Respected Contributor

Re: Repeating the word "AGAIN."

"Once again" = Tara.   She says it far too often.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind, it is difficult not to repeat especially if you are showing the TSV for an entire hour. 

I get a kick when the host say - I don't want you to miss out since qtys are limited.

Hmmm....of course they are talking to me rather than the other QVC customer, right?

Valued Contributor

I just wish they would describe the product and move on.  Sometimes they don't even mention the item number.  I really don't think it's necessary to have the product rep on to sell the product.  QVC reps should be able to describe items by themselves.

Honored Contributor

@jonanna wrote:

Has anyone else  noticed that (lately) 

some vendors and some  hosts are repeating

the words "And Again" several times

during their presentations ?

It's getting quite comical. Smiley Very Happy

I guess they have been told to make sure

that we're all paying attention!

@jonanna

Nope, never noticed. You ever had a "gig" that required you to talk in perpetuity? I have announced hockey games where there is very little down time. Even then, upon listening to recordings of my play by play calls, I found I used some words quite often.

Hosts and/or vendors are in a business that not only requires adequate knowledge of a product, but also have to keep talking as the cameras roll.

If you have done something similar, than you should understand. I am guessing you probably have not. I can assure you it "ain't as easy as it appears". Let me know how it goes for ya. And again, "it ain't as easy as it appears".

I think most hosts do quite well with their vocabulary in this respect.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:
These hosts start at a six figure salary and the vendors hired by these companies get big bucks for reping the products. IMO they should be able to talk about the products all day and not have to be muted or turned off by the customer.

@blackhole99

Your source of starting salaries please. Thank you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  I read posts right here on the boards about the 6 figure salaries of the hosts and someone posted an ad from the Q one time when they were looking for a rep. I don't recall what the dollar amount was for the rep, but it was between 600-800 dollars per stint on air. We all know it isn't cheap to live in the Phila. area and these hosts all have homes, cars, kids in college and private schools, etc. I don't think it's far fetched to say they earn 6 figures to start.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut A quick Google search I found this....

"Starting Salary

• QVC regularly recruits hosts via its website, as well as via casting directors. It also holds open auditions at its West Chester headquarters. Casting directors sometimes solicit applications using websites and other casting billboards in cities as far as San Francisco. Online ads in 2010 listed the starting salary for a QVC host as $100,000.

Sales-Based Bonuses

• QVC hosts may start in the $100,000 range, but they have opportunities to earn more based upon sales numbers during their shifts, according to former employee Victor Velez in a New York Times article. These bonuses can increase their salaries to more than $500,000, according to Mr. Velez. In a 2007 New York Times article, HSN host Terry McNally claimed that QVC hosts often earn as much as $500,000 per year.

Popularity-Based Bonuses

• According to Black Enterprise magazine, QVC hosts can also receive bonuses based on their popularity with viewers. Former QVC host Phyllis Lampkin is quoted in the magazine as saying that viewers who called to order products were polled on how well they liked the look and personality of the show host. Those with the highest viewer approval ratings received quarterly bonuses, according to the story."

FULL ARTICLE LINK

I have noticed that most if not all of the hosts & hostesses have backgrounds in entertainment (actors & actresses included) & journalism (news & radio anchors included).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99

Thank you for your reply. I have never had a clue about their salaries. I was under the impression that they were on some type of commission, "the more $$ you bring in" the money in their pockets.

I also thought that those that worked more Prime Hours, got not only the best hours, but also the higher level items with the biggest profit margin.  I guess I was wrong on that count.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut I heard more than one host say that people buy more product on line than from their shows. They indeed get a percentage from the sales during their shows, but evidently selling isn't the only function they are responsible for. Look at all the time they spend on the blogs and familiarizing themselves with the product and even traveling for the Q.