Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reports: Charles Manson in hospital

I personally think the death penalty for anyone like him is too easy. I am glad he didn't get it for a couple of reasons but none that have to do with pity. One is because as tax payers, we pay more to put someone to death than we do to house them for years. By the time we pay for all of their appeals, it is into the millions of dollars. It is also more expensive to house death row inmates. They have to be housed in separate units and they have more correction officers and that costs twice as much, sometimes 3 times as much just for the housing and officers alone. None of that includes the appeals so when all of that is considered, it is much more than just letting them live out their lives in prison. Most of the states that do NOT have the death penalty do not have it simply because they cannot afford it.

The other reason is I feel spending your life in jail with others who are as twisted, dangerous and abusive as the other inmates are would be much more painful on not only a physical level but emotional one. Just trying to survive every day is agony for most in jail. They hate it. To me, that would be much more difficult than just dying and escaping years of mental and physical abuse. If I had a someone in my family lost to one of these animals, I think I would want them to get life in prison with no possibility of parole and then have to live day after day in that hell hole.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

He deserves no kindness at all,he is PURE EVIL, he will stand before GOD ,just like us all.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It makes me sick the media thinks this is news.

I know it is fashionable to bash the media, but, with all due respect, I think it's a bit naive to think that this is not news.  The Manson case was very big news when the murders took place and has remained in the public consciousness for all these years.

As for Manson, I think most of can agree that he is a dispicable human being.  Having said that, I understand those who believe that it is not for us to stoop to his level.  If I had a loved one who was killed by Manson or his "followers," I would probably want to see him suffer horribly.  But maybe not.  There are many instances of survivors who do not seek revenge.  We are all different.

Another poster mentioned that life in prison is probably far worse than being executed, and I agree with that.  Although I doubt that Manson spends his days filled with remorse, I still think life in prison is likely very miserable, not just physically but also psychologically.  I'm guessing that for many living in these circumstances, death would be preferable.  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I'm glad that we have the kind of justice system that  treats people humanely

Why behave just like him?  That makes one ,no different ,than he is. Who would want to sink to that level?

Oh, please. This guy was given the death sentence and should have been executed many years ago.   He got to live  --- his victims didn't.

@Pearleeyes... not only live... but live with food, water, exercise, showers,  medical care  TV, movies, books..... 

He should had had HARD LABOR all these years... but our lacy frilly panty corrections environment coddles murderers and rapists and theives and treats them better than we treat our Vets.  Go figure.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He should had been put too death long ago,we payed for him all these years later.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

That horrible, nasty, evil man will undoubtedly die way more humanely than any of his victims, in that hospital. What a waste of flesh!! I am not an advocate of the death penalty--costs we taxpayers millions and millions of $$ to let them stay on death row for 15 or 20 years, getting way more rights than they deserve,  but that man is in the class that Hitler is in,  undeniable the devils spawn!!! Good riddance!!!

Honored Contributor

I'll never forget those murders -- innocent 8 month pregnant Sharon Tate, begging to live!

I read that book Helter Skelter and he is the most famous of serial killers along with his 'family' of followers.

I will not miss him if he dies. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Showing a person kindness, regardless if they deserve it or not, is more of a reflection of you than them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Showing a person kindness, regardless if they deserve it or not, is more of a reflection of you than them.

Well said. I have always believed since we live in a civilized society, the way in which we treat our prisoners is indicative of that.

Trusted Contributor

@cherry

You are absolutely correct.  I was feeling a bit devlish myself and started giving all of the comments that want him dead a heart.  Lol.  But when I saw your post, I realized you are 100% right.  Our faith doesn't believe in "an eye for an eye".  Revenge is not ours to seek out.  

Thanks for the reality check  Smiley Happy  Heart