Honored Contributor

Re: Repairing an old appliance vs buying a new one

Our appliances in the laundry room are probably 15 years old. The washer and dryer are Sears Kenmore and certainly not top of the line.My husband who is very talented replaced the heating element in the dryer and a belt on the washer. Our fridge upstairs is a 20 year old Kenmore and our Whirlpool stove is at least that old, my husband has replaced the heating element in that twice and we have replaced burners. Since my husband does all the work it only costs for the parts which we got on line. I don't spend money on large appliances unless absolutely necessary.

Honored Contributor

OMG!  This subject hits close to me!

So I have a JennAire dishwasher that works great.

The problem is the top and bottom baskets have rusted terribly.

So many times I’ve looked into replacing them but the price is $250 each!  Yes!  Each!

About 1 year ago I finally ordered them from Sears.  I waited and waited.....but I noticed the charge never went through.

About 2 months later I called Sears and they said “They could no longer get them”.

Back to square one!  It’s an amazing dishwasher and has stuff I don’t even use.  I don’t want the hassle of buying a new one and having it installed, especially since the one I have works great.

I guess I’ll have to “bite the bullet” so to speak and cough up the $500 for two baskets.

I’ve looked everywhere ( internet, everywhere).  I can’t find them under $250 each.. I’ve even had my daughter look in case I missed something.

I guess I’ll just have to order them at $500!

I’ve always thought it seems like “old stuff” is better made than some of this new stuff.  However, I do love gadgets with bells and whistles.  I’d get a new one; but like I said, mine has everything already on it!

Maybe you’re wondering why get new baskets if everything works?

Well, I decided I want to live in this house for at least one year with everything just like it was when the house was brand new.  My late husband and I built this house.  He designed it and I papered, stained and painted everything. It’s been “redone due to a house fire” but there are still some things I’ve negleted to fix since he died.

Many of you widows know what I mean as we’re in the same boat.  The house has long been paid for and it’s just way too big for just me.

Again, some of you are in the same boat.  You’ll understand about me wanting to bring it back to new, but to want to live in it like that.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee the machines you mentioned....if not sold in the big box stores, where do you go to look at them?

Esteemed Contributor

I had a 16-year old Sears washer and dryer.....both stopped working twice and needed the control panels replaced both times in years 13 and 15. I paid $65 each time for the repairman to come out and around $175 for new control panels both times. The third time it went out, we decided it was no longer worth another repair bill. I was fine with the first repair expenses - I thought twice about the second one - and said no to the third one....should've said no the second time! I'd get an estimate and see what the repair would cost.

Honored Contributor

If it were my dryer, I would have it checked first, because not starting up sounds like the issue is in the switch.   

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Foxxee the machines you mentioned....if not sold in the big box stores, where do you go to look at them?

@Mom2Dogs 

Appliance dealer stores that have a license from the manufacturer to sell them.  

Here is the link to Maytag's dryer.  Look at the top of the page for "Where to buy."  Enter zip code.  Will show a list of appliance dealers in your area.  

https://www.maytag.com/washers-and-dryers/dryers/electric/p.7.4-cu.-ft.-commercial-grade-residential...

Here is Speed Queen's dryer.  "Where to buy."

https://speedqueen.com/products/home-products/dryers/

The Speed Queen DC5 dryer is the mate to the latest washer introduced Spring 2019, made exactly like their old very reliable washers that lasted 20-25 years.

If I can be of more help, let me know.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee thanks so much!  My appliances are OK right now but I will not purchase another front loader.  For the 2nd time in about 8 years we are replacing the front door lock switch!  The door will not lock, and if it is not locked it will not work.

My DH is not handy but he is able to change this part and it's only about $25.00.  But for now, I cannot do laundry until the part arrives, grrr.

Esteemed Contributor

If my mom taught me anything, she taught me this, go with the basic model.

Sure, bells & whistles are nice and fancy, but that's just more parts that can break.

That's why when I moved in the home that I'm living at now, I bought the most basic washer and dryer that the local appliance store sold.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Have you tried ebay?  I got new silverware holders and used racks for a previous dishwasher that was 10 years old at very low prices.  

The used racks were in excellent condition.

Racks are outrageously priced probably wanting us to buy a new dishwasher.  

Honored Contributor

I have had 2 dryers in 43 years. The first one I had over 30 yrs. LOL!!! DH did replace a part or 2 during that time.

Guess it just depends on what's wrong with it plus cost of the part.

I still buy the old type washers & dryers not the new ones with all the electronics.

You can Google what it's doing to see if you can find what's wrong with it.