Esteemed Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@chrystaltree   I thought of calling the cops but decided not to.  Had NO idea who the person was so no way was I going to go out to a strange truck in the middle of the night either!  If it happens again I am callling the cops though.

That is exactly why you should have called the police, you had no idea what the truck was doing sitting there, burglery, rape, murder.  The police would have cleared it up right then and there.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Repo Men-what to do?

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear  If this does not stop, get a restraining order and make sure that you follow through.  It is unfortunate that you have inherited a former tenant's problem, but unless you are ready to move to another apartment, you need to take care of yourself.  Let your neighbors know what is going on.  Someone in your complex probably knows where the previous tenants have relocated, and the post office may also know.  Also, let your employer and your family know.  The more people know are aware, the safer, hopefully, you are.  The police can do drive-bys throughout the day and evening.  I hope that you stay safe and that you don't need a lawyer to do so.  I would be more concerned that this has nothing to do with a former tenant and more to do with stalking you.  Take every measure to protect yourself.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Hun, check my registration on the left there. I've been here for a spell I've been poofed and banned. LOL

I've seen 'em come and go. Used to be somebody could really let you have it and vice versa. Sides would be taken and the pile ons would begin,now, the mods don't put up with no 'stuff' and just poof the whole thread.

I've got experience under my belt. LOL I notice your kind of new to the boards. You'll see as you navigate around what I'm talking about

@FlowerBear 

Honored Contributor

Re: Repo Men-what to do?

[ Edited ]

In general, repossession agents are not friendly and can be downright nasty. They deal with a lot of garbage from a lot of dead beats.  I would never go out and talk to them.  I do not believe they are supposed to be sitting in your driveway.  They have to be out on the street.  Anyone can tell a repo agent that the car they are looking for belongs to someone who doesn't live there. And the person could be lying.  It happens all the time.  That's the reason the person is sitting there. To see if the car actually shows up.  The agent can only go by the address he has from the lender. 

Call the police and be done with it.   

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@FlowerBear wrote:

@chrystaltree i did not create a problem

Like I said, the vast majority of people would have called the police when they parked on your property for an entire night.  Your silence in the matter makes them think this another person hiding a car from them.  People do all sorts of things to stay one step ahead of the repo men.  They have no reason NOT to believe that woman doesn't live in the house.  

Assuming this is a single family residence, not a common driveway, I would've called the cops about someone sitting in a car, trespassing on my property. And that would be the end of my involvement.

I'm not going to investigate for the repo agents, get involved in securing her mailing info or anything else. They can look at the public tax records to see who owns the property, and contact owners about the former tenant's whereabouts.

Perhaps she used a credit card with them or they have bank info from her rent checks. That all has to go through legal channels, and I'd keep my nose out of it.

You're right Chrystaltree. People who work in repo are used to the cops showing up with a call of trespassing and suspicious behavior, UNLESS the resident at this address is avoiding the police too!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I was having, few yrs. back,  trouble with a deadbeat gal , supposedly with the same phone number. Was getting dun calls from banks holding credit cards with this woman.

told them that's not me, blah, blah.

Finally, called the phone company and paid for new phone #. One time charge. Also, got Call Blocker. call pops up don't know or recognize the phone number I hit the RED button and they're blocked from calling back

@SharkE  et al, I had that happen to me with a cellphone number.  After I changed all my contacts and gave them the new number I started getting calls from Collection Agencies.  I advised them I was not her.  I am Canadian.  After you advise them, they are given 24 hours to get your number off their system or they can be charged.  After a week or two of PIA calls, they stopped.  I was happy about that as I didn’t want to have to go through the new number business again with all my contacts.

OP, I am of the same mind ... try to advise reps company she no longer lives there and, if they show up again, call the police.  Good luck!  Such a nuisance.  LM

Respected Contributor

Seems to me that that it would be easy enough to clear up if the repo guy just asked the manager if the tenant has moved.  A repo guy is not out to harm you, he's doing his job of getting property back.  Now that you know who he is, give him the manager's phone # so he can verify and move on.

Honored Contributor

I think she'll mess up and all by herself. Write bad checks, credit card fraud, by their deeds ye shall know them. She'll get caught.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I was having, few yrs. back,  trouble with a deadbeat gal , supposedly with the same phone number. Was getting dun calls from banks holding credit cards with this woman.

told them that's not me, blah, blah.

Finally, called the phone company and paid for new phone #. One time charge. Also, got Call Blocker. call pops up don't know or recognize the phone number I hit the RED button and they're blocked from calling back

@SharkE  et al, I had that happen to me with a cellphone number.  After I changed all my contacts and gave them the new number I started getting calls from Collection Agencies.  I advised them I was not her.  I am Canadian.  After you advise them, they are given 24 hours to get your number off their system or they can be charged.  After a week or two of PIA calls, they stopped.  I was happy about that as I didn’t want to have to go through the new number business again with all my contacts.

OP, I am of the same mind ... try to advise reps company she no longer lives there and, if they show up again, call the police.  Good luck!  Such a nuisance.  LM

Moved here 2 years ago - required to have a landline here for gate access and it gets about 8 calls a week for the deadbeats that had this number before.  I've picked up and told more than one that it's not me they are looking for and the calls go away and start back up months later.  I'm lucky bc mine is only on the phone and not someone at my residence. 

I assume I"m stlll getting calls bc I've read these lists get sold many times over.  I have nomorobo.com free through Verizon which knocks down a lot of these calls but then they start back up again.  The stupid thing - I've looked up these ppl's name and it shows this as a "former" number and then hides the last two digits of their new number - but I'll be darned if I'm gonna do their work for them.  If I can find it so easily - they can too!

Honored Contributor

https://www.qvc.com/CPR-Call-Blocker-w-6500-Number-Blocking-and-3-Year-Warranty.product.E231630.html...

hook up to landline phones. Best thing I ever bought ! bought 1 for sister too