of questioning about his numerous rape allegations in an AP interview (above). Mrs. Cosby continues to smile and looks away from the reporter several times, both she and her husband presuming that the cameras have stopped rolling. I will not read into her silence. I will not pull meaning about this woman and her thoughts and decisions other than to say that in the watching, the silence is palpable, wince-inducing and profoundly painful.

That exchange highlights the most meaningful currency in this 30+ year long drama that is just now seeing its climax unfold on the public stage: silence. At every turn, it is the silence that serves as a proxy for power in the story of Bill Cosby, his alleged sexual deviance and the current downward spiral of public opinion. Silence here, as in most cases, represents the power wielded and power taken by those who are seen as, well, powerful.

In Cosby’s story we find accusations of women being silenced for decades by threats, lawyers, fear and a generally defensive public, who until now were uninterested in being awakened from sweet dreams of their TV father.

The NPR audio interview released last week showcases Cosby’s clearly pre-determined response to the softest, almost nervous questions about the rape allegations: deafening silence.

This should not be viewed as the mature response of a well respected, integrity filled man (and in the case of his wife, a beloved, regal woman) attempting to maintain dignity and stay above the fray. It should be seen as what it is: A power move by a someone so arrogant that he thinks he shouldn’t even be asked about the fact that 15 women are accusing him of a horrific crime.

The silence of those publicly associated with Mr. Cosby is also noticeable, as comedians who revere him and actors and actresses whose careers were made by him avoid addressing the not-new bombshell like the plague.

And even in the most recent AP video, as Mrs. Cosby sits idly by, the central tension between Mr. Cosby and the reporter revolves around him pressuring the journalist into, what? Silence. He calmly yet persistently requests the editing out of his own “no comment” response to the reporter’s request for a statement. Be clear: In the actual interview, Mr. Cosby refused to discuss it, saying “I don’t talk about that.” It is that exchange that he wants scrubbed from the record. He even wants his silence silenced.

History teaches us that silence is often the most effective tool of power. It forces others into submission. It attempts to control a narrative. It hides things. And it is often a strategic attempt on the part of the powerful to shame other voices – the victims, the oppressed, the challengers, the inquisitors – into a similar silence.

But right now as Missouri police use military tactics and tear gas to force silence upon outraged but peaceful Ferguson protestors and rich executives threaten female reporters who won’t stop talking with personal attacks pulled from private investigators, silence is not ok.

And that is why, despite our national love of Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable, silence is not an option. Not for me. Not for his countless fans. Not for a media finally ready to deal with the dirt and thankfully, not for the women who are sharing their painful, private stories. It is time to counter his silence with other forms of power. The power of our common sense to see behind a made-for-TV character. The power of these women to, at the very least, have their voices heard. And the power for all of us to seek truth and justice, however unsettling it may be.

Edited to highlight most powerful portion of editorial.

Really good article, thank you for posting it.

Honored Contributor

On 11/21/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 11/21/2014 adelle38 said:

The public always decides who's going to earn a living in the entertainment business. If people don't want to see, you'll lose your income.

If done legitimately. I totally agree, if a person makes a rotten movie, for instance, and it flops then that's the risk the actor took and his/her income will be affected. That's a whole lot different than taking away his OPPORTUNITY to make an income.

He has a net worth of over 400 million dollars.

He should go away quietly...

Respected Contributor

ITA re great article. This line was exactly how I felt when watching Camille:

I will not pull meaning about this woman and her thoughts and decisions other than to say that in the watching, the silence is palpable, wince-inducing and profoundly painful.